Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top ______ and score _____ points per game.

Default Re: The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top ______ and score _____ points per game.

"Total offense" is a worthless statistic. Look at our last game? Who cares if you go up and down the field all day if you don't score. They had more yards, but less points.

"Scoring Offense" is the meaningful stat. We're sitting at 49 with 31 points per game. Last year we were 99th, with 24 points per game. So basically, we're scoring 1 more TD per game than last year.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Default Re: The 2018 BMac led offense will finish top ______ and score _____ points per game.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    "Total offense" is a worthless statistic. Look at our last game? Who cares if you go up and down the field all day if you don't score. They had more yards, but less points.

"Scoring Offense" is the meaningful stat. We're sitting at 49 with 31 points per game. Last year we were 99th, with 24 points per game. So basically, we're scoring 1 more TD per game than last year.
    And we're still yet to play our easy FCS teams (Akron, Chat), so that number could still go up a lot.
    Do ya thing

I'm happy with BMac at OC. Even happier to see him on the sidelines some. I suppose Werner is upstairs but we didn't need both of them in the booth. Anywho, I think he is growing into the job and will end up as a head coach one day. I think TRob is doing a good job with what he has available. Maybe we will play a little more press/man coverage from here on out.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    And we're still yet to play our easy FCS teams (Akron, Chat), so that number could still go up a lot.

To my mind, that really says it all as most schools have played at least 2 non-power 5 conference schools by now.
    Last edited by Senior Rooster; 11-05-2018 at 04:47 PM.

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    Akron is FBS.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post

While Total Offense in the vacuum of a single game might not indicate anything, it seems to be holding up as an indicator for success at the top for the season. I like the efficiency breakdowns better as well but once you are over 500 yards per game it seems to be a separating factor. Only nine teams are averaging 500+ yards per game this year. All 9 have winning records. All 9 are top 15 in scoring offense as well-with 8 in top 10. They are a combined 65-15 (.813). 5 are ranked in top 25, 4 in the top 10. All but Ole Miss are receiving votes in the AP. 2 are practical locks for the playoff with two more still in the hunt. 6 of them are still in serious contention for their conference titles.

Side note: Only 2 of these teams - CU (3) and Bama (11) - are in the top 50 in total defense.
    If y'all travel a tad south of Heaven
    and a bit north of Hell,
    Y'all find me sippin' tea in Camp Branch
    with a Gamecock story to tell.

Funny looking back.... pretty much everyone was in agreement that if we could average between 28 and 31 PPG this year it would be great.

Yet we still hear so many complaints....

Quote Originally Posted by the camp branch kid View Post
    Only nine teams are averaging 500+ yards per game this year.
    Maybe they've just played a bunch of bad teams.... ACC! ACC! ACC!

And 3 of those 9 are in the AAC and don't really play anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    Funny looking back.... pretty much everyone was in agreement that if we could average between 28 and 31 PPG this year it would be great.

The margins in our wins have been very small because the defense has had trouble stopping people.

McClendon, Werner and crew are doing a good job as far as I can tell.

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    The margins in our wins have been very small because the defense has had trouble stopping people.
    That, and in the games we've lost, our offense has been less than stellar. I think we would all be willing to pay a lot of money for another shot at Kentucky and A&M.

I'm not counting UGA because I just don't think we're up there with them quite yet.