Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 157

Thread: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

  1. #41
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
    Crazy!

    The thing that stands out to me is that McGuire created rivalries with (it seems like) every ACC opponent. I mean we were hated by Maryland, UNC, NC State, and so on...

    You're right. Nothing really like that now thanks to PC. I mean McGuire telling Lefty that he must have hit himself... Today we would have outrage and the coach would apologize...
    Yes. I prefer how it was then. I hate PC.

  2. #42
    4-Star St. Louis Gamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    St Louis MO
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    I still have the newspaper when Carolina beat UNC for the ACC Tourney title in 1971. It was a glorious day. Joyce out jumping Dedmond and tapping the ball to Owens right under our basket who can forget? And does anybody remember what happened next because there were still two seconds left in the game? UNC inbounded the ball and threw it the entire length of the court all the way to the other side out into the stands! We got the ball back on that turnover and the celebration began!

    And I get the guy living in western NC. I lived in NC for a while and went to undergrad school in the mountains and was always proud with my red Carolina decal on my car! Not many of us around at that time, but a proud and vocal minority!

  3. #43
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    When USC was in the ACC, there was no three point line, and no shot clock. Teams that felt overmatched by playing fast sometimes played a slowdown game. If a team was in a zone defense, and your team didn't want to play against a zone, sometimes you would just hold the ball and try to get the opponent to come out of the zone. You might not think those games were very exciting, but they were. If a team got the lead and tried to hold the ball, and the clock is ticking away, that can be a lot of suspense. Playing slowdown led to some upsets, some involving USC. I think the ACC Championship game we lost to NC State was kind of a slow down game. I don't think the shot clock, or the three point shot has done anything to help college basketball. In fact, it probably hurt the game from an excitement and intensity standpoint.

  4. #44
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
    I still have the newspaper when Carolina beat UNC for the ACC Tourney title in 1971. It was a glorious day. Joyce out jumping Dedmond and tapping the ball to Owens right under our basket who can forget? And does anybody remember what happened next because there were still two seconds left in the game? UNC inbounded the ball and threw it the entire length of the court all the way to the other side out into the stands! We got the ball back on that turnover and the celebration began!

    And I get the guy living in western NC. I lived in NC for a while and went to undergrad school in the mountains and was always proud with my red Carolina decal on my car! Not many of us around at that time, but a proud and vocal minority!
    I watched that game on TV. Boy, was I excited when USC won!!! I always hated Dean Smith (still do) and UNC (still do) and to beat them in a game of that importance was soooooooo satisfying!

    Where did you go to school in the NC mountains?

  5. #45
    1st Team All-SEC rabid cock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    3,595

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I have to say my favorite Gamecock basketball player was probably Jackie Galoone..(sp?)..that guy could handle a basketball..
    Jackie Gilloon was also a guard I liked a lot with a lot of upside. He started at point all four years and was a freshman the year after Winters (and I) graduated, '74-'75. He averaged 5 assists per game over his entire career and was also very adept at stealing the ball. His junior and senior campaigns, he led the team in that category with 68 total steals.

    I had graduated when Gilloon came along and did not personally attend any games but, as I recall, I watched many a game on TV, and Bob Fulton was the play-by-play guy. I remember a lot of "...and what a play by Jackie Gilloon...". Gilloon made a lot of great passes the full length of the court.

  6. #46
    Band TheMule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gaffney, SC
    Posts
    13,257

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by rabid cock View Post
    One of my fondest memories was a game played in the '73-'74 season, when I was a senior. We had a rivalry going on with the always powerful Marquette Warriors ( a much better moniker than their current pussyfoot appellation), and they came to town, highly ranked (5th?) and undefeated. They led the whole game, but we managed to close the gap near game's end with the likes of Alex English, Mike Dunleavy, etc. We tied it with less than a minute to go, and I'll always carry the vision in my mind of one of our greats popping in a jumper from the top of the key as time expired. That man was Brian Winters.
    I was there too. Guy Lewis brought in a pretty good Houston team for what I think was our final home game that year. English went crazy in a Gamecock blowout. But what I remember most about that game was a Houston turnover right in front of the Houston bench. The ref blew the whistle and handed the ball to Winters to inbound. Brian casually started dribbling the ball up court.


    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    Ed Peterson

    Best shooter: Winters and/or Peterson. Peterson was only on the team one year.
    Best pure set shooter I've ever seen. Nickname was "Radar." I think that it was one of those Marquette games when we couldn't hit an outside shot or as McGuire would say, "throw it in the ocean," and our opponent really packed their zone in tight. We fell way behind until McGuire put Peterson in the game. I don't think that he could have missed even if he tried. We got within 1 or 2 by the end of the game and Kevin Joyce missed a jumper from the foul line in his worst game at USC (only scored 2 points.) Peterson was open just off to the side of the key. He transferred to Georgia after that year.

    You could just about bet that John Roche was going to foul out at least one person every game.


    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    The fight with Maryland referenced above is an example of the intensity of the rivalries at that time. I am surprised I never got an ulcer from the tension of those ACC games back then. It was FAR more exciting than anything since then. Nothing we have now compares to it. Back then, you wanted to win because you were trying to be the best in the ACC, AND trying to beat your opponent. It was personal. Now, we play an SEC game and whoever wins, all the coaches and all the players shake hands and smile at each other and go their ways. No hard feelings. Not so then.
    It was white hot hate and why I won't pull for the ACC in anything. To hell with them sumbiches. If we had not left the ACC it would not have surprised me to see a fan killed.

    Quote Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
    Crazy!

    The thing that stands out to me is that McGuire created rivalries with (it seems like) every ACC opponent. I mean we were hated by Maryland, UNC, NC State, and so on...
    The reason we were hated is because we were supposed to be two automatic wins for the Big 4. Brat has posted some great stuff on why we left the ACC. Backstabbing Clemson might be the worst of the group.

    gt
    Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.

  7. #47
    Banned doubledribble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    3,912

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Mule, it's funny to read how much you hate the ACC. I don't understand that because I didn't live it. However, it sounds exactly like what every poster describes as far as that time period is concerned.

    It is a shame that those types of rivalries aren't seen today in the SEC. I know folks dislike UGA, Tenn, maybe florida... But back then we hated everyone and they hated us!

  8. #48
    Band TheMule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Gaffney, SC
    Posts
    13,257

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    It had gotten to the point that it was an unhealthy hate instead of heated rivalries. The split from the ACC was a necessary move.

    gt
    Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.

  9. #49
    Apparent Sunshine Pumper Gamecocks1137's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    On $100 mill of cash
    Posts
    13,844

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Welcome back to the good old days.
    "I'd rather be anywhere other than Clemson."


    Vendable Bow Youtube

    Vendable Bow Twitter

  10. #50
    Household Name Take-a-Knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    upstate SC
    Posts
    5,003

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    It had gotten to the point that it was an unhealthy hate instead of heated rivalries. The split from the ACC was a necessary move.
    You're right .. I actually enjoyed it though , we give'm hell .. Tobacco road and company were worse than a Judge on the take , and that's no exaggeration ..

  11. #51
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,591

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Party like it's 1970!

  12. #52
    Recruit F4rpoole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Williamston, SC
    Posts
    135

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    I started pulling for the Gamecocks at ten years old in 1970. All my early Gamecock memories are about Basketball until Jeff Grantz lead the Cocks to a 56-to-20 victory over clemsux in 1975.

    When Kevin Joyce was "hot" he had a jumper from the corner that was deadly. Alex English was the smoothest man to ever touch a Basketball. Brian Winters was "clutch" before we knew who Michael Jordan was. Roche, Riker, ALL those guys were GREAT.

    ACC officiating was SOOOOO BAD!!!!!!!!! and SOOOO one sided in favor of Maryland, UNC and NC State. It was 10 times worst than what happens today at Duke and UNC.

    Gamecock Basketball in the early Seventies was just as exciting as the 3-straight 11-2 seasons in football; maybe even more exciting.

  13. #53
    BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Club Fields
    Posts
    7,521

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    Yes. I prefer how it was then. I hate PC.
    there also werent all the cameras, the internet, etc. that helped media start blowing stuff up

  14. #54
    BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER GamecockUltimate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Club Fields
    Posts
    7,521

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
    Mule, it's funny to read how much you hate the ACC. I don't understand that because I didn't live it. However, it sounds exactly like what every poster describes as far as that time period is concerned.

    It is a shame that those types of rivalries aren't seen today in the SEC. I know folks dislike UGA, Tenn, maybe florida... But back then we hated everyone and they hated us!
    I hate the ACC teams alot too haha because my dad lived that time. that is how much the old people hate the ACC.

  15. #55
    1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    10,185

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Party like it's 1970!
    ...or 1933!

  16. #56
    Super Moderator smoovecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Dixie
    Posts
    21,347

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    I remember going to football games with my Dad and walking around the stadium holding 2 fingers up for tickets. It always seemed we would get good tickets. At $5.00 per ticket....After the game we would stop in at Dunkin Doughnuts in Cayce before heading home...Great time in life...

  17. #57
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    It had gotten to the point that it was an unhealthy hate instead of heated rivalries. The split from the ACC was a necessary move.
    I disagree. Nobody died because of those rivalries. It was not necessary to leave the ACC. Leaving the ACC is what destroyed USC basketball from then until now. Frank is trying to recover the program.

  18. #58
    1st Team All-SEC rabid cock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    SC Lowcountry
    Posts
    3,595

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by doubledribble View Post
    I couldn't make out what the jersey said to find out if that was Marquette, so I googled it. Sure enough the jerseys matched so I figured that was "The Shot" lol
    I recognized the jerseys right off. If you'll note, Marquette's unis still have those signature horizontal lines under the armpits. No other uni I know of is like it.

    Also, thumpin alluded to Nate Davis. The guy was "only" like 6'5" or so, but had a 40+-inch vertical leap and could shoot over much taller players. His nickname was "Elevator".

  19. #59
    Banned doubledribble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    3,912

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread



    Nate Davis

  20. #60
    Banned doubledribble's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    3,912

    Default Re: The **Official** Good Old Days Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
    I hate the ACC teams alot too haha because my dad lived that time. that is how much the old people hate the ACC.
    Pretty much the same for me. My dad gave me a healthy dose of hating Clemson and the ACC

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •