View Poll Results: Who is the best of these Gamecock RBs?

Voters
515. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brandon Bennett

82 15.92%
  • Harold Green

144 27.96%
  • Steve Wadiak

42 8.16%
  • Thomas Dendey

11 2.14%
  • Duce Staley

217 42.14%
  • Johnny Wright

5 0.97%
  • Kent Haygood

14 2.72%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: All-Time Gamecock Team - RB (Poll)

Default Re: All-Time Gamecock Team - RB (Poll)

Could stanley pritchett be in this also? Bennet and pritchett was a good duo!

Bad Luck Streak in Dancing School CockyHoskins's Avatar

Pritchett was good, but I don't think anyone can make a legitimate argument that he is the 2nd best RB we ever had.
    Click below to become a Facebook fan...

Bennett hopes experience in NFL plays in his favor

Former Riverside High and University of South Carolina running back Brandon Bennett believes that youth is wasted on the young.

After entering the NFL in 1995, Bennett spent six seasons with the Cincinnati Bengals. He played with Tampa Bay briefly last season before signing with the Carolina Panthers in October.

Now a free agent, Bennett, 32, is getting the senior citizen treatment, as teams audition their fresh talent.

"It's a young man's game," Bennett said. "They can get a bunch of rookies and hope that one of them pans out to do something that I do. And they come out so much cheaper."

"Age shouldn't have anything to do with it," Bennett's former Panthers teammate Stephen Davis, 31, said when asked if his age would keep him from returning from a knee injury.

"Thirty is what (the media) has set as the age," he said. "It can still be done. Age is nothing."

Base salary for an NFL rookie is $230,000. The floor raises with each year in the league. A player who has played seven to nine seasons has a base salary of over $600,000.

"Teams are going to see if they can get some productivity out of the younger guys before they start forking out money for the veteran guys," Bennett said. "It's kind of hard. Before, I always knew I was going to be at camp and with the same team. Now, there is no certainty about anything."

Bennett has faith in his agent that he will land a team. Bennett has been with the same agent not only his entire career, but his entire life -- older brother Braylon, an agent for Vortex Sports and Entertainment.

"We've been hearing some positive feedback from people inquiring about his overall health, conditioning, and everything," Braylon Bennett said. "It's also a right place-right time thing. With the salary restraints of him being a tenured veteran, it just takes a little more time for teams to come to grips with their roster and cap space."

Brandon said that having Braylon as an agent has been the best possible situation.

"You get the real scoop," Brandon said. "A lot of agents try to sugar coat everything, because they don't want to hurt the player or lose the player. Whereas, my brother will just tell it like it is. If I need to do something, he'll tell me I need to do it."

The no-nonsense approach has kept Bennett productive. He finished his USC career as one of three Gamecocks to lead the team in rushing all four years. Bennett had to muscle his way into the NFL as an undrafted free agent. In 82 NFL games, he has compiled 4,575 all-purpose yards with eight total touchdowns.

"He came into this league hard," Braylon said. "He didn't come in behind a high draft pick or a pushy rookie contract. He came in the hard way and had to earn every year that he's stayed in the league."

"I've been in the league going on 10 years. That speaks for itself," Brandon said. "It's productivity, longevity, and ability. I've started kickoff, kickoff return and punt return on every team that I was with. Just knowing that I can play on this level -- I've been there."

Although Brandon has received a good word from several teams during the waiting process, there is one word that he hates to hear -- "BUT ..."

"You have to deal with (teams saying), 'Well, Brandon Bennett, he's 32 years old. He's been productive, BUT,'" he said. "Before it was just who is the best player. If you could play, you played. "You run into a lot of mind games that can aggravate you about it. If we could just get out there and play ball, it'll be all good."

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbc...12/1002/SPORTS

somewhat unoriginal morgan n' 7's Avatar

Duce Staley was the best I saw in person at USC. Green and Bennett were good, but Staley had that special style, like Sharpe at receiver. You saw him run and you knew he was headed for greatness. I'd put Bennett after Staley, but I'm biased since we went to the same highschool.

Tom Price, Gamecock historian, wrote in his book "Tales from the Gamecock Roost": "Gamecocks are known for their courage in battle and willingness to fight to the death."

If that statement holds true, Ryan Brewer was destined to wear garnet and black.

Brewer, a native of Troy, Ohio, arrived at Carolina with a list of credentials that included being tabbed as Mr. Football for the state of Ohio. But his 5-foot-10-inch, 210-pound frame didn't impress the home state, nor did it impress his favorite school, Notre Dame.

Brewer didn't get a shot with the Fighting Irish; instead he got a chance to play with one of their legendary leaders.

"It was all about coach Holtz," Brewer said. "I was a big Notre Dame fan. When I heard he was coming here, I didn't know much about South Carolina living in Ohio. I decided to go somewhere where someone wants me."

Brewer's first season was less than sparkling, as USC failed to win a single contest in the infamous 21-loss stretch.

Then came 2000 - and the biggest turnaround in SEC history.

The Gamecocks got back on track while Brewer quietly helped USC along. The running game of Derek Watson and Andrew Pinnock dominated the ground, while Brian Scott and Jermale Kelly took hold of the air attack. Brewer had nice games of more than 50 yards on the ground and through the air but nothing for the "highlight reel."

Then Tennessee came calling.

With the game tied 7-7, quarterback Phil Petty hit Brewer for a 78-yard touchdown pass that would give USC the lead late in the third.

Despite the heroics of the 15th-longest passing play in USC history, the Gamecocks fell to the Vols and ended the season with a 7-4 record and trip to the Outback Bowl to face Ohio State.

Things looked bleak for the Gamecocks, as Watson was suspended from the game for team policy violations, leaving the running game without an experienced back.

Holtz had to implement a new running back alongside Pinnock's bruising power. Brewer stepped up for the job, not only to run the ball, but to prove to his home state they had missed an opportunity.

The rest might as well be legend in USC football lore.

Brewer took hold of the ground game, rushing for 106 yards and two scores, while catching three passes for 92 yards and another score, as USC cruised past the Buckeyes, 24-7.

"The game meant a lot to me playing Ohio State," Brewer said. "It also gave me a chance to play running back. I got a bunch of touches on the ball, and I could actually show what I could do. I figured I might as well take advantage of it. It was exciting being in that limelight for a little bit, against a team I knew I had to prove something to."
    The man considered "undersized" by his home state scampered his way to 219 yards and Outback Bowl MVP honors.

Not only did he outplay the Buckeyes, but after being grabbed by the facemask in the fourth quarter, Brewer proceeded to flip a Buckeye player over his head after reaching the end zone.

Brewer shined once again in 2002, as he made an acrobatic snag from Georgia defensive back Bruce Thorton. Thorton had been beaten the year before in Athens, when Scott grabbed a 16-yard touchdown pass from Petty to upset the Bulldogs at home, 14-9.

This time around, Brewer latched on to a 23-yard pass from Corey Jenkins to pull Carolina within striking distance, 13-7. A late-game fumble ended a would-be comeback but left Brewer with 106 yards receiving.

"It seems like every year we give Georgia a run for their money, if not beat them," Brewer said. "He had great coverage on me. It was an out-and-up, Corey decided to throw it up. It was just a 'who-wanted-it-more.' It came down, and I just grabbed the ball. It was one of those surreal things that you don't realize it until it's done."

That game made him one of only three players in Gamecock history to have 100-yard receiving and rushing games.

Brewer left Carolina as the No. 8 receiver all-time, totaling 1,136 yards and five touchdowns on 107 receptions. He came close to tying the legendary Sterling Sharpe for consecutive games with a reception, finishing three shy of the record with 31.

"I just like the fact that you can put me anywhere on the field," Brewer said. "The fact that I can go out and help the team in any way possible is what I wanted to do."

Though an ankle injury slowed him during his senior campaign, Brewer led the Gamecocks in 2002 with 28 catches for 299 yards.

He also stood out on special teams, leading the punt-return category for his fourth-straight season.

Brewer earned Verizon Academic All-America honors and was named to the Hula Bowl in 2002 alongside fellow USC receiver James Adkisson.

The NFL didn't come knocking on draft day, but a free-agent contract with the Baltimore Ravens allowed Brewer a short professional career. The Ravens sent Brewer to NFL Europe in hopes he would be ready for the next season. But Brewer proved that no matter where he goes, he is a winner, as his team won the World Bowl.

"I was with the Baltimore Ravens for the preseason until the last cut," Brewer said. "Ended up going to Europe to the Rein Fire and got traded to Berlin for the last four games. And Berlin won the World Bowl."

With football behind him, Brewer has settled down in Columbia with his wife and started a business. But even with his passion for the game, Brewer says he wouldn't change a thing.

"I met my wife here. I have tons of friends now," Brewer said. "I have no regrets of what I did. I had a great time. That's pretty much all you can ask for."

http://www.dailygamecock.com/media/p...r-967414.shtml
    Just because you are a has-been, don't make Little Jerry Seinfeld a never-was!

I was also surprised to see duce winning although he was a great back and continues to have great success with the eagles. harold green was the best, but why was rogers not on the list?

Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4 Gaichon's Avatar

Read the first post on this thread, Spur-1. This is for every back except #38, the obvious first choice. Kevin Long is my sentimental pick, but I'm going with Bennett.
    "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools." - Thucydides

I liked watching Duce run, he was fast, strong and smart, and he could catch a pass.. plus he had a cool name, on that sounds good when 80,000+ are yelling...

the tigers suck

How can we leav tory hambrick off the list

Quote Originally Posted by spur-ier1
    I was also surprised to see duce winning although he was a great back and continues to have great success with the eagles. harold green was the best, but why was rogers not on the list?
    As D-Way said, Rogers is the automatic #1 considering he won the Heisman.

This is for the other spot in a 22-man All-Time Roster.

Rob Debour and Ryan Brewer may not of had the talent as some of these guys but they had more Heart then all of them combined

Whatever happened to Boo Williams? He started the oooooooooo's with Boooooooooo which led to the uuuuuuuu's with Duuuuuuuuuuce!

somewhat unoriginal morgan n' 7's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mamacock
    Whatever happened to Boo Williams? He started the oooooooooo's with Boooooooooo which led to the uuuuuuuu's with Duuuuuuuuuuce!
    He got into some legal trouble after his playing days. He was a good kick returner too.

Bennett

Berkeley County Gamecock SangareeCrew's Avatar

I had to go with Dendey.....suprised to see he's not getting more love in this poll!!!

Brandon Bennett kicked a$$ and took names.

No problem here Harold Green.
    Spurrier said McGee "originally offered too much," although neither would disclose the amount. McGee said the difference was in six figures, adding Spurrier asked that it go toward his assistant's salaries.

Quinton Lewis

I really hate clemson IHateOrange's Avatar

Duce.... very nice guy I might add
    COCKY KONG!

TATER HATER 4 LIFE!

Memo to Lane Kiffin: Seven Gamecocks were selected in the 2009 NFL Draft, delaying any possible careers at the gas station.

I voted for Harold Green. I know that Staley will probably win this poll, and he was and is an outstanding back for sure. I just think Green was just as good receiving as he was running.