Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Surprised no one is talking about the Jermaine Couisnard situation

Default Re: Surprised no one is talking about the Jermaine Couisnard situation

Quote Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
    I hope the Chicken Littles are satisfied.
    They'll just find another sky to worry about....

Quick, everybody panic! Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where George ran over kids on the way out of an apartment after someone yelled fire. Bunch of dam Costanzas here.

1st Team All-American sporkgod50's Avatar

Don't understand why, but c2 is very quick to dog on Frank. Must be something causing it.
    what would a mama buffalo call her son who finds both sexes attractive?

a bison.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sporkgod50 View Post
    Don't understand why, but c2 is very quick to dog on Frank. Must be something causing it.
    I dog his recruiting because it is barely borderline mediocre. I have no problem with anything else that he does.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    I dog his recruiting because it is barely borderline mediocre. I have no problem with anything else that he does.
    True. This program has the tradition and history that should allow a coach to choose which 5 star players he wants to coach. It is a shame what Frank's recruiting has done to this once proud program.

Quote Originally Posted by Sides View Post
    True. This program has the tradition and history that should allow a coach to choose which 5 star players he wants to coach. It is a shame what Frank's recruiting has done to this once proud program.
    Before you start putting words into my mouth, I've never said I expected Frank to reel in 5 star players regularly. However I do expect us to recruit on a level compared to programs like Auburn, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, LSU, Alabama, etc who typically don't have strong programs year to year OR have programs that are overshadowed by their football programs. Interpreting that recruiting better means 5 stars is so illogical.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Before you start putting words into my mouth, I've never said I expected Frank to reel in 5 star players regularly. However I do expect us to recruit on a level compared to programs like Auburn, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, LSU, Alabama, etc who typically don't have strong programs year to year OR have programs that are overshadowed by their football programs. Interpreting that recruiting better means 5 stars is so illogical.
    I would say our record versus those 5 teams over the last 3 years shows that he is recruiting on that level. I hate to say this, but every program you listed is historically better than SC...especially if you take away Frank's tournament run. You are not going to find a better coach right now at SC so let him evaluate, recruit, and develop his players without constant criticism. He has proven that he can recruit and develop NBA talent, SC basketball has not.

Buckle up, BOOM Comin' SCohioBoy's Avatar

The biggest issue is the turnover. When his recruiting producing more misses than hits, its an issue. Not counting transfers in or PJ leaving, 18 of 32 players have transferred our or have been dismissed that Martin had recruited.
    "We played the State Championship in a place called Death Valley," he said. "I looked up in the fourth quarter and the only ones still alive were the Gamecocks."--SOS

Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    The biggest issue is the turnover. When his recruiting producing more misses than hits, its an issue. Not counting transfers in or PJ leaving, 18 of 32 players have transferred our or have been dismissed that Martin had recruited.
    Some of that might be explained by Frank taking chances on guys he thinks are talented enough. And some of it might be explained by misevaluations. And some of it might be explained that some players either don't like what Frank asks them to do, or they think they will get more playing time elsewhere. I agree that we have a lot of turnover, but the reasons vary.

I don't want/expect him to recruit like Bruce Pearl. That's a future case waiting to drop, no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Sides View Post
    I would say our record versus those 5 teams over the last 3 years shows that he is recruiting on that level. I hate to say this, but every program you listed is historically better than SC...especially if you take away Frank's tournament run. You are not going to find a better coach right now at SC so let him evaluate, recruit, and develop his players without constant criticism. He has proven that he can recruit and develop NBA talent, SC basketball has not.
    Everybody is better than us historically. I went back over the schedules for the past 4 seasons to see if we are competing equally with the 5 mentioned teams. Three seasons is not enough and includes 2 of Frank's best seasons at SC. Four seasons is a fair sample.

What I found was that we have competed with 3 of the 5 teams. In fact, we won more than we lost against UGA, Auburn and Miss. State. We lost more to Vandy and Alabama.

I'm not sure what conclusions can be drawn from this except to say we are equal to the first three and inferior to the other two over the past 4 seasons.

Alabama and Vandy have ranked recruiting classes coming in next season and recruited well for this season. Auburn (with Bruce Pearle) is also distancing itself from SC. I'm not certain about Miss State. UGA is probably the only school of the 5 we can say we are on equal footing with right now.

I went back over these numbers several times, and I think they are correct. However, doing this on a small screen can lead to errors.

2014-2015:
    Overall SEC Record: 6-12

Georgia: 2-1 (including SECT)
    Auburn: 0-1
    Alabama: 1-1
    Miss State: 1-0
    Vandy: 0-1

2015-2016:
    Overall SEC Record: 11-7

Georgia: 0-3 (including SECT)
    Auburn: 1-0
    Alabama: 1-1
    Miss State: 1-1
    Vandy: 1-0

2016-2017:
    Overall SEC Record: 11-7

Georgia: 2-0
    Auburn: 1-0
    Alabama: 0-2 (including SECT)
    Miss State: 2-0

2017-2018:
    Overall SEC Record: 7-11

Georgia: 2-0
    Auburn: 1-1
    Alabama: 0-1
    Miss State: 0-2

Cumulative totals:

35-37 in SEC play

VS. UGA 6-4
    VS. Auburn 4-2
    VS. Miss State 4-3
    VS. Alabama 2-5
    VS. Vandy 1-3

Quote Originally Posted by SCohioBoy View Post
    You and a few others complain but I have asked the question and no one has answered it so it is your turn. College BB has lots of transfers. The players who stick with Frank do well but just name the ones who left the program and did well at other schools? Frank has done a great job in taking an awful program to a good program and the future also looks bright but you and a few others are blind to this FACT. OK, please answer my question. As for me I will take the players on our roster over the ones who have left.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    You and a few others complain but I have asked the question and no one has answered it so it is your turn. College BB has lots of transfers. The players who stick with Frank do well but just name the ones who left the program and did well at other schools? Frank has done a great job in taking an awful program to a good program and the future also looks bright but you and a few others are blind to this FACT. OK, please answer my question. As for me I will take the players on our roster over the ones who have left.
    Youíre not addressing the real problem. Recruiting those kids that arenít good enough to begin with. That is THE PROBLEM with all of this.

Youíre not addressing the real problem. Recruiting those kids that arenít good enough to begin with. That is THE PROBLEM with all of this.
    Sometimes it isn't easy to know if you are recruiting a player who isn't good enough. You have to see how recruits adjust to the coaches, to college, and to college basketball. Many high school players, in all sports, have washed out in college. For various reasons. The players who play a lot of minutes for Frank don't usually transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    Sometimes it isn't easy to know if you are recruiting a player who isn't good enough. You have to see how recruits adjust to the coaches, to college, and to college basketball. Many high school players, in all sports, have washed out in college. For various reasons. The players who play a lot of minutes for Frank don't usually transfer.
    The players who have transferred out did so not because they washed out of college, but because of disciplinary reasons or because they lacked basketball skill.

I have definitely addressed what you call the real problem. The kids who stick with Frank have done well. What do you not understand about this? Frank does a fantastic job with developing players who stay here.

With over 40% of BB players nationwide transferring it seems most other schools also have what you call THE PROBLEM.

A coach is hired to win games bottom line. Have you not seen the results of Frank taking an awful program and giving us a good program? Frank has tied the school record in wins for a season and then broke that record. He has taken us to our first Final Four but you and a few others continue to bash him.

Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    I have definitely addressed what you call the real problem. The kids who stick with Frank have done well. What do you not understand about this? Frank does a fantastic job with developing players who stay here.

With over 40% of BB players nationwide transferring it seems most other schools also have what you call THE PROBLEM.

A coach is hired to win games bottom line. Have you not seen the results of Frank taking an awful program and giving us a good program? Frank has tied the school record in wins for a season and then broke that record. He has taken us to our first Final Four but you and a few others continue to bash him.
    Retaining players is definitely a real problem as of late. I get other schools have players transfer too, but losing about 50% of your team the past few season's isn't exactly the norm. I genieuly like Frank Martin and what he's done here (for the most part) but it doesn't mean he shouldn't be criticized for obvious red flags of our program. This past season alone we lost 7 players and of those players only Gueye had played more than one season with us which is horrible considering that we didn't lose any of those guys to the NBA. Which in my opinion means that there is either a problem in recruiting or the morale of the team(for non-starters) or perhaps a little of both.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Now you don't have to be surprised why no one is talking about Jermaine Couisnard any more
    Last edited by Rooster'srule; 08-12-2018 at 02:51 PM.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

I found it kinda funny that C2 lists five teams that we should be competing with and we are dead even, record-wise, over the last five seasons. That sounds like we are competing.

Our classes may not be as highly ranked as, say, Alabama's, but I like our incoming players. With them and the returnees, we will still be competitive with those teams. With improved PG, we should (easily) be an NCAA tournament team.

Players transfer all the time now. We should be concerned if: 1. The players we are losing are really good and are some of our best (they aren't). 2. We are not replacing them with better recruits (we are). 3. We are not getting any talented transfers coming to our team that can help (we are).

Trust Frank. He is getting enough talent to keep us competing and improving.
    Last edited by Ace Dilcock; 08-12-2018 at 02:38 PM.

Cousinard is going to be a Gamecock in a few weeks?