View Single Post
Old 06-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #8
RoosterBooster
2nd Team All-SEC

CockyCash: 100500
RoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot materialRoosterBooster is USC mascot material
Default Re: Smoking Butt: Fat Up or Down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Yeah, I am wondering how much it affects the bark. On mine, the bark is usually dark all over...then I see some online photos of smokes from others and they have spotted bark with what I would call more of a "redness/well done" look. I wondered if maybe the fat up/down was causing that.

What temp do you cook at, that could be a factor. Fat up or down shouldn't have anything to do with it. Could be due to something (too much sugar) in the rub. Certain spices can also cause that. Could be caused by the heat source to close to the meat. Putting a rack on top of a steamer pan filled with liquid (I use 1/3 apple juice, 1/3 sider vinegar, 1/3 water and add a little bourbon) can help with that if you want a lighter bark. Some people kill for that dark smoky bark.