Thread: Sound City
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2014, 04:24 PM   #5
Master Bedroom
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material
Default Re: Sound City

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Great doc IMO.

It came under fire from some music critics and do it yourself musicians who felt that it was overly critical of Pro Tools. The basic premise of the argument is that not everyone can afford studio time and that there are many good to great albums that would not exist without Pro Tools. Pro Tools allowed struggling musicians w/o money to prodcue their art and get it to the masses.

While the "anti"- Music City crowd may have a point, I do think that on some level music has become soulless. Pro Tools is not the only culprit. I mainly think that music streaming services killed the album. Additionally, comsumers no longer have to purchase whole albums and are therefore not as invested in bands,musicians, etc. These however are 2 different conversations - music losing some of it's authenticity is a conversation about the musicians. How we consume music and our attachment (or lack thereof)to certain bands is more about what it means to be a modern fan of music.
Yea all good points here. There is always going to be the anti crowd to anything..as well as the traditionalist or "originals". I don't think it means that either/or is better/worse or right/wrong. As an amaetuer music producer/recorder I use software that is along the lines of pro tools...but if given the chance I would love to go into a studio like sound city and analog the sh*t out of a record.
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote