View Single Post
Old 05-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Strange Rules and Penalties

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
There are a couple of rules I wish were in college that the pros have. The one you named is one of them. I also wish PI penalties against the defense were spot fouls.

And for both college and pro ball, I wish they would get rid of automatic first downs due to a penalty when the penalty yardage wouldn't be enough to give the offense the first down. It just doesn't make sense to me that a team could be backed way up (something like 3rd and 25), the defense gets called for a penalty like defensive holding or even a personal foul, and the offense gets a free first down.

I remember a few years back UGA and UT were playing in Knoxville, and UGA ended up in 3rd and 57. If UT had been called for one of the penalties in question, then UGA would've been bailed out even though their own penalties put them in the situation. How would that make sense to say one penalty is worse than all the ones the other team had? Here's the video:

While I understand your argument, trust me you don't want that. Here is why I say that. High School football got rid of the automatic first down on PI and personal fouls, which sounded good. However, if you are in a first and goal situation and they get a PI or PF, it is only a half the distance to the goal and replay the down foul. So basically they allowed defenses to start mugging WR when inside the red zone and daring the ref to call it repeatedly.

If you screw up and get an automatic first down penalty that is your fault, not the refs. Whose to say that PI wouldn't have stopped a play that would have been a first down.