Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Default Re: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by sgacock View Post
    Did his knee touch?
    Nope.
    "Don't ask me to cook the dinner, and not let me shop for the groceries." - Will Muschamp

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Just gave a 2020 scholarship to a FCS TE transfer who will have to red-shirt this season. Don't think we will get a number of these guys we were thinking we will get....

Yeah lets keep that momentum going! Offer a schooly to a LS and now a FCS TE!

The LS I get... but im really questioning this TE. Like... we have 3 legit TEs interested in us and we go with a transfer from FCS? Idk man.
    Just a smoking Cock

Section 509, Row 13 garnet_black215's Avatar

Again, this is why I will never get my hopes up when it comes to recruiting. Three weeks ago, we were thinking it was about to absolutely explode, now we’re offering scholarships to FCS TEs. Not hard to figure out that we’re not getting a lot of the players we thought we would.

Supports Open Carry greatwhitecock's Avatar

Just saw where SC offered a full ride to the #2 Punter in the country after he had a strong camp showing. Field position is a biggie so I'm good with it.
    Dabo Swinney is the Benny Hinn of college ball.
    Just a dabo that DabOstarine showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
    Again, this is why I will never get my hopes up when it comes to recruiting. Three weeks ago, we were thinking it was about to absolutely explode, now were offering scholarships to FCS TEs. Not hard to figure out that were not getting a lot of the players we thought we would.
    Idk I still feel pretty good about Bigsby and Burch but Im really disappointed in offering muse, a 1 year rental scholarship....

Quote Originally Posted by garnet_black215 View Post
    Again, this is why I will never get my hopes up when it comes to recruiting. Three weeks ago, we were thinking it was about to absolutely explode, now we’re offering scholarships to FCS TEs. Not hard to figure out that we’re not getting a lot of the players we thought we would.
    Can you please provide some info as to what his weaknesses are since you seem to be so hell bent that he sucks? There are many FCS players in the NFL. Just curious as to why you think this guy isn't any good and what you've seen of him to make you think he sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    Idk I still feel pretty good about Bigsby and Burch but I’m really disappointed in offering muse, a 1 year rental scholarship....
    Don't know if he's good or not, but he should have two years to play. Not sure why people don't do research before spewing crap.

Architect ya lifestyle gamecox3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sharpe0284 View Post
    Don't know if he's good or not, but he should have two years to play. Not sure why people don't do research before spewing crap.
    These people bother me so much. The sky is always falling. Nick Muse looks promising.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI_IV6Gyp4c
    "C'mon man. This is god given. The only thing I gotta do is show up." - Boobie Wilds #22

Christina makin' Milians

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    Yeah lets keep that momentum going! Offer a schooly to a LS and now a FCS TE!
    Welcome back!! What did you think of the Kaba and Lloyd commitments? I don't recall seeing you post in those threads...but I am sure you probably did. You and G & B are more worried about the final recruiting rankings and not what the guys that coach our team think. There is a reason coaches coach, fans are fans and 247/Rivals staff evaluate. SC would never pay me, you or Steve Wiltfong to manage the Gamecocks.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post
    These people bother me so much. The sky is always falling. Nick Muse looks promising.

Thank you. I feel much better about it having watched the videos. The kid is a baller. Great hands, runs good routes and he is not slow. He can help us.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecox3 View Post

he "looks promising" off of one clip where he was isolated outside on a not terribly athletic looking LB? I get being positive but come on.

I trust our staff when it comes to talent evaluation but I don't understand the move at all.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post
    he "looks promising" off of one clip where he was isolated outside on a not terribly athletic looking LB? I get being positive but come on.

I trust our staff when it comes to talent evaluation but I don't understand the move at all.
    Seventh in the league in receiving YPG - for a TE, that is very good. He was also 3rd team All-CAA - despite missing 4 games. He has the size and athleticism to be a big-time pass-catching TE for us.

Have to admit, his commit raised my eyebrows when I first saw the news.

That said, one of our best ever (and IIRC) highest drafted TE ever was a walk-on who was recruited here by our walk-on QB.

It tells me two things...one, the staff sees something in him they like, and two, it gives me the impression that the younger TE’s on the roster currently may not be getting the job done.

Architect ya lifestyle gamecox3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock303 View Post

First of all. That one clip is a very high level catch, against worthy competition. Second, whenever a tight-end is split out wide and isolated for a fade on the goalline, you have to be impressed. That does not happen very often. Third, the rest of W&M highlights, and the stats available on Muse look very good. The CAA is a pretty solid football league with NFL talent on most of the teams. This isnt HS or JUCO. For him to do what he has done at W&M at such a young age shows that the kid is a player.

Tight ends with this kind of well rounded game are not common. He is a natural, fluid athlete who does not struggle to get low. He has legit NFL size. He is an excellent receiver. I do not understand what you do not understand.
    "C'mon man. This is god given. The only thing I gotta do is show up." - Boobie Wilds #22

Christina makin' Milians

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post

It tells me two things...one, the staff sees something in him they like, and two, it gives me the impression that the younger TEs on the roster currently may not be getting the job done.
    Point 1: Yes. Point 2: No. Neither Kenion or Toney have even played a down, and the staff seems to like their potential. To me, it's more an indictment of the older guys, including Hinson, Markway and Register (especially if they're hoping to get a waiver for Muse to play right away). It disappoints me not because I don't like Muse, but because I was really hoping to get one of the other guys we're in the running for. This signing doesn't rule that out, but to me, it decreases the likelihood that we're feeling good about one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    Point 1: Yes. Point 2: No. Neither Kenion or Toney have even played a down, and the staff seems to like their potential. To me, it's more an indictment of the older guys, including Hinson, Markway and Register (especially if they're hoping to get a waiver for Muse to play right away). It disappoints me not because I don't like Muse, but because I was really hoping to get one of the other guys we're in the running for. This signing doesn't rule that out, but to me, it decreases the likelihood that we're feeling good about one of them.
    Of course Kenion and Toney haven’t played a down yet. By younger guys I meant everyone that’s not a true Sr or true Freshman.

Right now Pollard is probably our best ball catching TE, he’s a Sr. Markway is adequate. Beyond those two it’s murky.

Bring Muse in, while it’s likely he has to sit out there’s a chance he’ll get approved to play this year. The staff may like his skill set over other TE’s on the roster.

That’ll give the true Freshmen time to bulk up and adjust their bodies for the rigors of SEC play. Some positions true Freshmen can easily step into, others would benefit from a year of S/C work. Ideally you’d want a TE to be more physically prepared.

My questioning of the Muse signing has nothing to do with Muse himself or even the TE depth, but what that may mean to the rest of the class. We have 3 more highly rated DL in play, plus Tank, plus several WR targets and TEs. By taking him now, it likely means they have missed on at least 1 high priority target. The numbers start to get pretty tight when you take a transfer TE before your higher targets have announced.
    Q:Why did the Rooster cross the road?
    A:To kick a Tiger's Ass

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    Have to admit, his commit raised my eyebrows when I first saw the news.

That said, one of our best ever (and IIRC) highest drafted TE ever was a walk-on who was recruited here by our walk-on QB.

It tells me two things...one, the staff sees something in him they like, and two, it gives me the impression that the younger TE’s on the roster currently may not be getting the job done.
    SECOND highest drafted tight end ever.