Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Homemade Hot Sauce

Default Re: Homemade Hot Sauce

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    12 dried ghost peppers?

I'd go easy with those, you want hot sauce...not a weapon of mass destruction.

Try a trial batch with one, then move up from there. I've had ghost pepper sauce that was disappointing, and some that was painful.
    Drying reduces the heat. I quit growing scorps and reapers (weapons of mass destruction as you say) and backed off to only ghost now. I keep dried ground ghost in shaker bottles, and still have ~3 gallons frozen. Really want to try and smoke/dry some - I bet that would add something to the sauce...
    Go Cocks!

I'm going to be making this (although in a smaller quantity) once all my fresno chilis turn red. I'm just cutting them off the plant as they turn red and putting them in the fridge in the produce drawer. Hopefully the others start turning quick...I've only got like 3!
    GOD
    USA
    SEC

Former Walk On in-law catdaddy66's Avatar

Just made my second quart of the year. This had jalapeņo, habanero and cayenne that had been fermenting 3 weeks. A bit of garlic, ginger, honey, onion, tomato and bell pepper with a dash of cumin and tumeric. The secret ingredient was fresh dill.

This one is hotter than my first batch.

Quote Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
    Just made my second quart of the year. This had jalapeņo, habanero and cayenne that had been fermenting 3 weeks. A bit of garlic, ginger, honey, onion, tomato and bell pepper with a dash of cumin and tumeric. The secret ingredient was fresh dill.

This one is hotter than my first batch.
    That one sounds superb!!!
    "After victory, tighten your helmet cord"
    -Japanese Proverb

I have been making my own hot sauce and pico de gallo for over 40 years. Its easy to make it hot.....but the art is in making it flavorful....a little bit of chili pepper of your choosing goes a long ways...I prefer a balance of diced tomatoes, onions and cilantro (or culantro if available) with salt and lemon or lime juice...the art is in the balance of salt and lime...the peppers you add will be hotter if you leave all the seeds in..remove some of the seeds if you want to tone it down...serranos are my favorite...go easy on the habanero or other super hot chiles...a little goes a long ways. Its easy to make it hot. If you want to thicken it up a little ....throw in a can of mexican salsa casera....when you are done you'll have the foundation for guacamole , corn and black bean salsa.....throw in some fresh boiled shrimp....or that pineapple you mentioned... add mango for mango salsa....or come visit me in Nicaragua and we'll throw in some fresh lobster or tuna.

i have four jars of hot peppers pickling right now. Sandwich toppers for some but i may blend the others.

I haven't really made any sauces but I had trouble getting my deer jerky hot enough. It seemed like the dehydration process reduced the heat greatly. I did a few batches with Dave's and it definitely made it hot but I believe my bottle of Dave's lost it's heat because of age.(?) I switched to using ground habanero powder and I love it. Habanero's have enough heat for me and I love the sweet flavor. As far as reapers go, I've eaten Reaper wings at several different restaurants now and, while hot, they really aren't outrageous. Not sure if the places are diluting them or what, but either way, I ain't crazy about the flavor of the Reapers. Don't know how to describe it, it's like a musky flavor or something.