View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #16
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sterling receives lifetime ban, $2.5 million fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
I don't get it. I mean I would think the guy would have eventually had to step down and/or sell the franchise just because the players would boycott the franchise.

Obviously, his personal views are considered to be in poor taste in the U.S. in 2014 by a lot of people... but it seems like the NBA really went overboard on this one. I mean you're basically banning and fining an 80 year old man for being racist. WTF.

I mean, what's next? Is a disgruntled employee going to record a 70 year old owner saying he thinks homosexuality is a sin? This just seems kind of wrong.
It's really much simpler than this, it's just about the money. The NBA is a business, and they can't afford to keep him anymore. Players won't want to play for him, coaches won't want to coach for him, and numerous fans won't show up to the games. And all of this is due to his views being made public. You can argue that the way they were made public was wrong, but that is what they are, and it is detrimental to the league from a financial standpoint.

So the solution is simple, he can't be a part of it anymore. He is free to think whatever he wants, no one is throwing him in jail. But what he thinks can have consequences on who wants to associate with him, and in this case he is part of a business that requires sponsorships, fans and players, none of which want to be near him now.