View Single Post
Old 06-19-2014, 01:15 PM   #3
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Successful Spurrier QBs? Not just at Carolina.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingoftheroost View Post
I thought about putting this in the cockpit, but then I thought it would be better to put it in the locker room.

Anyway, I regularly see people talk about how Spurrier is a QB "guru" and how his presence should attract a lot of big-time players or how a QB who has learned under Spurrier should be considered an attractive prospect at the next level.

I'm honestly not saying it's not true, but I just don't know where it's coming from. Who have been successful QBs who have been considered Spurrier guys? And when you talk about success, does it mean only in college or college and pro?

I can only think of one off the top of my head who has had any success at the professional level, and even it was limited, and that's Rex Grossman. So please help me out. Thanks.
Hard to say that on a collegiate level he has not had successful QB's once he got his guys in place.

From a pro perspective, the same can be said of many college coaches if you think about it. Does Nick Saban have a QB in the league that is doing well? Does Urban Meyer? You could argue Pete Carroll's guys do ok counting Carson Palmer and parts of Matt Leinart's career, but then you throw in the ups and downs (butt fumbles) of Mark Sanchez and would you say that was anywhere on par with their collegiate performances?

In fact, I am trying to think of the most successful pro QB's and trace their performance back to a common college approach. Lloyd Carr may be able to take credit for Tom Brady, Chad Henne, Brian Griese and maybe Ryan Mallett? If Aaron Murray does well, maybe Mark Richt also counting Matt Stafford??

I guess I'd say you would have to credit Lloyd Carr. He has a superstar, one of the best ever to play in Brady, a guy who holds his own in Henne and a pro that played for many teams in addition to a high potential guy in Mallett. Other than that, I seriously can't think of a college coach with high success actually had QB's that translated well to the pros with any frequency.