Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Hot Sauce

Heisman Candidate carolina_corpsman's Avatar

Default Homemade Hot Sauce

Has anyone made home made hot sauce?

Just finishing up some grilled pineapple and garlic, was going to blend it up with some vinegar and home grown dried ghost peppers from last summer.

Any tips/suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Default Re: Homemade Hot Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post

Just finishing up some grilled pineapple and garlic, was going to blend it up with some vinegar and home grown dried ghost peppers from last summer.

Any tips/suggestions?

Wear gloves and glasses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I messed around with it in the past.

I would google "salt-brine-fermented hotsauce" to find info from people who know what they are doing. The fermentation part is key to a good hotsauce.
    Last edited by Rex123; 04-15-2017 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
    Wear gloves and glasses.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    HAHA yeah, that was going to happen when the peppers get involved. I have been OC sprayed before, that was enough!

Yes.

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker hank scorpio's Avatar

I grew some chilies a decade or so ago with the intent of making hot sauce. I grew about 12 plants all spring and summer, harvested the chilies, created a mash, kept in the fridge for a month or two and made what turned out to be slightly less hot than Texas Pete. All that work yielded me about 40 ounces of hot sauce, so not really worth it, but I will say that sauce was absolutely delicious. We went to my buddy's restaurant and tossed some wings in it and everyone agreed it was amazing.

Decades ago when I was young and stupid I grew some hot peppers and tried to make a batch of hot sauce. Had to pee in the middle of chopping the peppers. This was prior to the age of nylon gloves. Had to call the pharmacist gal and ask her if she had anything to take away the pain but leave the swelling.
    Last edited by The Yancey; 04-16-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
    Decades ago when I was young and stupid I grew some hot peppers and tried to make a batch of hot sauce. Had to pee in the middle of chopping the peppers. This was prior to the age of nylon gloves. Had to call the pharmacist gal and ask here if she had anything to take away the pain but leave the swelling.

Quote Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
    I grew some chilies a decade or so ago with the intent of making hot sauce. I grew about 12 plants all spring and summer, harvested the chilies, created a mash, kept in the fridge for a month or two and made what turned out to be slightly less hot than Texas Pete. All that work yielded me about 40 ounces of hot sauce, so not really worth it, but I will say that sauce was absolutely delicious. We went to my buddy's restaurant and tossed some wings in it and everyone agreed it was amazing.
    I've got about 12 dried Ghost Peppers, I feel like they will have enough heat tha I will have to dilute a good bit. What did you mix with with?

If you want to attempt a knockoff here are the ingredients: https://www.bunstersworldwide.com/pages/ingredients
    Last edited by The Yancey; 04-26-2017 at 05:23 PM.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by hank scorpio View Post
    What kind of chilies? Texas pete is cayan. Also did you remove the veins? That's where all the heat is from drawing up the water.

I've got about 12 dried Ghost Peppers, I feel like they will have enough heat tha I will have to dilute a good bit. What did you mix with with?
    12 ghost will be very hot.

Yellow Bellied Sapsucker hank scorpio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by acejrock View Post
    What kind of chilies? Texas pete is cayan. Also did you remove the veins? That's where all the heat is from drawing up the water.
    They were cayenne, I ground them up and bagged them with salt and vinegar for like a month, then blended them and let em go for like another month. then blended again and strained. I used the whole peppers, just not the stems. It was truly delicious, but I had about 4 or 5 months invested and enjoyed the product for about a week and it was all gone.

It was just something I had wanted to do and once done, no longer wanted to do it again. Kind of like the time I spent 8 hours making a pizza from absolute scratch. Spent a whole sunday making the dough, peeling/stewing tomatoes, making toppings, etc. When all was done, I had a nice meal on a sunday, but I'll just be paying for someone else to make my pizzas from then on.

Former Walk On in-law catdaddy66's Avatar

I have a few plants bursting with cayenne peppers and can't cook them in much as my family are a bunch of wusses when it comes to peppers. So I am making a pepper sauce with about 20 whole ones, some onion, tomato, salt, garlic, cumin and tumeric. Boil in about a cup and a half each of vinegar and water for 20 minutes. Once cooled they will be pureed with a quarter cup of honey.

Seems simple enough.

Any tips/suggestions?

I know a guy that got divorced because of it. He would have to kick his wife and kids out of the house for an entire weekend. He had to wear a special mask and gloves and open all the windows in the house. That stuff is dangerous. I got a bottle every year. It was much hotter than Tabasco.

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
    I know a guy that got divorced because of it. He would have to kick his wife and kids out of the house for an entire weekend. He had to wear a special mask and gloves and open all the windows in the house. That stuff is dangerous. I got a bottle every year. It was much hotter than Tabasco.

Could have just done it outside....

The big problem with making sauce with a deep rich flavor is the lack of aging. Most good recipes call for pepper mash that has been aged in wood a la a quality bourbon. Sometimes you can buy the raw aged mash. I would look at aging your own though. I'm not sure of the proper technique but you should be able to emulate it. One year is bare minimum. Three to five would be much better.
    Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    Could have just done it outside....
    Didn’t have kitchen in his back yard. Apparently it’s more complicated than you think.

12 dried ghost peppers?

I'd go easy with those, you want hot sauce...not a weapon of mass destruction.

Try a trial batch with one, then move up from there. I've had ghost pepper sauce that was disappointing, and some that was painful.

Former Walk On in-law catdaddy66's Avatar

Cannot wait for my red habaneros to come in! Cayenne sauce came out well with moderate spiciness and a bit of sweetness. I ended up with 32ozs of sauce for my first attempt.