Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

streetcarl if youre nasty TheWeave09's Avatar

Default Re: Discussion: 2020 Recruiting Impressions

Tisdol and Cohen are all Auburn barring something crazy like Gus finally getting fired this season. If that happens it could open back up

Quote Originally Posted by TheWeave09 View Post
    Tisdol and Cohen are all Auburn barring something crazy like Gus finally getting fired this season. If that happens it could open back up
    There is a better than good chance of that happening. Auburn opens @Oregon and plays Georgia and @Florida in the east this year. They could very possibly go 7-5 or even 6-6 this year which would show Gus the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
    There is a better than good chance of that happening. Auburn opens @Oregon and plays Georgia and @Florida in the east this year. They could very possibly go 7-5 or even 6-6 this year which would show Gus the door.
    If the Gus loses to Bama and goes 8-4, Auburn will fire him! Astonishingly they asked him to waive his buyout so they could fire him last year.

Gus will be gone soon. Unfortunately, Tisdol and Cohen will be left wondering what to do when that happens.

With the early signing period now, you would think kids would be extra cautious about committing to schools with coaches that are squarely on the hot seat. Imagine this scenario:

Tisdol/Cohen commits to Auburn. Good for them. That's a great accomplishment. But mid-way through the year, Gus's seat starts heating up. By the first week of December when Auburn finishes 8-4/7-5, the university announces that Gus has been relieved of his duties. By the end of the second week of December, Auburn announces a new coach with no supporting staff. No coordinators, and no position coaches. Early signing day for 2019 is December 19-21. That means these guys would about a week to figure out where they want to go to school if they have concerns about not even knowing who they would be playing for.

So let's assume they come back to USC and ask if they still have spots available. Well, we might have kept a spot open for them had they not committed to Auburn, but we had to move on. We went out and got another LB/OL to commit and they are planning on signing at 8am on December 19. Now Tisdol/Cohen pretty much just have to bite the bullet and hope Auburn gets somebody that's going to be good for them.

I try not to place blame on kids or their parents when it comes to recruiting. They get a lot of information from a lot of different people, but when it comes to sending your child off to play for somebody, wouldn't you want to be absolutely sure that you know who that person is, and that you've developed a good relationship with them? It just seems irresponsible for parents to let their kids do that, simply because it's a local school or whatever.

Now, you never truly know. I mean, coaches get fired/leave all the time and players in the program are sort of stuck there waiting to see who they get as a new coach, but that's a lot different than committing to an extremely volatile situation. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking this.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Cohen is an in-state prospect for them. Perhaps his family are all big Auburn fans, or perhaps he grew up a big Auburn fan. I have no issue with him going to an in-state program. Tisdol is from GA but Auburn/Alabama have always been big recruiters for GA talent.....

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Setting up for a massive weekend for us. Hoping to get a few commitments, privately at least if not public.

Really want to land Burch/Bigsby.

Perhaps with Lloyd committing earlier this week it is another sign to show Burch he will be playing on a very talented team here.

One thing that got me excited was seeing that while we may be 17th in the overall rankings, we’re top 5 nationally in average rating per player (according to 247). That’s just behind Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State and LSU.

"This class has the potential to be very special"

I agree with that statement, but I've heard it before several times. So far so good, and there is a lot to be excited about for sure. Let's hope we get 70% of the big names we think we're able to get and it will be a solid class.

JD

Supports Open Carry greatwhitecock's Avatar

So who all is on campus this wknd?
    Dabo Swinney is the Benny Hinn of college ball.
    Just a dabo that DabOstarine showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Cohen is an in-state prospect for them. Perhaps his family are all big Auburn fans, or perhaps he grew up a big Auburn fan. I have no issue with him going to an in-state program. Tisdol is from GA but Auburn/Alabama have always been big recruiters for GA talent.....
    Totally agree with everything you’ve said. I still think it’s irresponsible to commit to instability. I have no problem if either one of them commits to Auburn, but to do it now seems silly. If I was a parent, I’d be telling them to wait until at least mid-way through the season.

Running in a Sandstorm Gamecockboyo's Avatar

Cohen committed to Auburn just a few moments ago.

I'd say the weekend didn't produce as many Spursup as we'd hoped but it certainly produces a fair amount of CBs for our big targets. Think we still land Murphy and Tank but just not yet. Not really sure what's holding Tank back from committing to be honest. But hes kept his recruiting fairly quiet from an interview perspective. Also seem to be trending now with Burch so I'd say we're doing alright. Just need to be patient.
    Just a smoking Cock

Quote Originally Posted by CockFrmStateFarm View Post
    I'd say the weekend didn't produce as many Spursup as we'd hoped but it certainly produces a fair amount of CBs for our big targets. Think we still land Murphy and Tank but just not yet. Not really sure what's holding Tank back from committing to be honest. But hes kept his recruiting fairly quiet from an interview perspective. Also seem to be trending now with Burch so I'd say we're doing alright. Just need to be patient.
    First, it’s impossible to say that as today is not over. Second, you are basing an assumption on just three days. It’s very possible they commit to the coaches and ask them to not announce it. Then the go home, shoot a commitment video/ roll out a tweet, or however else they want to announce within a few days.

Give it a week or so and let’s see where we are then.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockygaming View Post
    First, it’s impossible to say that as today is not over. Second, you are basing an assumption on just three days. It’s very possible they commit to the coaches and ask them to not announce it. Then the go home, shoot a commitment video/ roll out a tweet, or however else they want to announce within a few days.

Give it a week or so and let’s see where we are then.
    You very well may be right. Im by no means discouraged and don't want anyone to read that into my message. I think before it's all said and done, We get Tank, Murphy, Hill and even Burch. There was just a lot of hype heading into these OVs and some people even stated we'd see several Spursup this weekend. I'm just saying its looking like we just need to wait a little longer.
    Just a smoking Cock

The problem is, that it’s not the way it used to be. Kids want to break the news. I’m fairly confident (prob 85%) that we will see 1 or maybe 2 more commitments before the week is over.

Hill and Murphy are the two most likely. For Tank, it’s not if, it’s when.

Also, I’m hearing we lead for Burch outright now.

We'll Tisdol, Cohen and Capers via the transfer portal!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    We'll Tisdol, Cohen and Capers via the transfer portal!
    Tisdol did not commit to AU this weekend, so we may still get that visit.

Under Muschamp we have been so close on really having a top 10 class. We have been really close to reeling in multiple top 50 players only to lose out in the end. To his credit, he kept his nose down and kept working. We are in position again to kick the door in regarding our recruiting. This class, if it comes together along with last years class could really make us turn the corner in the SEC. We need 1 monster class to get us going. We are in position again, letís hope he can reel this one in.
    Q:Why did the Rooster cross the road?
    A:To kick a Tiger's Ass

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
    Under Muschamp we have been so close on really having a top 10 class. We have been really close to reeling in multiple top 50 players only to lose out in the end. To his credit, he kept his nose down and kept working. We are in position again to kick the door in regarding our recruiting. This class, if it comes together along with last years class could really make us turn the corner in the SEC. We need 1 monster class to get us going. We are in position again, let’s hope he can reel this one in.
    We are definitely on the right track and between last year’s class and this year I think we will indeed turn the corner. I think we will finish with a top 12 class this year and also need to have a solid football season (8+ wins).