Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 WBB - Elysa Wesolek

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Default 2018 WBB - Elysa Wesolek

6-1 Forward out of Northwood Academy in Charleston. Just committed to be added to our 2018 class.

ESPN Profile

Default Re: 2018 WBB - Elysa Wesolek

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    6-1 Forward out of Northwood Academy in Charleston. Just committed to be added to our 2018 class.

ESPN Profile

Just saw that on twitter.. Looking to learn more about her game...

The ESPN profile link shows her as being signed with Western Kentucky. Not sure what's up there. She had other offers from Old Dominion and Florida Atlantic. Her profile's latest evaluation:

John Lucas Elite 160-September 2016: Blue-collar interior performer competes on glass, brings developing offensive game; competes on both ends of the floor, versatile defender. (Olson)
    So sounds like she's a defender and rebounder first, with her offense coming along......also keep in mind that this eval was from 2016...
    Last edited by ConwayGamecock; 04-16-2018 at 08:39 PM.

Well, that was unexpected in a whole bunch of different ways. Welcome aboard, Elysa!

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

The ESPN profile link shows her as being signed with Western Kentucky. Not sure what's up there. She had other offers from Old Dominion and Florida Atlantic. Her profile's latest evaluation:

So sounds like she's a defender and rebounder first, with her offense coming along......
    WKU gave her a release from her commitment, which was quite magnanimous of them. Of course, who would want a player that wants to be elsewhere. I guess we won't go a season without an in-state player.

So sounds like she's a defender and rebounder first, with her offense coming along......
    Go watch her video. Very skilled Big. Listed as 62. Can handle, post moves with both hands and range well beyond the 3 point line. Granted its scisa. But she satisfies a need.

Some highlights of her junior year:

I did find a blurb that reported Wesolek signed with Western Kentucky in 2017:

http://www.live5news.com/story/36234...stern-kentucky

The head coach at the time, Michelle Clark-Heard, had since left WKU to take the HC job at Cincinnati. That might explain how we're getting her now. The blurb of her committing to WKU didn't have us recruiting her, however:

Wesolek told Live 5 she was also considering Old Dominion, Florida Atlantic, North Carolina, Wake Forest, Campbell, Xavier, Providence and Furman.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
    Go watch her video. Very skilled Big. Listed as 62. Can handle, post moves with both hands and range well beyond the 3 point line. Granted its scisa. But she satisfies a need.
    You can't fake the ability to shoot, in my opinion. Defense certainly has an affect, but if you can't shoot it doesn't matter if you're in the gym by yourself.

1st Team All-American USCBASEBALL1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    You can't fake the ability to shoot, in my opinion. Defense certainly has an affect, but if you can't shoot it doesn't matter if you're in the gym by yourself.
    She looks like she can score. Pretty thick and 6'2". I like her game. Appears pretty physical.

Confident with the ball. Quick to the basket underneath. Decent defender. Can hit the three. Tall, solid, and physical. This could be surprisingly good pickup.

I like that from the video it looks like she’s not afraid to get in there and take a charge every now and then. I would love to finally see someone on this team proficient at taking charges, like Frank Booker and Blair Schaefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cockfather View Post
    Our last SCISA player worked out pretty well

Quote Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
    I like that from the video it looks like shes not afraid to get in there and take a charge every now and then. I would love to finally see someone on this team proficient at taking charges, like Frank Booker and Blair Schaefer.
    I loathe flopping... One of the things I love most about Coach Staleys squads, they don't flop... Both Booked and Schaefer are notorious floppers... Miss St is flop city.. I say play ball and cut the crap

Wonder if we are interested in Whalen of vanderbilt

Wow nice pickup and she's from instate too. Although I will say no one should ever have a 15 minute highlight reel, but I'm happy with what I saw.

She looks like an underrated player from the highlights. I know it's the private school POTY, but still good and 3 straight state titles means she's a winner. I think she's a steal. Good body control, decent ball handling and a nice looking shot.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonRa777 View Post
    I loathe flopping... One of the things I love most about Coach Staleys squads, they don't flop... Both Booked and Schaefer are notorious floppers... Miss St is flop city.. I say play ball and cut the crap
    I like turnovers however we can get them. If those calls are going to be made against us, and there were a lot of charges called against USC last season, I want somebody whos willing to body up and possibly get some of those called our way.

Heres a vid of Elysa playing a few early season games as a senior.

only white girl on the team right?

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedCock View Post
    only white girl on the team right?
    You've got to start somewhere to dispel the myth.

With her thickness, she could be a bull for us under the basket. Tenaciousness is largely between the ears.

I usually stay away from the P&C when it comes to covering South Carolina, Sapakoff is the worst.. but David is alright with me.

Anyway, here's a quick snippet on Wesolek and how she ended up at SC.