Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CockyTalk's Best BBQ In SC

Default Re: CockyTalk's Best BBQ In SC

Quote Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
    Southern Belly BBQ, I've heard they are amazing.
    I have to disagree with this one. Respectfully, of course. I've been once and it was very meh. Menu is too limited and it's too much "artisanal" barbecue for me. They try to do too much, IMO.

CT's 2x Favorite Tiger warriorchief's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scfanz View Post
    The Smoking Pig in Pendleton is pretty darn good. Their BBQ is good but their brisket is awesome.
    My favorites locally are between ^here and Spotted Pig outside Westminster on Hwy 11.

Head to Head:

Pulled Pork: Smoking Pig
    Brisket: Spotted Pig (surprised the hell out of me, maybe it was an off day)
    Sides: Smoking Pig (those jalapeno cheddar grits... boy)
    Sweet Tea: Spotted Pig
    Sauces: Smoking Pig, but barely
    Portions: Smoking Pig (I almost didn't finish)

Overall, Smoking Pig is better, but really not by much. Spotted Pig is closer to me, and is easier to get in/out of, so they get my business more often.

HOWEVER... you CAN'T go wrong with either, and they're definitely both worth a visit if you're in the upstate for a weekend or on your way to Atlanta (Spotted Pig is maybe 5 miles off Exit 1 on I-85, and Smoking Pig is maybe 6 miles from Exit 19 on I-85)

Burp Guns and Trust Funds GarnetBlack&Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usc_thereal View Post
    Curious. How does he do his brisky? Is it traditional Texas brisky, i.e., salt pepper maybe some garlic powder? Or is it sauced with a sticky/sweet/savory sauce? I'm extremely partial to true Texas brisky, and that's the only way I prepare brisky, hence why I was asking.
    Salt and Pepper. Lewis was one of the guys that helped start Franklin's in Austin, I imagine the menu and processes will all be very similar, though I'm hoping he'll add some SC flair to the pork.
    Go Cocks! Go Blue Hose!

Quote Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
    Salt and Pepper. Lewis was one of the guys that helped start Franklin's in Austin, I imagine the menu and processes will all be very similar, though I'm hoping he'll add some SC flair to the pork.
    This makes me extremely happy. I will be sure to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
    This is a hard question, so much good BBQ in SC. In Columbia I'd have to say Doc's is my favorite. Charleston is trickier for traditional BBQ Swig and Swine or Southern Roots are my go to spots and if I'm feeling like some non traditional dishes (BBQ wrap comes to mind) Home Team BBQ is my go to.
    Doc's BBQ is good but their hash is weird. It has a chalky consistency that I just can't get past. Big T's has really good hash and their collards may be the best I've had anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzy01 View Post
    Doc's BBQ is good but their hash is weird. It has a chalky consistency that I just can't get past. Big T's has really good hash and their collards may be the best I've had anywhere.
    Their catfish nuggets, fried chicken, and mustard sauce more than make up for it. Whenever I make my way up to Columbia I always try to get by Doc's at least once.

Little Engine That Could davidmc467's Avatar

Their catfish nuggets, fried chicken, and mustard sauce more than make up for it. Whenever I make my way up to Columbia I always try to get by Doc's at least once.
    I'm very "meh" when it comes to Doc's. Last time I went there, the pork was not good at all. It kind of soured me on the place, especially where there are so many other options around the Midlands that I can go and eat.

Make CAROLINA Great Again jellafever's Avatar

Doc's is probably the very last place I would go for bbq in columbia.

Quote Originally Posted by jellafever View Post
    Doc's is probably the very last place I would go for bbq in columbia.
    Even after Maurice's??

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

My favorite place for BBQ is Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville, SC. The BBQ and Hash is excellent and the buffet is good too. The pricing is very reasonable, $9.50 on Mondays and it is "all that you can eat"!!!

CLOSED Wednesdays and Sundays!!!!!!
    Last edited by Senior Rooster; 03-15-2018 at 06:08 PM.

OORAH!!!!!!!

Former Walk On in-law catdaddy66's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GarnetBlack&Blue View Post
    When Lewis BBQ opens in Charleston it's going to be outrageous... The pork isn't really any better than most places, but the brisket... oh the brisket... it's out of this world! I'll always call it BBQ'd brisket (only thing that can be called just plain 'barbeque' to me is pork), but man, I am now a true believer...

EDIT: John Lewis is a big-time pitmaster from Austin, TX... been doing pop-ups at local breweries in Charleston for the last few years and built quite a following...
    A colleague of mine will whole heartedly agree with you about the brisket at Lewis' as well as the pulled pork. I had a very good meal yesterday in Aiken at a newer place called WillieJewels...

http://www.williejewells.com/

Had the Bo Dawg sandwich which was great. The sauces are very good but a little different than traditional types and my favorite was the hot mustard.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
    My favorite place for BBQ is Shealy's BBQ in Batesburg/Leesville, SC. The BBQ and Hash is excellent and the buffet is good too. The pricing is very reasonable, $9.50 on Mondays and it is "all that you can eat"!!!
    Been twice closed both times. They are closed every Wednesday.

I don’t know if I would talk about them in terms of the best barbecue in the state, but I had some really good pulled pork at Big Bull’s BBQ on Hardscrabble Road a couple of weeks ago. Brisket was very tasty, maybe a tad overcooked. They also serve soul food, and the collards were amazing.

Anyone here ever tried it?

Haven’t read this thread in a while but I at Shuler’s outside of Dillon a few weeks ago and was very impressed.

docs chicken is fantastic but the hash is terrible. I love hash so i am never real excited about going there.

i honestly love the hash at piggie park..the ribs there are awesome also..i i know that is heresy though.

I have already mentioned Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton and I will have to add Rodney Scott's Bar-B-Que in Charleston, SC is very high on my list now.

Shealy's Bar-B-Que in Leesville, SC is OK, but it is mustard based and I think that they cook it over gas grill. Jackie Hite's in Leesville, SC has much better tasting Bar-B-Que than Shealy's, but at Shealy's they do a good job on their chicken and plenty of side dishes. They could put a little effort into their desserts as they can be a tad on the plain side.

My top three as of today would have to be Sweatman's in Holly Hill(hash),Lonestar in Santee(Q),and Westwood in Hartsville(Ribs).

Shealy's
    ♫...Here's a health, Carolina, forever to thee!♫

Quote Originally Posted by zappa View Post
    My top three as of today would have to be Sweatman's in Holly Hill(hash),Lonestar in Santee(Q),and Westwood in Hartsville(Ribs).
    Ditto on Sweatman’s

What, no love for Henry's in Greenville? I love their pulled pork sandwich.

Also, if you want to drive just a bit further north, 12 Bones in Asheville is top notch, especially if you like ribs. And their sides are so good, that I sometimes just get sides, no meat.
    Bison