Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CockyTalk's Best BBQ In SC

Default Re: CockyTalk's Best BBQ In SC

My kind of thread!....

First, my favorite BBQ is the BBQ on the plate in front of me.

That said, I do have some choices in SC as I plan as many client meetings as possible around BBQ.

1. Smokin' Pig in Klempson. great food. amazing hospitality. like the Chick-fil-A of BBQ. Way too much orange but I can tolerate that because they tolerate my garnet.
    2. Pig Out (new cut road above Spartanburg). I never ate ribs before I tried this place. Thursday is ribs day. Incredible. It is a cinder block abandoned gas station in the middle of nowhere. Likely to see Jerry Richardson, H Dean Johnson or other Spartanburg royalty on a regular basis.
    3. Duke's of Walterboro. Good bbq and outstanding buffet veggies. Really like this.
    4. Palmetto Pig (Columbia)/Antley's (Orangeburg). owned by the same family. really hard not to pay homage to the original Duke's recipe. (my understanding is that Ms. Antley bought the original Duke's (by old Pepsi plant) in the early 70's. The family then opened Antley's. Palmetto Pig is owned by one of the sons who also played football for USC in the 70's. Great guy.)
    5. Mike and Jeff's (Greenville). Obscure place but BBQ is really good. Slightly better than Henry's and Bucky's in Greenville. can't go wrong with any of the three. Henry's has picnic tables for pretty days.

Iconic places:
    1. Sweatman's - I went here 3-4 years ago. maybe it was once good but it was extremely underwhelming when I went. Probably lands in bottom 10 all time BBQ restaurants.
    2. Schoolhouse - heard about this place for years and finally tried it. Liver hash. I won't say any more. Not impressed.
    3. Wise BBQ (between Clinton and Newberry). have to go because it has a long history. pretty good. gets points for history. pretty dead when I went.
    4. Brown's - haven't been but on my list.

We have had a lot of discussions about Rodney Scotts and Lewis BBQ in Charleston in other threads. Scotts does what it does really well. Lewis BBQ is good but I went to HS in Texas and it is a little too "fancy" for me. Great venue.

Damn - I am hungry now.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    I have already mentioned Carolina Bar-B-Que in New Ellenton and I will have to add Rodney Scott's Bar-B-Que in Charleston, SC is very high on my list now.

Shealy's Bar-B-Que in Leesville, SC is OK, but it is mustard based and I think that they cook it over gas grill. Jackie Hite's in Leesville, SC has much better tasting Bar-B-Que than Shealy's, but at Shealy's they do a good job on their chicken and plenty of side dishes. They could put a little effort into their desserts as they can be a tad on the plain side.
    Shealy's has 1. Mustard Base 2. Pepper & Vinegar 3. Hickory Tomato Base every day. CLOSED: Sundays & Wednesdays.

Better than DQ quality soft ice cream yum yum and I know ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't like Hite's.
    Last edited by Senior Rooster; 03-15-2018 at 07:28 PM.

OORAH!!!!!!!

You know something funny? While I have enjoyed meandering through this thread, one irksome point strikes me: many of the joints some list as the very best in the state, others list as among the worst.

We should have a thread to analyze the meaning of this. I mean, who can we trust here?

Quote Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
    You know something funny? While I have enjoyed meandering through this thread, one irksome point strikes me: many of the joints some list as the very best in the state, others list as among the worst.

We should have a thread to analyze the meaning of this. I mean, who can we trust here?
    I think one reason is that BBQ is very subjective. People just like different foods for different reasons. I judge bbq contests and we're given certain standards for what is good and bad and we score accordingly, but that doesn't exist at restaurants.

Also some of these awesome places can be a little inconsistent, great one day and average the next. Lots of variables when you wood-smoke meat. The piece of meat, the wood, the weather, the rubs and sauces which might be homemade. Not only that, you may be getting served meat that's a day or two old, as some restaurants will do after a slow day. Also some of these places change ownership or change pitmasters. (Someone told me that happened at Sweatman's in Holly Hill but I have no idea if it's true.)

Quote Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
    I think one reason is that BBQ is very subjective. People just like different foods for different reasons. I judge bbq contests and we're given certain standards for what is good and bad and we score accordingly, but that doesn't exist at restaurants.

Also some of these awesome places can be a little inconsistent, great one day and average the next. Lots of variables when you wood-smoke meat. The piece of meat, the wood, the weather, the rubs and sauces which might be homemade. Not only that, you may be getting served meat that's a day or two old, as some restaurants will do after a slow day. Also some of these places change ownership or change pitmasters. (Someone told me that happened at Sweatman's in Holly Hill but I have no idea if it's true.)
    Well-reasoned response...my compliments. It gives me the wherewithal to comment. People are the same way: subjective. For years, I ran a very well-known catering business. We were known far and wide for our excellent food and food acumen. Many of the folks we hung with (and still remain friends with) were renowned chefs, many from the coastal area of SC. I have actually been hesitant to say that one of the best mustard-based BBQ sandwiches I have eaten in years was at a Bessinger's, the reason being, many (here) agree that the BBQ there is less than exceptional. This was a place on I-95 near Santee...one of their "outlets", I suppose. Maybe it was just 'that day'. It was not as good as the awesome, slightly sweet, smoky and sticky mustard-based sandwiches I ate as a child in the sixties though. There was this unassuming BBQ pit, hidden in the town's interior, as if a secret for locals only, surrounded by a small white cinder block building, in Jasper County. The scent pervaded the interior of the place. There, they created and served for consumption the most delectable sandwiches of its type ever known to God or man. I have really found nothing to quite compare to those sandwiches ever since.

Well-reasoned response...my compliments. It gives me the wherewithal to comment. People are the same way: subjective. For years, I ran a very well-known catering business. We were known far and wide for our excellent food and food acumen. Many of the folks we hung with (and still remain friends with) were renowned chefs, many from the coastal area of SC. I have actually been hesitant to say that one of the best mustard-based BBQ sandwiches I have eaten in years was at a Bessinger's, the reason being, many (here) agree that the BBQ there is less than exceptional. This was a place on I-95 near Santee...one of their "outlets", I suppose. Maybe it was just 'that day'. It was not as good as the awesome, slightly sweet, smoky and sticky mustard-based sandwiches I ate as a child in the sixties though. There was this unassuming BBQ pit, hidden in the town's interior, as if a secret for locals only, surrounded by a small white cinder block building, in Jasper County. The scent pervaded the interior of the place. There, they created and served for consumption the most delectable sandwiches of its type ever known to God or man. I have really found nothing to quite compare to those sandwiches ever since.
    You're speaking my language brother. Maurice's brother operated the Piggy Park in Beaufort where I grew up. It was a busy drive-in and not one of those cool holes in the wall but they wood-smoked BBQ on site and it was great, I loved it and can taste it in my mind to this day. We had a few of those little BBQ joints in Beaufort too, including one on Ribaut Rd. called The Patio which was owned by some neighbors of ours. Long gone now. I also have some great memories of Maurice's Piggy Park in West Columbia in the 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
    You're speaking my language brother. Maurice's brother operated the Piggy Park in Beaufort where I grew up. It was a busy drive-in and not one of those cool holes in the wall but they wood-smoked BBQ on site and it was great, I loved it and can taste it in my mind to this day. We had a few of those little BBQ joints in Beaufort too, including one on Ribaut Rd. called The Patio which was owned by some neighbors of ours. Long gone now. I also have some great memories of Maurice's Piggy Park in West Columbia in the 70's.
    Before I got my own car, back in the 70's, when I was attending USC, my father would bring me to my dorm in the Honeycombs. He, my younger brother and I would always stop at Piggy Park for a Little or Big Joe Q. My father in particular, loved them. I think the old style open pits may be disappearing in favor of the closed wood cookers. Back in the 50's and 60's, there would be an open pit with a half or whole flayed hog on it, smoking away, constantly doused with some sauce. Skins were pulled right off the pig in front of you and dispensed in paper bags. I think a lot of the newer-style places favor boston butts, which are very good, of course. I don't pretend to be an expert pitmaster, so anyone may feel free to enlighten me, but to my mind, something has been lost somewhere along the way.

Before I got my own car, back in the 70's, when I was attending USC, my father would bring me to my dorm in the Honeycombs. He, my younger brother and I would always stop at Piggy Park for a Little or Big Joe Q. My father in particular, loved them. I think the old style open pits may be disappearing in favor of the closed wood cookers. Back in the 50's and 60's, there would be an open pit with a half or whole flayed hog on it, smoking away, constantly doused with some sauce. Skins were pulled right off the pig in front of you and dispensed in paper bags. I think a lot of the newer-style places favor boston butts, which are very good, of course. I don't pretend to be an expert pitmaster, so anyone may feel free to enlighten me, but to my mind, something has been lost somewhere along the way.
    The old school way of cooking BBQ, at least the way I grew up with it, was to cook a whole hog over coals in a pit. Now, many places smoke their Q and the meat is never over live coals. Of course, I am partial to pit cooked whole hog BBQ. I grew up eating Big D's in Surfside. I have never had Rodney Scott's BBQ, but both he and Big D (John Davis) lived in Hemingway, so it should be very similar. Because of this, I consider Hemingway to be the center of BBQ universe and vinegar pepper sauce to be the best. However, I also enjoy mustard based Q and some tomato based sauces can be very good as well.

I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever had bad BBQ.

1st Team All-SEC RoosterBooster's Avatar

BBQ is one of the most personal tastes in the world. Biggest factor for most is what they grew up eating.
    I HATE ORANGE

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    I can honestly say, I don't think I've ever had bad BBQ.
    I've had bad ribs, sides, and brisket ... but pulled pork it hard to mess up (unless you add sauce to it that's terrible).
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    I've had bad ribs, sides, and brisket ... but pulled pork it hard to mess up (unless you add sauce to it that's terrible).
    I have had some pretty bad brisket. Pulled pork is harder to mess up, but I have had some pretty bad chopped pork if it is done too fine. Also, what a lot of places try to pass off as vinegar pepper sauce can be pretty bad. You do not make vinegar pepper sauce by dumping red pepper and tabasco into vinegar. Then to make it worse they let the pork sit in it. That's why a lot of people don't like vinegar based sauce.
    I HATE ORANGE

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
    I have had some pretty bad brisket. Pulled pork is harder to mess up, but I have had some pretty bad chopped pork if it is done too fine. Also, what a lot of places try to pass off as vinegar pepper sauce can be pretty bad. You do not make vinegar pepper sauce by dumping red pepper and tabasco into vinegar. Then to make it worse they let the pork sit in it. That's why a lot of people don't like vinegar based sauce.
    Under-rated post.
    "Don't ask me to cook the dinner, and not let me shop for the groceries." - Will Muschamp

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
    That's because chopped is North Carolina style ... and North Carolina anything SUCKS!

I agree with Cack.

In my opinion, bbq is low and slow over wood coals. Most places I know cook their pork with propane which to me is just wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
    In my opinion, bbq is low and slow over wood coals. Most places I know cook their pork with propane which to me is just wrong.
    I've seen/tasted a few places that use liquid smoke.

I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
    Taste is all that matters. I cook on natural gas with pellets. Much easier to control the temp.
    I HATE ORANGE

If you get the chance BarBQ Hut Hwy 15 S. Sumter.

That's because chopped is North Carolina style ... and North Carolina anything SUCKS!
    ..I agree with Cack...Again

Pulled pork done well on its own can be quite rewarding in flavor. However, like adding coke to Jack Daniels, a nice sauce can be a delicious change of pace, if properly balanced in taste and texture.

I prefer a mustard base for pulled pork and a tomato-based sauce (my recipe) for my ribs, which are unsurpassed in flavor and texture.
    Last edited by rabid cock; 04-01-2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: grammar, grammar