Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Default Re: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    This may turn out to be right, but it was a different set of circumstances.
    It feels like the fan base and the media had more faith in Spurrier because he had won the 6 SECs and a National title. Spurrier started really slow but had won some big games as an underdog. With Muschamp we have won games we should have won and covered but lost most of the games we were supposed to, which isn’t as exciting as Spurrier’s early big wins on top of that from a fan perspective. On recruiting itself CWM and company have been in on far more high caliber players then SOS and friends ever had been on outside of one recruiting class, now coaches are out there with literally “playing time in the SEC” to offer 5* recruits while his in-state rival and biggest SEC rival are offering championships. Not saying everything is perfect with the state of football because I’m far more optimistic for basketball this coming season then football. Muschamp is in a tough spot with what Clemson and Georgia are right now and at a tough place to get people to believe you can win at because literally no one really has one anything at USC. I hope we make a bowl around New Years this year because we have the deepest team CWM has had here but he needs a 5-7 year window to give it a swing as long as we don’t have a 3-9 season in that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
    Getting blown out by amid tier ACC program like UVA tells me all I need to know about the future of this program under Muschamp.
    To be fair, you arenít happy unless youíre bitching about something.

Yes, it sucked losing to UVA.

It also sucked having our best offensive player sit out, one of our better OL out, one of our better RBís having to play DB, and the rest of the guys resembling a MASH unit more than a football team. We were playing guys who shouldíve been on the bench.

Thats what happens when you lack quality depth.

Weíre slowly building depth. It takes time, particularly starting basically from scratch.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    To be fair, you aren’t happy unless you’re bitching about something.

It also sucked having our best offensive player sit out, one of our better OL out, one of our better RB’s having to play DB, and the rest of the guys resembling a MASH unit more than a football team. We were playing guys who should’ve been on the bench.

We’re slowly building depth. It takes time, particularly starting basically from scratch.
    Lack quality depth and are absolutely ravaged by injuries.

How did Clemson get where they are? They struck gold with Watson that's how. We are not going to "out-recruit" them anytime soon. We can draw closer by catching a player like Watson and have some good fortune. But to say we can catch them just by the passage of time and good recruiting belies the entire history of the rivalry and the background and inner workings of the two programs.

As of now the talent gap is still wide. Sure, we are recruiting better since before the 2015 season, but so is Clemson. To close that gap we either have to beat them on the field and show recruits we are for real or we have to match their recruiting, and not allow them to gain any more advantage. The former will fix things quicker. The latter will take time. To beat them on the field we have to find some guys who can elevate their game. Someone has to be a leader. The way last season ended left a bad taste in my mouth. I saw guys laying down not rising up. That has to change.

In my humble opinion the coming season is not the one to judge the gap between the programs on the field. The season to do that is the following year. If there is progress then we keep going and try to narrow the gap some more. But we need to get lucky and have the ball bounce our way and get some guys like Jordan Burch and Tank Bigsby to come and play here.

Those are the things I will be watching over the next few years.
    He was the #1 Dual QB in the nation. They didn't strike gold. They got exactly what he was supposed to be. The best QB in the nation.
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Right. because wins and losses don't matter. Moral victories maybe good enough for some , but people who live in reality know better. Getting blown out by amid tier ACC program like UVA tells me all I need to know about the future of this program under Muschamp.
    Quote Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
    To be fair, you aren’t happy unless you’re bitching about something.

It also sucked having our best offensive player sit out, one of our better OL out, one of our better RB’s having to play DB, and the rest of the guys resembling a MASH unit more than a football team. We were playing guys who should’ve been on the bench.

We’re slowly building depth. It takes time, particularly starting basically from scratch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    Lack quality depth and are absolutely ravaged by injuries.
    I'll let them handle this ... I realize we have a lot of fans that didn't like the Muschamp hire, so being able to jump on a game like UVA is great for their argument. We had more of our 2 deep on Defense on the bench (or didn't even travel) than we had on the field. But yeah ... keep going ...

I agree with Cack.

Quote Originally Posted by cack View Post
    He was the #1 Dual QB in the nation. They didn't strike gold. They got exactly what he was supposed to be. The best QB in the nation.
    Who would have thought that the #1 Dual QB would go to Clemson? Their recruiting up to that point was good but not top 5 or 10. It opened the door for others. Then there was Mike Williams who wanted to come to SC. We turned him away. (Thanks Junior!!)

Sure, Morris had worked him since his sophomore year but his commitment to Clemson turned the tide for them. Plus, it was about the time when we stopped trying very hard.

Frank McGuire used to say, "you have to be good, but you have to be lucky." Clemson got lucky due to a confluence of events.

So yes, they stuck gold.

I'll let them handle this ... I realize we have a lot of fans that didn't like the Muschamp hire, so being able to jump on a game like UVA is great for their argument. We had more of our 2 deep on Defense on the bench (or didn't even travel) than we had on the field. But yeah ... keep going ...
    You got anything other than excuses? Muschamp got out coached and was unprepared.

You got anything other than excuses? Muschamp got out coached and was unprepared.
    What have you got? I hate Muschamp and we lost the game so he must be terrible? How many boards are you banned from now? You used to actually contribute some in recruiting, but lately you have done nothing but bitch and moan about shit that happened last year and each time a recruit picks any other team than SC. Give it a rest.....for your own mental well being.

Thereís the pessimist Ironfan we know and love! Youíd been pretty positive for a while. But Iím with Ironfan, outside of the Outback Bowl Muschampís teams have not looked confident in big games like UGA, UK, Clemson but some of that is due to injuries and not having quality depth. Butch Jones recruited great at UT but sucked on the field (outside of our 2013 meltdown in Knoxville) hopefully Muschamp wonít be our Butch Jones. Most are saying Hilinski and Pickens are our saviors but they havenít even played a snap so Iím skeptical until they prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by USCBaseball View Post
    What have you got? I hate Muschamp and we lost the game so he must be terrible? How many boards are you banned from now? You used to actually contribute some in recruiting, but lately you have done nothing but bitch and moan about shit that happened last year and each time a recruit picks any other team than SC. Give it a rest.....for your own mental well being.
    I know you weren't talking to me but I thought I'd throw this out there. I disliked the Muschamp hire, but his press conference convinced me he was determined to build this program to compete for the SEC title. Then he hired Roper for OC and I began to have doubts. But then we won 9 games in his second year and I thought maybe I judged him too harshly. Then he fired Roper and promoted BMac and hired Werner and we beat UM in a bowl game so I was back on the Muschamp wagon. Then we played a great game against Clemson at their place and my confidence rose even more. But I had lingering doubts about the way the QB position was being handled and offense went AWOL resulting in 6 straight quarters of scoreless football against Akron and UVA. Turns out Muschamp didn't use all the practice time available for the bowl and we laid an egg. Now it looks like recruiting is picking up and we are heading into the fall with new hope.

Such is the life of a Gamecock fan. (and probably for 90% of the college programs out there)

Turns out Muschamp didn't use all the practice time available for the bowl and we laid an egg.
    I would think any coach would do the same thing knowing his team was banged up and his roster was decimated.

Sometimes you just have to play the cards you’re dealt, no sense in gambling.

I have faith in the guy and his staff to turn things around, I honestly believe a lot of fans are overlooking how big a hole we were in when he started.

Good post. The previous staff left us in terrible shape and this past season we were hit hard with injuries. It takes time to rebuild from a 3 win season but I believe Muschamp will get the job done.

streetcarl if youre nasty TheWeave09's Avatar

After this year, all of the talk about the state that the program was in when spurrier left needs to stop. We get it, that staff stopped recruiting. I am paying very close attention this season to how we look in the process of getting to whatever record we end up having. If we’re still looking completely lost and lack identity then I’ll change my tune on Muschamp. We may only win 6 or 7 games, but if we see clear progress on the field and growth in HIS players then I think that’s a realistic expectation that would demonstrate that we’re on our way.

This year is probably the most important year for Muschamp's future at USC.

What many people are failing to realize is that the injuries were part of the narrative at Florida. They were decimated the year he was let go as well.

Offense was bad at Florida.
    Injuries were almost unbelievable.
    Conservative game management.

Was undecided on the hire but saw the potential if he could get it together. The Roper hire is one of the most bone headed,head scratching hires in the history of USC and I am including some absolute shit show coaches in basketball. It should have never been made and opened the door to the criticism he received. That being said almost every hire besides that one has been solid to very good.

He he needs to change the narrative around him or the whispers and here we go again crowd will continue to jump at every opportunity and he keeps leaving the door open for it. That UVA game was a absolute joke in every way imaginable. Point to injuries all you want and they were legit but the question has to be asked why we have so many consistently? Maybe he needs to change the physicality of practices or something. It’s part of his narrative and only he can change them...
    Hot Take: A guy juicing is a guy committed to giving the team his best, even at the expense of his health.

Do y’all think we will lose commits if we go 5-7 or worse. If we have jittery Jake, can’t establish the run and lose players in our talented but thin secondary our season will turn south quickly. I love that our staff are busting their asses to get good players but if UGA wins 10 games and we win 5 it’s not a good look...

Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    Do y’all think we will lose commits if we go 5-7 or worse. If we have jittery Jake, can’t establish the run and lose players in our talented but thin secondary our season will turn south quickly. I love that our staff are busting their asses to get good players but if UGA wins 10 games and we win 5 it’s not a good look...

Yes. 5-7 would crush our recruiting and signal the beginning of the end of Muschamp at USC.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

With Iyama taking a medical hardship, does that open up another spot for this class? I know the 85-scholarship limit is the over-riding limitation for recruiting, with 25 per cycle being the #2 limitation (you can take 25 every cycle, but if so, and none of them transfer out or leave to attrition, you'd have 100 scholarship players for Year/Cycle #4, and that can't work, so....).

But you can also count back or forward for scholarships, that can result in having less than 25 available spots for any cycle, even if the 85 overall limit hasn't been breached. So wondering if this gives us another spot in the 2020 class to work with, or if we've already used up the maximum 25 available, and therefore have to move forward with less than 85 (we could always give a year's scholarship to one of our PWOs, since that's supposed to be the idea there)....

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    With Iyama taking a medical hardship, does that open up another spot for this class? I know the 85-scholarship limit is the over-riding limitation for recruiting, with 25 per cycle being the #2 limitation (you can take 25 every cycle, but if so, and none of them transfer out or leave to attrition, you'd have 100 scholarship players for Year/Cycle #4, and that can't work, so....).

But you can also count back or forward for scholarships, that can result in having less than 25 available spots for any cycle, even if the 85 overall limit hasn't been breached. So wondering if this gives us another spot in the 2020 class to work with, or if we've already used up the maximum 25 available, and therefore have to move forward with less than 85 (we could always give a year's scholarship to one of our PWOs, since that's supposed to be the idea there)....
    I think we can only bring in 23 in this years class due to Belk and Cook coming in last year and having to count forward. I doubt that Iyama's situation will change that it will however give us another spot to be under the 85 scholarship limit (which I believe I read somewhere in the spring was may be tough without a lot of transfers since we were only had something like 17 seniors on this years roster).

Who would have thought that the #1 Dual QB would go to Clemson? Their recruiting up to that point was good but not top 5 or 10. It opened the door for others. Then there was Mike Williams who wanted to come to SC. We turned him away. (Thanks Junior!!)

Sure, Morris had worked him since his sophomore year but his commitment to Clemson turned the tide for them. Plus, it was about the time when we stopped trying very hard.

Frank McGuire used to say, "you have to be good, but you have to be lucky." Clemson got lucky due to a confluence of events.

So yes, they stuck gold.
    Who would have thought the #1 and best recruit ever would go to South Carolina ...? I'm sorry but your theory just doesn't work. They recruited one of the best players in the nation and he lived up to the hype and then some. It wasn't luck.

I agree with Cack.