View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Re: Can someone fill me in on these things

Quote:
Originally Posted by vthokies View Post
Im trying to better understand the history of SC since I will be moving there soon.

Do people call it USC or SC?

USC and SC are both trade marked by Southern California. I get confused often when people are talking football and say USC. I've heard USC-e and USC-jr. I think just saying South Carolina will be best?..

When singing the alma mater (i think), everyone puts up their thumb and pinky like "surfs up". What does that stand for/meaning behind it? Columbia isn't at the beach so I thought I would ask here.

Thank you in advanced!

We are the original USC .... We had a University in SC before California was
a State in the union. However, our university didn't have the foresight (didn't
think it necessary I guess) to register or trademark the "USC" or SC either.
So Cal did and so OFFICIALLY, USC is most often used to refer to SoCal.
South Carolina is either Carolina (In This state) vs North Carolina
or simply South Carolina.

The arm raised at the end of the Alma Mata is actually to represent Holding
a Glass / Challis. The last line of the AM is "Here's a Health Carolina, Forever
to Thee
". Health being Toast (to your health) , as the hand is raised.