Thread: The 3-4
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 01:04 AM   #16
JoeMorrisonLives
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
JoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spursJoeMorrisonLives has earned his spurs
Default Re: The 3-4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenUSC View Post
The Rabbits package and the 3-4 are geared to get more speed on the field. Anotherwords Whammy isn't trying to dream up a defense with six 300lb DLs because it would be disaster. Defenses are turning away from the use of the big interior lineman.
That works for passing spread teams. Spread-power is where that doesn't work. If we play Baylor, we're gonna use 4 down linemen because you need 2 DT's of 320+ to stop their guards. You beat the HUNH with depth on the DL, you need to let your second team DL go in for probably an entire drive (because you can't sub them out and the first teamers need a break) and have them still able to contain the other teams first team OL. Baylor would lose badly to LSU for example because LSU has DL depth and big CBs that can match up against big WRs and can handle press and off man coverage. If I were to choose any D to try to stop Baylor or Auburn with, I'm not going with OK's 3-3-5, I'm going with LSU or Stanford's D, or hell, for it's versatility designed for this role exactly, our base 4-2-5.
JoeMorrisonLives is offline   Reply With Quote