Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10181920

Thread: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default Re: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    Who would have thought the #1 and best recruit ever would go to South Carolina ...? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't work. They recruited one of the best players in the nation and he lived up to the hype and then some. It wasn't luck.
    I seem to recall that when Watson committed to Clemson, that they all said the offensive system under Chad Morris at the time was essentially the exact same type of system that Watson ran at his high school, and that there would be very little if any learning curve needed for Watson to step up in the starter's role - only whatever physical develop was needed to play at the collegiate level. And Watson did step up as a true freshman pretty quickly. It was one of those lightning in a bottle situations that not only do you find an elite talent close by, but that the elite talent at a very important skill position can basically explain your offensive playbook as well as a junior on your team could, right out of high school. Not much you can do about that kind of fit.....

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    Who would have thought the #1 and best recruit ever would go to South Carolina ...? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't work. They recruited one of the best players in the nation and he lived up to the hype and then some. It wasn't luck.
    It was luck Clemson signed him and it was luck he turned out to be a great college QB who won a national championship for them in the closing seconds of the Alabama game. Lots of top rated players are over-hyped and don't live up to either their potential.

Watson launched the Clemson program into the big time. They would not have won all those games without him.

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    With Iyama taking a medical hardship
    Dang, I mustíve missed that. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    It was luck Clemson signed him and it was luck he turned out to be a great college QB who won a national championship for them in the closing seconds of the Alabama game. Lots of top rated players are over-hyped and don't live up to either their potential.

Watson launched the Clemson program into the big time. They would not have won all those games without him.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post

Clemson’s recruiting connections got them a tip on Watson. They actually started recruiting him after watching him on a youth league baseball field IIRC.

His HS coincidentally started running the exact same offense, with the exact same terminology Clemson used. That put him miles ahead coming into college.

He committed early, and stuck with his commitment. He was highly rated, and lived up to the hype.

There’s always an element of luck in life. Maybe it’s pure luck that Watson wound up being a star. Maybe it’s pure luck that they’ve recruited a lot of highly rated guys who have pretty much all panned out.

If it’s all pure luck, I’m waiting on the tables to turn, because we’ve seemingly been snakebit for quite a while. Until then, we’re going to have to depend on the staff and players outworking everyone else and creating our own success.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    Dang, I mustíve missed that. What happened?
    https://southcarolina.rivals.com/new...dical-hardship
    Your Signature.