Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 1927282930 LastLast

Thread: FBI Charges of Fraud & Corruption In College Basketball

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Default Re: FBI Charges of Fraud & Corruption In College Basketball

The whole big time college athletic system system is based on cheating. but the NCAA won't do anything about it because it's their cash cow. Either just suck it up and pay athletes in a sort of semi-pro format. Or just allow the blue chips to go straight pro. And leave the College sports for kids that actually want to be in college.
    Last edited by Spur's Addiction; 10-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
    And leave the College sports for kids that actually want to be in college.

I would love this. It's the reason I love college sports in the first place.

The whole big time college athletic system system is based on cheating. but the NCAA won;t do anything about it because it's their cash cow. Either just suck it up and pay athletes in a sort of semi-pro format. Or just allow the blue chips to go straight pro. And leave the College sports for kids that actually want to be in college.
    I agree that the players, regardless of sport, should be able to go pro directly from high school. The problem is that those are collectively bargained by the pro league and players union. NCAA has no control over it.

Jury verdict for first trial is in. Defendants guilty on all 7 counts of wire fraud and conspiracy to commit wire fraud. 3 counts for Gatto and 2 counts each for Dawkins and Code. Sentencing will be at a later date.

Official Baseball Chick USCBatgirl21's Avatar

The NCAA is typing up their FOIA request right now.
    What can I say...
    I swear like a sailor & use please and thank you like a saint...
    I'm complicated

This is the best reason why the NCAA should go back to not allowing Freshmen to play their first year in school.

It's kinda the same logic of not allowing 18 year-olds to drink alcohol.

Sentencing is set for March 5th next year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.a5e93939d44b

The judge set sentencing for March 5, just 12 days before the unveiling of the field of the annual NCAA menís basketball tournament, which will again generate more than a billion dollars in revenue and provide a premier showcase on national television for the apparel companies whose shoes and jerseys are worn by the top teams.

It's pretty clear to me that this issue has run off recruits. There's no other explanation for not being able to capitalize on our first in history Final Four. In my opinion, this black cloud is passing, if not gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleo View Post
    It's pretty clear to me that this issue has run off recruits. There's no other explanation for not being able to capitalize on our first in history Final Four. In my opinion, this black cloud is passing, if not gone.
    Frank has had trouble recruiting since he has been here.

Except for Dozier and Thornwell, Evans didn't really bring us players that were good enough on and off the field to cut it here.

Our shooting last year was improved after Bruce Shingler got here and Chuck Martin has brought in some good kids, too.

Evans apparently was only looking for short-term guys he could make money off of with NBA agents.

The media had everyone thinking the top 30 teams in the country would all be finished, but that clearly hasn't happened and probably won't.

I think our improvement has more to do with Evans leaving than the scandal itself if you stop and think about it.

The whole big time college athletic system system is based on cheating. but the NCAA won't do anything about it because it's their cash cow. Either just suck it up and pay athletes in a sort of semi-pro format. Or just allow the blue chips to go straight pro. And leave the College sports for kids that actually want to be in college.
    A friend told me that the NBA is changing the rule on their end in the next few years to allow player recruitment directly out of high school. The D-league now provides the opportunity for player development that they used to rely on colleges for. Assuming this is true, the NBA is following the MLB model for player development and not the NFL. It's probably for the best, but it's going to make the college game a little less exciting, but also hopefully a little less top heavy.
    EMOLLIT MORES NEC SINIT ESSE FEROS
    UNIVERSITAS CAROLIN MERID. 1801

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    A friend told me that the NBA is changing the rule on their end in the next few years to allow player recruitment directly out of high school. The D-league now provides the opportunity for player development that they used to rely on colleges for. Assuming this is true, the NBA is following the MLB model for player development and not the NFL. It's probably for the best, but it's going to make the college game a little less exciting, but also hopefully a little less top heavy.

I hope he is right. I think this would be fantastic for everybody involved. I'd also say the game would get more exciting because it will get a lot less top heavy.

People will still watch college hoops after those athletes are routed to the NBA because it's still an Us vs. Them thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I hope he is right. I think this would be fantastic for everybody involved. I'd also say the game would get more exciting because it will get a lot less top heavy.
    The plan I saw reported on was that the G-League would offer select kids a one year, $125K contract. It would be a one time contract and the kid would automatically be in the next draft. They still have some things to work out like the process to determine which players to offer these contracts.

While I think it's a step in the right direction for the NBA, I'm not sure it will be a successful initiative. Going to the G-League and playing against older veterans trying to fight their way into the league has the potential to highlight weaknesses that might not be seen if he played college ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Frank has had trouble recruiting since he has been here.
    A Final Four team, Tied and broke the school win record. How did he do this without good players? This year's class looks like his best yet and he has trouble recruiting?

Things took an interesting turn yesterday.

By Wednesday afternoon, nobody knew what to believe.

According to testimony from Christian Dawkins, he and Creighton assistant Preston Murphy made up a fake player at Creighton named Marcus Phillips in order to take money from an undercover FBI agent.

"He was just a random person that was made up," Dawkins testified under oath. "He never played for Creighton."

Under oath, Dawkins testified that the undercover agent gave $6,000 to Murphy to take care of Phillips, but Murphy gave the money to Dawkins.

To sum it up cleanly, Christian Dawkins testified under oath that he literally made up a human being in order to con the undercover FBI agent out of $6,000.

Knowing that Dawkins admitted to making up a player in order to receive money, and did so under oath, how could one possibly believe anything Dawkins said on any type of wiretap?
    https://247sports.com/college/arizon...ial-131702245/

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Update: former Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans was sentenced to three months behind bars Friday, and he stands the very real possibility of being deported out of the United States:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-ncaa-to-act/

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Update: former Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans was sentenced to three months behind bars Friday, and he stands the very real possibility of being deported out of the United States:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-ncaa-to-act/
    Wow! How did no one know he wasnít a legal United States citizen. I assume he was on a working visa?

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    A Final Four team, Tied and broke the school win record. How did he do this without good players? This year's class looks like his best yet and he has trouble recruiting?
    He's been here 7 full seasons. He has one NCAA appearance and one NIT. During that time he has had a high turnover rate because the players he has brought in either are head cases or can't compete at this level. Show me a consistent record of 18 or more wins and multiple NCAA appearances and I'll show you someone who is recruiting well.

Now, having said that, his last class looks like his most complete class since has been here. The incoming class looks okay but he missed on too many players - including some local guys like Gary, Brown, James and Burns.

It is indisputable that Frank has had trouble recruiting top players to SC.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    Wow! How did no one know he wasn’t a legal United States citizen. I assume he was on a working visa?
    I'm not sure how this happens. We have military veterans that are being deported because they are not citizens.