Originally Posted by Evilchicken2
I don't think Tanner is sitting in a comfortable position at all. You have the spectre of replacing Spurrier looming. You have the unenviable task of trying to make sure Dawn Staley is wrapped up for years. You have a hot head BBall coach, and a weak program. The baseball program you birthed doesnt have an identity. There's plenty to keep Ray up at night, especially because these things have to be anticipated even if they are 2, 3, 4 yrs down the road. The man at the precipice of success has to worry about the eventual descent.
1. Spurrier has stated and is truthful, he will leave when he is ready. Per his own mouth at lease another 5 years.
2. USC (Tanner as AD) just renegotiated Staley's contract last year, too include a hefty buy out and a large raise. Plus, she turned down her Alma Mater and a possible massive amount of money from Ohio State. If that couldn't get her to leave, it will take a major job opening (Tenn, Stanford, UConn, Baylor, etc) and no amount of money would keep her at USC.
3. Frank Martin will be fine, considering the dumpster fire he inherited. Martin was known to have a temper before getting hired and bottom line, had his curse out not been caught on camera, no one would have ever made a big deal out it.
4. Define identity please. The still have won 40+ games a season, came within one game of making it back to the CWS in Holbrook's first year (Tanner didn't make it until year 5). Despite a mash unit of injuries this season, still are in great shape.
5. Tanner took over an athletic dept. in vastly better shape than Hyman did. All the major projects were already bonded and on the board. What could creep up? Tanner helped keep one of the best athletes in the history of the school out of the paper (Clowney), he (metaphorically) single handed built the baseball park while a coach and is a great ambassador to the school.
Stop wanting the other shoe to drop. Sheesh.