View Single Post
Old 05-12-2014, 04:42 PM   #14
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material
Default Re: Half of the JUCO Top Ten Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by brat View Post
While I hope we do well with these guys in recruiting, I tend to be more cautious about hanging our success around Juco's. They have little time to learn our system and play, of course, and for whatever reason, many in our past have not been stellar, to put it mildly.

SOS has been reluctant to bring many in for one class and would not like this to be a regular thing. Too easy to get top heavy in your classes, but then again, we have more people declaring for the NFL and not staying long enough to graduate that in the past.

Oh, well, our coaches know best, just another sign of the times, perhaps.
Who was the highest rated JUCO we've brought in? I don't remember, so I'm genuinely asking. Was it Rok? I looked at the 247 JUCO rankings going back to '09. The highest rated one from then to now is #16 Abu Lamin. Just looking at the guys in the Top 10 every year I saw some really big names, guys now playing in the NFL. I'm sure there were several busts too, but a lot of the guys in the Top 10 for that year were All Stars in college.

Also, a lot of the "big" programs were often recruiting these Top 10 JUCO guys (bama, auburn, fsu, even oregon....) We already have huge holes to fill on the DL and we'll have holes to fill everywhere after this season. I'm okay with gambling on JUCO's b/c I see them as being much more ready for Div I football at the start of 2015, as opposed to many of the HS Sr's we're recruiting right now. Mainly b/c of the S&C programs these guys are in and years of experience. Even a bad JUCO team would whoop up on a good HS team, b/c of the size/strength advantage.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote