Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 40

Thread: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

  1. #1
    If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    40,281

    Default 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I kind of wanted to do something different in regards to a season W/L prediction. This may be a terrible way of doing it but it sounded good in my mind.

    I'll start with saying our floor is 4 wins. That means we beat Coastal, Marshall, Vanderbilt, & UT-Chattanooga. One could make an argue that Marshall is a huge trap game because they have a lot of good athletes especially on offense. I actually thought about making the floor 3 but we should have enough to beat those guys albeit in a really close game.

    So anyway, here is my prediction for 2018:

    4 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Missouri, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Ole Miss, @Florida, @Clemson.

    5 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Missouri, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    6 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    7 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    8 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, Texas A&M, @Florida, @Clemson

    9 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Florida, @Clemson

    10 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Clemson

    11 Wins - This means we lose @Clemson

    12 Wins - Undefeated, duh.


    So from this, I think our toughest games rank like this:

    1) @Clemson
    2) Georgia
    3) @Florida
    4) Texas A&M
    5) Tennessee
    6) @Kentucky
    7) Missouri
    8) @Ole Miss

    I'm probably over valuing Florida, A&M, Tennessee, & Kentucky. I think Ole Miss is dangerous but who knows what they are going to do defensively. Their receivers are nasty though and QB is pretty decent. I think Missouri could end up being pretty good or a trainwreck trying to play Dooley-ball. Tough call between those two. Honestly, everything below Clemson and Georgia is probably interchangeable.

    Thank goodness we avoid Alabama, Auburn, and LSU (even Mississippi State) again. That changes starting next season.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

  2. #2
    Starter BringBackGarcia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    1,327

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I guess that's one way.


    In my head, I just tier games


    1. Clemson, UGA
    2. Florida, TAMU
    3. UT, Mizzou, UK, Ole Miss ---- lots of unknowns so may move up in the rankings
    4. non-conference plus Vandy


    Then I hope for a win in tier 1, pray we at least split tier 2, accept a letdown from below.


    In that regards, I'd say if I'm just going to guess, 8-4, but in my heart I want to say 9-10 wins.

  3. #3
    Heisman Candidate sc455's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    south carolina
    Posts
    16,269

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    including the bowl, i think we will be at least 9-4 maybe 10-3...8-5 or 7-6 just looks nasty.

  4. #4
    Heisman Candidate Flameout12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Anthem, AZ
    Posts
    18,443

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Hump season for Will. I see him having a good year.

  5. #5
    Heisman Candidate donbgamecock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    15,655

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I’m predicting a season with all wins and a national championship. It’s the same prediction I make every year with these kind of treads. I’ll change my prediction once someone shows they can beat us.
    Go Cocks!

  6. #6
    Game MVP Gamecocks0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cola
    Posts
    1,829

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    I kind of wanted to do something different in regards to a season W/L prediction. This may be a terrible way of doing it but it sounded good in my mind.

    I'll start with saying our floor is 4 wins. That means we beat Coastal, Marshall, Vanderbilt, & UT-Chattanooga. One could make an argue that Marshall is a huge trap game because they have a lot of good athletes especially on offense. I actually thought about making the floor 3 but we should have enough to beat those guys albeit in a really close game.

    So anyway, here is my prediction for 2018:

    4 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Missouri, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Ole Miss, @Florida, @Clemson.

    5 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Missouri, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    6 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Kentucky, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    7 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, Texas A&M, Tennessee, @Florida, @Clemson

    8 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, Texas A&M, @Florida, @Clemson

    9 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Florida, @Clemson

    10 Wins - This means we lose to Georgia, @Clemson

    11 Wins - This means we lose @Clemson

    12 Wins - Undefeated, duh.


    So from this, I think our toughest games rank like this:

    1) @Clemson
    2) Georgia
    3) @Florida
    4) Texas A&M
    5) Tennessee
    6) @Kentucky
    7) Missouri
    8) @Ole Miss

    I'm probably over valuing Florida, A&M, Tennessee, & Kentucky. I think Ole Miss is dangerous but who knows what they are going to do defensively. Their receivers are nasty though and QB is pretty decent. I think Missouri could end up being pretty good or a trainwreck trying to play Dooley-ball. Tough call between those two. Honestly, everything below Clemson and Georgia is probably interchangeable.

    Thank goodness we avoid Alabama, Auburn, and LSU (even Mississippi State) again. That changes starting next season.
    Texas A&M, Florida and Ole Miss are the swing games. Need to go 2-1 vs them to have a stellar season.

    Of those, A&M is the most likely win. I'll say the losses are Georgia, Clemson then split Ole Miss and Florida. Could easily lose both of them, but I think we pull it out in one of those.

    So 9-3 or 8-4. Another solid season with a quality bowl game.
    University of South Carolina '19

  7. #7
    Two Deep treyno2722's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Cape Coral, Florida
    Posts
    1,109

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I'm going to say 7-5. Carolina won most of the close games that they had last year. I don't see them having that luck this year. I see losses to Georgia, at Clemson, at Ole Miss, at Florida and either at Kentucky or at home to Texas A & M. Home games with Missouri and Tennessee won't be easy.

  8. #8
    Game MVP Gamecocks0197's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Cola
    Posts
    1,829

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Quote Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
    I'm going to say 7-5. Carolina won most of the close games that they had last year. I don't see them having that luck this year. I see losses to Georgia, at Clemson, at Ole Miss, at Florida and either at Kentucky or at home to Texas A & M. Home games with Missouri and Tennessee won't be easy.
    I think that's more of skill and experience than luck. Good players know how to win close games.

    Not saying we couldn't go 7-5, but I don't see it being very likely.
    University of South Carolina '19

  9. #9
    World Traveler Absfract's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    986

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    The run game... on both sides of the ball, needs to significantly improve. If that doesn't improve, 7-5. I also don't see any surprises on the roster that would make anyone believe its going to improve, so I can understand the prediction.

    We'll know soon enough...

  10. #10
    Game MVP xXSirSpurXx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Columbia
    Posts
    1,515

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Key stat (not sure if I am reposting from here or Twitter) but since Muschamp arrived, when we score 20 or more pts. per game, we are 12-1. Getting the run game to improve alongside keeping Bentley and Samuel healthy are key to making sure we can do this against teams like UGA, Clemson and Florida.





    Potential to win up to 10-11 games and possibility to lose 4-5 games. I like being cautiously optimistic and say we win 8 and win the bowl game we get. Hoping I am being somewhat negative.

  11. #11
    Heisman Candidate LegalCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    16,573

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Yeah, you know now that you mention UF, Mullen might be able to do something with that athletic QB UF played some last season. Who knows, but I think on paper we could be pretty damned good.

  12. #12
    4-Star DrDarkMatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Beaufort
    Posts
    282

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I think we probably win 9-10. I agree with absfract, the run game is going to be the difference. We've got a really good team with some experience now. I'm counting on us having a big year. I'm not sure we can get by Georgia and Clemson, but I think we can probably take out A&M this year. I swear if we loose to Kentucky again I'm gonna loose my mind.

  13. #13
    Starter AndersonCock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Anderson SC
    Posts
    1,269

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Yeah Iím gonna be pessimistic and say 6-6 we donít have a lot of depth on the lines, we have a young secondary and I donít believe in Bryan McClendon because we only won the Outback bowl because the defense forced 5 turnovers. I donít believe Deebo can stay healthy either. I think Boom is the right man for the job but I donít believe weíll be any good this year.

  14. #14
    Two Deep gamecockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Quote Originally Posted by treyno2722 View Post
    I'm going to say 7-5. Carolina won most of the close games that they had last year. I don't see them having that luck this year. I see losses to Georgia, at Clemson, at Ole Miss, at Florida and either at Kentucky or at home to Texas A & M. Home games with Missouri and Tennessee won't be easy.
    B.S.!!!! 10-2 AT WORST OR BUST. LETS GO!!!!

  15. #15
    Two Deep gamecockfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL
    Posts
    1,199

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Quote Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
    Yeah Iím gonna be pessimistic and say 6-6 we donít have a lot of depth on the lines, we have a young secondary and I donít believe in Bryan McClendon because we only won the Outback bowl because the defense forced 5 turnovers. I donít believe Deebo can stay healthy either. I think Boom is the right man for the job but I donít believe weíll be any good this year.
    Is this just you trying to be pessimistic or is this your 100% honest opinion of what you believe is going to happen this season? You don't go from 3-9, to 6-7, to 9-4 (three win increase per season), and then go backwards. We have nowhere but up to go.

    Let's math y'all. What comes next...?

    3, 6, 9,12

    That is my prediction. 12-0. This is the season we finally get there and make our claim that the cocks are for real and we are here to stay!

  16. #16
    Recruit OnTheRight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Kingsland, GA
    Posts
    204

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I would say in order of difficulty would be more like this:

    @Clemson - still an elite. Plateauing maybe.
    UGA - still an elite trending up!
    @Kentucky - trending up. Staff continuity goes a long way.
    Texas A&M - inexperienced team, but still tough.
    Missouri - experienced team, looked great on offense at times.
    @Florida - not convinced they are heading the right direction.
    @Ole Miss - team is in flux, but talent is still there.
    Tennessee - Pruitt will do well here, but it’s going to take a couple years. It won’t be instant success.
    ...never lose a fight!

  17. #17
    ISLAND COCK rt3891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head, SC
    Posts
    1,824

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    As much as I hate to say it, Clemson is the toughest game as of right now on our schedule. Georgia probably 2nd toughest. I honestly think both are beatable though. Not many would give us a shot at Clemson right now, but there is a lot that can happen between now and Thanksgiving for both teams. Georgia is more beatable because itís early and at home. The rest are more beatable. A Georgia upset could really set the tone for some early strong momentum. 10 wins is very reachable, as long as the injury bug doesnít hit us too hard.

  18. #18
    Blue Chip wildwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    699

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    My Predictions:

    11-1 Regular season with only loss to Georgia!
    Georgia only loses 1 conference game so we are shut out of the SEC championship game.
    We do not get the Alabama exception to make playoffs with no SEC championship.
    We win Sugar Bowl to get to 12 wins!
    Plus 3 win improvement for 3rd year in a row!!!
    Trend indicates 15-0 for 2019 to become 1st ever 15 win team in CFB.

    Last edited by wildwes; 09-09-2018 at 01:51 AM.

  19. #19
    Blue Chip BiscoCocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Denver,Co
    Posts
    858

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    I have no idea where all this ole miss love is coming from. They were Mizzou West last year. Put up amazing numbers against garbage teams. They lost to Cal and Ark. Yes they beat miss state.................after Fitzgerald got hurt. Not taken them lightly just they are not as formidable as some seem to think especially when u take into account most their numbers came against ULL/UT-martin/South Alamama/Vandy. Real murderers row. In all honesty UK is measuring stick. If we can't be a team that has owned us for 4 years now, that we now for certain have more talent then it's a bad sign. 10-2, lose a bs game to UGA (similar to 2008 game), clemmy gets home cooking and beats us in nail bitter in taterville. Mullen has to rebuild an entire offense with zero players on his roster that fit his system, people will argue that it's not but that's a big rebuild. A&M has new coach new system...............sooner or later we have to win one i think this is the year. Mizzo would be tough game....................if we where a D2 school, Lock might be the first pick but Champ knows defend him (Jam williams has his number). UT may not have enough bodies on their team to field a team by the time they limb into willy b (look at their schedule it's not a pretty, maybe toughest stretch in all of CFB).

  20. #20
    ISLAND COCK rt3891's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hilton Head, SC
    Posts
    1,824

    Default Re: 2018 W/L Prediction - with a twist

    Quote Originally Posted by wildwes View Post
    My Predictions:

    11-1 Regular season with only loss to Georgia!
    Georgia only loses 1 conference game so we are shut out of the champ game.
    We do not get the Alabama exception to make playoffs with no SEC champ.
    We win Sugar Bowl to get to 12 wins!
    Plus 3 win improvement for 3rd year in a row!!!
    Trend indicates 15-0 for 2019 to become 1st ever 15 win team in CFB.

    Iíll take it! Hate Georgia and losing to em, but hate Clemsux more and would rather beat them if I had the choice!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •