View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 01:39 PM   #13
rdwylie
My safe word is whiskey.

Male

CockyCash: 400
rdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot materialrdwylie is USC mascot material
Default Re: Where do you draw the line between parental discipline and child abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
I can't stand that

It shows nothing has worked, or nothing is being done in the first place
That is the part that shows where most parents truly are as far as the consistency of their discipline is concerned. Most parents, myself included at times, parent by volume: no, No, NO! It is such a hassle to discipline the kid after the first "no". But the child realizes that until we have lost our cool we are not serious about what they are doing or not doing. If every actual offense is met by immediate consequences the child is trained over time to think better of their actions before they do them. Isn't this the goal of discipline? If offenses are met with three or four warnings of increasing volume they know they have a chance to get away with stuff.

It is all about the heart of the parent FOR the child. Do I love my child enough to address what they are doing or do I just want to stay on the couch. I have had many a meal get cold sitting on my kitchen table because I was talking with my kid about their rebellion and walking my kid through the disciplinary process. I do not have it licked by any means. But the younger they are when you start and the firmer you are at being consistent does yield fruit of obedience.