Thread: Silver

Happiness is a choice womfalcs3's Avatar

Default Silver

I know this is a stocks forum, but man is silver tanking. It's down 61% from its all-time high (in nominal dollars) in 2011. Gold, oil, and other commodities are down, too, but not like this. Futures are now trading at 18.935 USD/ounce.

Volatility in prices tends to cluster; periods of high changes are more likely to be followed by high changes and the opposite is true. When the time is right (soon?), it seems like silver may be a good investment.

EDIT: Sorry, I thought I had went into the stock markets forum.

Default Re: Silver

I buy a little here and there, if it ever drops back down sig then I will buy heavy, I am talking $10 range

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

Yeah. If I invest in the next few weeks, it'll be light. The last time silver dropped to 10 bucks was after the global recession.

Future Coaching Legend bigdog2003's Avatar

I buy some every now and then, have a pretty good silver stack going.
    I think it would be awesome if you could get Morgan Freeman's voice on a GPS. It would be like he's narrating your travels

1st Team All-American TastyLicks's Avatar

I like to stay away from commodities

Trading below 18 bucks an ounce now.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
    I like to stay away from commodities
    Yeah. What are your reasons? High volatility?

Where are you guys buying it?

I have a friend that buys it on ebay which seems odd to me.

1st Team All-American TastyLicks's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
    Yeah. What are your reasons? High volatility?
    Yes it is very volatile - that scares me. As a smaller player with less experience I can't afford how leveraged the futures contracts can be.

Not to completely knock it as maybe you have the means and the expertise to manage a deal properly because some have great success but I personally think for smaller players like myself - commodities are a sucker's investment. It appeals to the less experienced because everyone knows what silver is for example vs. what the global market share of like Oracle Corp. But that doesn't mean it's better for the less experienced. They say something like 85% of traders lose money in commodities and most of all of them are smaller players with less experience.

If I had the means to not worry about risk or I was extremely versed in how commodities work I definitely think I would have different opinion. :)

as far as silver or other PMs they shouldnt be a large portion of your portfolio, PMs should be looked at as a store of wealth more than an investment to earn a profit. IE a pre65 quarter (90% silver) was enough to buy a gallon of gas or a gallon of milk, at the current silver value (17.76 per oz as of time of this post) the silver content of a pre 65 quarter is worth $3.22 which will buy the same. In 1998 (lowest I remember gas being since i began driving) that same quarter would have had a silver content value of around $0.995 (figuring a rough avg of $5.50 per oz for the year) seems like gas was bouncing between .80 and $1 a gallon most of that year.

or you can do like me and buy it because its shiny!

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post

I stay away from buying on ebay unless it is from a company. No way I'm buying from a everyday person on there, to many fake bars and rounds on there.
    I think it would be awesome if you could get Morgan Freeman's voice on a GPS. It would be like he's narrating your travels

Quote Originally Posted by usc90grad View Post

Likely from the bank. I don't want to store physical quantities at my house. I just want ownership.

Quote Originally Posted by womfalcs3 View Post
    Likely from the bank. I don't want to store physical quantities at my house. I just want ownership.
    I like the physical stuff, not certificates. I have bought from several sources, online I trust jmbullion.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    I like the physical stuff, not certificates. I have bought from several sources, online I trust jmbullion.com
    I have a guy I buy from, he buys in extremely large numbers from jmbullion and ampex, then sells them for slightly over what he pays. I also buy 90% coins from him.