Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default Re: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    Who would have thought the #1 and best recruit ever would go to South Carolina ...? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't work. They recruited one of the best players in the nation and he lived up to the hype and then some. It wasn't luck.
    I seem to recall that when Watson committed to Clemson, that they all said the offensive system under Chad Morris at the time was essentially the exact same type of system that Watson ran at his high school, and that there would be very little if any learning curve needed for Watson to step up in the starter's role - only whatever physical develop was needed to play at the collegiate level. And Watson did step up as a true freshman pretty quickly. It was one of those lightning in a bottle situations that not only do you find an elite talent close by, but that the elite talent at a very important skill position can basically explain your offensive playbook as well as a junior on your team could, right out of high school. Not much you can do about that kind of fit.....

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    Who would have thought the #1 and best recruit ever would go to South Carolina ...? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't work. They recruited one of the best players in the nation and he lived up to the hype and then some. It wasn't luck.
    It was luck Clemson signed him and it was luck he turned out to be a great college QB who won a national championship for them in the closing seconds of the Alabama game. Lots of top rated players are over-hyped and don't live up to either their potential.

Watson launched the Clemson program into the big time. They would not have won all those games without him.

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    With Iyama taking a medical hardship
    Dang, I must’ve missed that. What happened?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    It was luck Clemson signed him and it was luck he turned out to be a great college QB who won a national championship for them in the closing seconds of the Alabama game. Lots of top rated players are over-hyped and don't live up to either their potential.

Watson launched the Clemson program into the big time. They would not have won all those games without him.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post

Clemson’s recruiting connections got them a tip on Watson. They actually started recruiting him after watching him on a youth league baseball field IIRC.

His HS coincidentally started running the exact same offense, with the exact same terminology Clemson used. That put him miles ahead coming into college.

He committed early, and stuck with his commitment. He was highly rated, and lived up to the hype.

There’s always an element of luck in life. Maybe it’s pure luck that Watson wound up being a star. Maybe it’s pure luck that they’ve recruited a lot of highly rated guys who have pretty much all panned out.

If it’s all pure luck, I’m waiting on the tables to turn, because we’ve seemingly been snakebit for quite a while. Until then, we’re going to have to depend on the staff and players outworking everyone else and creating our own success.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    Dang, I must’ve missed that. What happened?
    https://southcarolina.rivals.com/new...dical-hardship
    Your Signature.

So with the commitments of Feaster and Kai Kroeger (punter) how many spots do we have left for 2020? Can Feaster take Iyama’s scholarship? I assume our remaining targets are Burch, Bigsby, Tonka Hemingway, Conley, Dejuan Mcdougle, Rico Powers and pipe dreams of flipping Myles Murphy and Desmond Evans from UNC.

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    So with the commitments of Feaster and Kai Kroeger (punter) how many spots do we have left for 2020? Can Feaster take Iyama’s scholarship? I assume our remaining targets are Burch, Bigsby, Tonka Hemingway, Conley, Dejuan Mcdougle, Rico Powers and pipe dreams of flipping Myles Murphy and Desmond Evans from UNC.
    I asked this earlier - unless I'm mistaken, how I interpret it is, this class for 2020 was always going to be a 23-player class, due to Belk and Cook counting forward for it, taking 2 spots away. So that is the status of the class.

Feaster should NOT count against the 2020 class, unless I'm mistaken: he won't be a part of the 2020 season, being a graduate transfer, and therefore only counts against the total 85-scholarship player roster limit. So, in effect, Feaster could now take Ilyama's vacated scholarship spot from the 85 maximum, but obviously there was always an available spot for Feaster, as it was considered a lock on this site for a while that Feaster was coming here....

Now, Kroeger DOES take a spot away from the 23-player limit for 2020, since he is in fact a scholarship prospect of that cycle.

So we have a 23-player maximum, with now 15 commitments for that class in pocket, with Kai's commitment. That leaves 8 available spots left to work with. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here....

Feaster will count as part of the 2020 class even thought he will play in 2019. All players put on scholarship that were not at the school for at least 2 years have to count in a recruiting cycle. We have used all 25 of our spots for 2019 so Feaster has to be in 2020 class.

We have 7 spots left in 2020 class as we have 15 commits plus have added 3 transfers.

Iyama counted towards 2018 and I don't think he'll lose that scholarship under the medical hardship rule.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by wildwes View Post
    We have 7 spots left in 2020 class as we have 15 commits plus have added 3 transfers.
    I think this is correct and don't know why we wouldn't use all 7 spots.
    How many kids are going to listen to Dabo say "aw shucks, if yew join ush, I'll promise yuh a natty ring and a fifty grayund, hyuk hyuk..." - 2k15

Quote Originally Posted by Soda City Spur View Post
    Iyama counted towards 2018 and I don't think he'll lose that scholarship under the medical hardship rule.
    He doesn’t lose his scholarship, but IIRC it doesn’t count against the team’s numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    He doesn’t lose his scholarship, but IIRC it doesn’t count against the team’s numbers.
    Correct....

Class is weak. Needs help

Quote Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
    You have no idea what you're talking about. We recruit for needs not stars.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
    Need to wait until December at the earliest to make that call.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    As do the top teams in the country. This class is shaping up to be par for the course. 7-9 in the SEC

Lol, maybe we could do both?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    As do the top teams in the country. This class is shaping up to be par for the course. 7-9 in the SEC
    7-9 in the SEC is still a top 25 recruiting class so that isn't " weak".

7-9 in the SEC is still a top 25 recruiting class so that isn't " weak".
    You keep the faith man. I prefer to live in reality.