View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 10:59 AM   #1
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material
Default July 4 holiday cooking

What you got? A long weekend leaves lots of time for cooking. This is what I have been doing.

I kicked it off Wednesday with black pepper and blue cheese smoked sausages. I cut them in half lengthwise, put them in buns, made up some broccoli Cole slaw, pita chip cups with dips, mixed olives, and bourbon marinated and grilled peaches.

Since I did dogs on Wednesday I did burgers on Thursday. It was storming so I had to cook inside. I got meatloaf grillers from Publix. They mix half of their in house meatloaf with half ground chuck and form into patties. They are very large and a half patty was all we needed each. I added additional seasonings and fried them over heat in come rendered bacon fat. I wanted the outside blackened but the inside mostly uncooked. After draining I made a braising liquid of beef broth, Dijon mustard, Worseshitonfire sauce, tomato paste, and the red wine we would be drinking, an Elki Syrah. I let the burgers finish cooking in that over a bare simmer. Meanwhile I made a bacon grease sauteed mushroom Bearnaise sauce and some 5 cheese garlic bread. I placed some diced tomato, chopped red onion, and the crumbled bacon on the toast. The burgers went on top of that and the mushroom sauce covered all. I served that with some of the leftover slaw, Alexia tater tots, and a fresh tomato slice marinated in a Caesar dressing and topped with fresh basil and avocado and a slice of Buffalo mozzarella. I ran that under the broiler to bubble up the cheese a bit.

I made strawberry shortcakes for dessert. Instead of my usual Italian ones made with red wine I made this with this ale. It was a lighter effervescent version that was nice on such a hot and muggy day.

On Friday I was too busy with fireworks and such and prepping the food for Saturday so I didn't cook much. Curly's roast beef was on BOGO at Publix as well as a good variety of mashed taters. Heated the beef in the leftover mushroom sauce. I added some bread, and Old Bay seasoned roasted asparagus and spinach dip. More strawberry shortcake.

So what is it I am doing today? Ribs it is! I had a couple of racks of good St. Louis style ribs in the freezer. Thawed them and rubbed them and they are now doing a 3-2-1 in the smoker. That is 3 hours of smoke (I am using cherry wood), 2 hours in foil with a some of this liquid, and an hour back open in the smoker to firm back up. I'll let yo know how it turns out. What are y'all eating?

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote