View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 03:56 PM   #3
markp_vip
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5578670
markp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot materialmarkp_vip is USC mascot material
Default Re: Dogs running free in my neighborhood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I've lived in my current home for exactly one year now. Ever since we moved in a year ago, we noticed a group of three medium-sized dogs roaming freely throughout the neighborhood. The dogs once came into my yard and destroyed something (nothing major or expensive at all), so that prompted me to put up a few signs in the neighborhood asking whoever owns the dogs to secure their pets.

That seemed to work for roughly a month, but eventually, the dogs were allowed to have freedom again. As a dog lover myself, I wouldn't really mind it too much IF my family and I could "get to know" the dogs, but the dogs are not friendly, have chased me and my son while we were riding our bikes, and if I call to them and take even one step, they will growl or bark and then run away from me.

I feel like these dogs are a threat to my son, because I'm not convinced an 8-year old boy will command the same respect/fear from the dogs I do. And since I noticed the people just got another dog they also allow to roam (much younger and smaller, but will be about the same size I think), I finally decided to call animal control about it, because these people are simply growing the pack of dogs without thinking of the potential problems the dogs cause.

The problem is, I feel a little guilty about it, because the dogs all do have collars, so I know they belong to someone who lives nearby, and I would hate to lose my dog, but I make sure my dog is either on the leash or on his runner when he is outside. I just wish these people would do the same. I did put up another set of signs, but nothing ever came of them except them being torn down by someone.

Should I feel guilty about it, or did I do the right thing?
As a dog lover and owner of 4 dogs I say you're doing the right thing. It's not safe for people in your neighborhood or for the dogs themselves to be wandering around off leash.