View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where do you draw the line between parental discipline and child abuse

What was done that you considered excessive?

Surely not being humiliated. Many kids these days could learn a few lessons from some humility.

If anything, parental discipline has dropped off BIG TIME versus when I was a kid. I can't remember the last time I saw a kid get his ass worn out with a spanking/switch/belt. Now it is all verbal and time-out oriented. I feared the belt or a whipping when I was younger and it made me question behavior I was contemplating acting on. Takeaways/timeouts/grounded always made me view my parents as weak when they tried that...I didn't take it seriously. I imagine many kids think the same way, even if it is subconscious. Humans need to fear punishment and people to correct behaviors I think. It's why jail/prison time is highly ineffective at correcting behaviors.

It's funny because I think physical punishment for dogs is ridiculous and many people pop their dogs, shove their face in poop or damaged items, etc to correct them...and I know it doesn't work and they don't respond to it. But human beings...kids...yeah, they get it.

I have multiple sets of nieces and nephews. Only 1 set has a mom/dad that believes in spankings for punishment. When we get together for events or are in public, his kids are always the best behaved. The others are running around testing their parents and constantly a battle "stop it!" and meaningless demands from the parents for the kids to stop. It only takes an eye from the other dad to let them know what happens if they follow the lead of their cousins who are acting up.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote