Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 26343536

Thread: The Official USMNT Thread (All Discussion, News, Games, etc here)

Looking for Lee Ho Fook's cocknblue's Avatar

Default Re: The Official USMNT Thread (All Discussion, News, Games, etc here)

Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    Is there any wonder why Soccer struggles here in America immediately after we beat our hated rival in international soccer sportscenter comes on to talk about old tired MLB. While univision does an hour long breakdown of the game?

Glad we beat their ass I don't care that Ochoa wasn't there doesn't matter to me we scored a goal and we won. Even though literally 12 people in the entire nation will hear about it total BS if the US mens basketball team played a game in any capacity it would have been all over every network that does news tonight. Also f*** mexico and their attitude towards our national team.

USA USA USA!!!
    In ESPN's defense, we are nearing the end of the regular season with lots of playoff positions yet to be determined. This was a friendly.

Still, a very nice win for USMNT!!

I'm a novice to soccer, so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions, but is Wil Trapp good? Was it just that we were playing a formation that bunched the midfield up that it seemed like his passes were off and his first touches like a brick?

And am I missing something, but it seems on paper there's a lot of talent at forward but I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's just the formation with one striker? (Is that what they were doing last night?)

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
    I'm a novice to soccer, so forgive me if I'm asking stupid questions, but is Wil Trapp good? Was it just that we were playing a formation that bunched the midfield up that it seemed like his passes were off and his first touches like a brick?

And am I missing something, but it seems on paper there's a lot of talent at forward but I'm not seeing it. Maybe it's just the formation with one striker? (Is that what they were doing last night?)
    Most of the reason that he's playing right now is leadership on a very young and inexperienced team. Sarachan has said that Trapp is a blend of Michael Bradley and former U.S. midfielder Chris Armas, now the Red Bulls’ head coach, "combining Bradley’s seriousness and maturity beyond his years and Armas’s ability to relate with players young and old." That said, I think he's mediocre at the international level, although the formation last night didn't help him much. His touches are often heavy, and I just don't think he's got the physical tools to hang with really good international players (or even, as we saw last night, decent up and coming international players). For now, though, it's people like him and Yedlin leading the team.

What would really help would be to finally hire a coach and move on; nothing against Sarachan, but we're losing time and opportunities to begin shaping the next 'real' national team. I am thankful, though, that we're finally getting to see the next crop of youngsters, including a number of guys who play in Europe rather than just MLS retreads.

As for forward, that's a whole other ball of wax....

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Most of the reason that he's playing right now is leadership on a very young and inexperienced team. Sarachan has said that Trapp is a blend of Michael Bradley and former U.S. midfielder Chris Armas, now the Red Bulls’ head coach, "combining Bradley’s seriousness and maturity beyond his years and Armas’s ability to relate with players young and old." That said, I think he's mediocre at the international level, although the formation last night didn't help him much. His touches are often heavy, and I just don't think he's got the physical tools to hang with really good international players (or even, as we saw last night, decent up and coming international players). For now, though, it's people like him and Yedlin leading the team.

What would really help would be to finally hire a coach and move on; nothing against Sarachan, but we're losing time and opportunities to begin shaping the next 'real' national team. I am thankful, though, that we're finally getting to see the next crop of youngsters, including a number of guys who play in Europe rather than just MLS retreads.

As for forward, that's a whole other ball of wax....

It was actually cool to see for me. I don't know too much of the history since before I only watched soccer once every four years, so it's like I'm jumping off along with the team. Tim Weah looks like the real deal out there even if he seemed to not be able to get too involved last night. I'm assuming the midfield will look different when Pulisic is involved, too.

As far as the coach, a decision needs to be made. I can't believe it's been a year of an interim coach. Maybe it's because of the MLS season, but still...I bet 95% of Americans can't tell you when the season is. It's a weird spot to fill. On paper, more prestigious than a MLS club, but the goal, I would think, if you're a good MLS coach is to become a good European coach. The answer to that, for me, is just to throw as much money with short terms as possible at someone.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Match vs England getting ready to start.

The starting 11 for USMNT looks spicy (except Trapp over Adams - That makes no sense)!

I imagine this will be our World Cup team minus Guzan.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Blocked at work!

It'll be nice to see if these forwards can actually get a few more shots on goal--or maybe if the midfielders can just advance the ball.

Its going about per usual when we play big teams. Pretty much playing defense all game. Minimal chances to get pressure on England's back line. Kind of disappointing so far.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

1-0 England. Jesse Lingard with a great goal.

Pulisic missed a golden opportunity prior to that.

2-0 England.

Stats at half look about as expected, 35% possession, 4 shots total with just 2 on goal. 4 offsides--poor awareness?

I'm really not sure why I thought it would be much different. From getting more involved with soccer this past year, it seems that 80% of production is based on midfield play. When you can't control the ball, have sloppy passes, and heavy first touches, it's just hard to see progress and get excited about this team.

Just looking at the highlights and numbers, seems like not having an actual coach for over a year isn't a good idea. Who knew?

And if the best lineup involves a 4231 with Wood as the focal point, I guess I should get used to being bored out of my f###ing mind.

So...Berhalter.

Any thoughts?

I don't know anything about the guy other than a lot of people are unhappy with it.

Everyone knew this was coming because of his ties to Earnie Stewart, and most of the disappointed people wanted someone outside the standard US Soccer / MLS loop. Here's one article that I found to be useful in thinking about Berhalter's philosophy and what to expect:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018...yle-philosophy

One quote that I found interesting was this: "The players in Tab Ramos’ CONCACAF title-winning Under-20 team are probably better suited to Berhalter’s style than many of the players in the senior team, and the players coming up through the Under-17s are largely even more technically adept."

It will be curious to see what he and Stewart opt to do in the short run in terms of managing the USMNT roster.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Everyone knew this was coming because of his ties to Earnie Stewart, and most of the disappointed people wanted someone outside the standard US Soccer / MLS loop. Here's one article that I found to be useful in thinking about Berhalter's philosophy and what to expect:

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2018...yle-philosophy

One quote that I found interesting was this: "The players in Tab Ramos’ CONCACAF title-winning Under-20 team are probably better suited to Berhalter’s style than many of the players in the senior team, and the players coming up through the Under-17s are largely even more technically adept."

It will be curious to see what he and Stewart opt to do in the short run in terms of managing the USMNT roster.

Thanks for posting the article, really easy and informative read. A few things stood out to me.

One, it seems like a good old boy's club is being established with heavy Dutch lean, but that seems okay. At least better than what we've had.

Two, it's nice to heat about the U20 and U17 teams. My kid plays (like I've mentioned is the reason I'm getting into this stuff) and I can tell just with the clubs around here the change in focus when talking to others. Offseason, there are structured practices that are solely focused on tactical and technical skills. The one my kid goes to has over a hundred kids out there. Even a few years ago, you could tell it was a sort throw it at the wall see what sticks approach, but over the past few seasons, it's clear that the coaches have plans and methods well in place from their training.

Three, I'm not optimistic about the next World Cup looking any better. I hate to dog the dude because I've only watched him for a year or so, but any offense predicated on Wil Trapp seems destined to fail. Pulisic is exciting and I like how Tim Weah looks, but the system seems to be asking a lot from them.

Four, it seems insane to me that it took this long for someone to say: You know, maybe we should actually work on the skills and technical abilities of players instead of banking on them out-athleting teams.

I am surprised there isn't more interest in the USMNT from our fans tbh. We were really good at the last WOrld CUp we made just played scared against Belgium and came on home. Been thinking maybe Landon Donovan could return now haha
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

And the Gold Cup finally begins for the US. 0-0 against Guyana through the first 20 minutes. Some things never change - Michael Bradley is terrible.

Update: Arriola scores at 28:00 to put the US up 1-0.