View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 04:28 PM   #13
18IsTheMan
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs18IsTheMan has earned his spurs
Default Re: As things currently stand, has the SOS era lived up to the hype?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18IsTheMan View Post
Has it lived up to the INITIAL hype? No, not yet. I think most Gamecock fans envisioned us being at our current point 2 or 3 years into Spurrier's tenure. Obviously, it took much longer to get here. And, equally as obvious, the expectations of the fans were unrealistic. Because of the quick success Holtz experienced, I don't think any fan truly understood the kind of work there was to be done. Thankfully, SOS wasn't out to get some quick short-lived success but set about building the program from the ground up, essentially starting from scratch.

This shouldn't be confused with asking whether Spurrier's tenure has been successful. By any measure, that is an undeniable "absolutely."
On the flip side, I don't think most in the media and sports world gave SOS much of a chance here at all (Most famously, Lee Corso). So if you're talking about those expectations, then absolutely yes he has lived up to it and far exceeded it.
18IsTheMan is online now   Reply With Quote