View Single Post
Old 06-02-2014, 10:26 PM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Our Linebackers and Defense this year.

I really don't see the strength widely touted at linebacker and spur. I'm hoping it will develop. I don't like bashing players (except for the yelling I did at my TV last year). At middle LB last year, I saw very bad diagnosing skills, too many bites on misdirection, and woeful pass coverage. I think we have a lack of stopping power at MLB, WLB and spur. Making tackles several yards downfield is a problem against power running teams. Poor pursuit downfield led to several big gainers and cost us the Tennessee game. Our highly-rated rising-soph wil linebacker has tons of football talent, but arm tackles a lot. A couple of our linebackers looked lost in short pass coverage last year even past the 8th game. I'm hoping to see a pickup in size and hitting ability matching the potential these players have.
On the DL, we likely have a bevvy of really good DT's and some questions at DE, especially with losing the disruptiveness Clowney brought. Last year, teams basically abandoned dropback passing in favor of 2 step stuff. They mostly attacked one side. This year, I think we have DL quality by depth with no stars and players going hard every play knowing they won't be playing 80 reps and with a big rotation at DT and special packages at DE. 3-4 will likely be mixed-in as appropriate if the team gets it mastered.
Corner worries me if we can't get pressure up front. We seem stronger at safety, and I think have some ball-hawks there. I think our linebackers and spurs might be able to turn in some opportunistic ints to help out as well.
J Thomas and D Johnson are a couple of DE's I'm hoping will shore up our edge-sealing. If they can pass rush well, I think we will have a few less headaches (and cuss sessions). Dixon 44 played solidly last year, and seems to have the desire and drive to get better. English has great promise that I hope gets fulfilled. Let's hope our tweeners fill the lack of size with heart and ill intent. Can't wait to see how fall camp opens.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote