Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linebackers

Default Re: Linebackers

Since I look at spurs as part LB, who will be the ones besides Diggs competing for spur. Antonio was one of our best defensive players in 2011, so I think we may have a drop off in 2012. Damario is being moved back to LB. C2 mentioned some tweeners, but I didn't know if they had enough speed to play spur. Just hope LW puts the best 11 on the field and they get the most snaps. Since he has a 1-0 record as DC, I'm confident he will do just that.

Holloman to SPUR is a move that has to happen in my eyes

hope he's better than he was versus r-kansas. I expect he will be. That was a tough situation. Someone has to step up at the safety spot though so he can move. We heard all this junk about williams and legree. It didn't not play out on the field. Hopefully Royster is somewhere close to as good as the reputation.

Jeffery played SPUR vs. Arky

Quote Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
    Holloman to SPUR is a move that has to happen in my eyes
    Didn't he struggle there in 2010....although, some of that may not have been his fault.

ahh, well it did not work out very well. They've been trying to move him for two seasons and no one else can play back there apparently. Yeah meant royster. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
    hope he's better than he was versus r-kansas. I expect he will be. That was a tough situation. Someone has to step up at the safety spot though so he can move. We heard all this junk about williams and legree. It didn't not play out on the field. Hopefully shumate is somewhere close to as good as the reputation.
    Shumate going to ND.....did he change his mind already. Are you talking about Sheldon Royster.

Quote Originally Posted by LegalCock View Post
    hope he's better than he was versus r-kansas. I expect he will be. That was a tough situation. Someone has to step up at the safety spot though so he can move. We heard all this junk about williams and legree. It didn't not play out on the field. Hopefully Royster is somewhere close to as good as the reputation.
    shumate committed to notre shame. we are looking at diggs for the spur position. between williams and royster, that is a lot of talent for the safety position. injuries and other medical problems slowed or sidelined their progress this last season. but they should be stronger and better next season.

Tact is for those who are not witty enough for Sarcasm...

Recruiting60%-Coaching40% PageUSC's Avatar

Holloman has to move to Spur I think too. Struggle there?...He's never gotten to play there at all really....

I think Holloman is the starting Spur next year with Golightly the back up.
    "Yeah, Clemson can beat Virginia Tech as many times as they want, but ask them if they want another piece of South Carolina." - Colin Cowherd

Quote Originally Posted by b381l View Post
    Didn't he struggle there in 2010....although, some of that may not have been his fault.
    no, he has been playing safety his entire 3 years on campus.

He practiced at SPUR in the spring but then moved back to safety because no one was capable or ready to play opposite Swearinger which then forced Jeffery to move back to SPUR to back up Allen.

Someone... whether its Brison Williams, Sheldon Royster, or Kadetrix Marcus needs to step up opposite Swearinger and show they can play safety for us.

#1 Gamecock Braves Fan eaglegolf018's Avatar

Jeffery played SPUR vs. Arky
    And it was bad

it was bad because he is 240lbs being asked to cover a slot WR.

Arkansas exposes the main flaws in our current defense and that is our LBs in space and the range of field that our safeties can cover. Its not good.

no, he has been playing safety his entire 3 years on campus.

He practiced at SPUR in the spring but then moved back to safety because no one was capable or ready to play opposite Swearinger which then forced Jeffery to move back to SPUR to back up Allen.

Someone... whether its Brison Williams, Sheldon Royster, or Kadetrix Marcus needs to step up opposite Swearinger and show they can play safety for us.
    You're right, I guess I was remembering him there in the summer behind Allen, then moving him back to safety after Legree played poorly early in the year.

we should be better positioned to defend them next year assuming we're healthy. i really want us to get a 3rd cb ready and go with a true nickel defense on obvious passing downs. whether that means putting auguste on slot receivers like he has been in the past at times or someone else other than a safety. i could see us putting swearinger at nickel, but i dont want that to happen unless the two safeties are rock solid with little to no dropoff. i think our normal nickel lineup last year was allen at nickel, swearinger as the 2nd lb with shaq, with williams and holloman as the safeties. back to the base defense, allen is still much better at coverage than holloman, good news is with swearinger and whomever behind him we should be better positioned to defend the pass.

what killed us against arkansas is we got nothing from the lb's, the safeties, and swearinger couldnt cover wright on the crossing routes by himself with no help. base defense like mr. green said, they caught jeffery and holloman in space on wright's long td catch. the two last guys we want against him in space.
    Last edited by actlikeyoucrow; 01-10-2012 at 02:24 PM.

Really going to miss AA next year.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coryusc2008 View Post
    Really going to miss AA next year.
    I don't think so.

Holloman is a perfect fit at SPUR.

I also think our corner situation is going to be fine with Auguste, Hampton, Christian.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Holloman will step right in the Spur position. The question is who will replace him at Safety

Burp Guns and Trust Funds GarnetBlack&Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    Yeah if anyone thinks we're stacked, look at Bama. They have 10 times more talent and depth at LB than we could dream of having. Just sayin
    It's also a matter of how they recruit... Bama runs a LB driven 3-4

our defense isn't driven by the LBs, it's the least important position on our defense. that said Cooper should be really good this year. I assume he'll be next to Shaq...
    Go Cocks! Go Blue Hose!

Rewatch the Citrus Bowl and tell me how on earth Shaq deserves to start at MLB. Physically and attitude-wise he doesn't have it. He can't stop the run or cover. Maybe he will turn into a speedy beast in the off-season .... Shaqs a great kid and all but to win the SEC, we need a tough, physical guy in the middle.

Put Bowens there and maybe move Shaq to OLB.

I'm hoping for two things at linebacker. A rotation like this year at DL that adapts, keeps guys fresh, and has little drop off in effectiveness. The other hope is one or two HS DE's or LB's with speed and pursuit who bulk to middle LB size and strength. Seems Gresham has gained up, Gilchrist has the size (and was fast in HS), K Lewis is coming in big, Mason Harris is still a small DE, but might bulk up. Rainey might develop into a tall, fast outside linebacker. We've only got about 4 freshman and sophomore linebackers now, and I 'd guess some 2 or 3 will have to make a move to that position, even though we play a spur at the 3rd spot. We'll need another backup spur though I think Holloman will get most snaps next year. Demario should likely be a full-time outside LB next year. I'd like to see our linebackers lay some wood (and wrap) next year. I just didn't see what looked like punishing tackles much this year.
    Last edited by Goofyboy; 01-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.