Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USC vs Coastal: Odds CCU ever becomes true 3rd SC rivalry team?

Default USC vs Coastal: Odds CCU ever becomes true 3rd SC rivalry team?

Related to first game vs Coastal: CCU is now officially FBS (I still prefer 1-A vs 1-AA but whatever). What are the odds Coastal ever becomes a true 3rd power team in SC along with USC and Clemson? They’re in the Sun Belt with Appalachian State and Id argue App State has become a legit FBS team within their state comparable to UNC and NCSU, for sure.

Will Coastal EVER come close to being good enough to make the Palmetto State bragging rights a true 3 way competition???

They have the appeal of being near Myrtle Beach which is very easy to sell to 18 year old kids. But very little history outside of their highly successful years in FCS/1-AA. Stadium is sub par by FBS standard but so is App States and they’re doing well anyway.

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Default Re: USC vs Coastal: Odds CCU ever becomes true 3rd SC rivalry team?

No

No Way... Furman would have a better CHANCE.... Unfortunately... maybe even Citadel

Well if the start a big fight and do some other unsportsmanlike actions, they might become an instant rival. But very unlikely.

Possibly in 20-30 years there is already tons of students at coastal from all over and its increasing extremely rapidly as the yankee mass exodus continues to our once quaint grand strand however they will have to move their stadium. I ride by it pretty regularly and it looks as if they are expanding it as we speak however it is right on highway 544 and this construction they are doing right now I have no clue how they will make it fit as far as I know they can't build stands over a highway correct? When I've been up north there is buildings over the road maybe they can do a stand over the road but highway 544 is the main road into surfside beach and I don't see the little local college having the sway to have the highway moved. It takes the dot 15 years to get a few overpasses opened down here lol.

But we and the ugly urange folks are safe from the mighty chanticleers football powerhouse for quite a while. But we are giving them online bulletin board material to come out and aim for the kneecaps like the volunteers do against us.
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

I think they could. However, it would be more important for them than us for sure. I would compare it to say ECU and NC State. ECU is a pretty big University, but in terms of importance it would be very similar.

CCU is growing rapidly, but it will take some more time for them to get settled into the big league. I could see them in the American Conference at some point though. They would probably never make it in to any of the major conferences.

That's a great question. I have a close friend that works in Coastal's athletics department and she tells me they are pushing hard to become a power within the state. They currently don't get a ton of respect but they are actively trying to change that.

Not anytime soon. FCS to FBS is a tough transition. And even when they do get settled and get something going in the Sun Belt, there will always be a talent gap.
    University of South Carolina '19

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

I don't see it anytime soon. And up in NC, ECU is way closer to NCST and UNC than App State.

Not anytime soon but they've risen to FBS so they'd be a candidate if they can continue to better their program. They certainly have a better chance than any other team in the state.

Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4 Gaichon's Avatar

About as likely as GaSouthern, S. Alabama, and Southern Miss doing the same in their states with one of their two bigger FBS schools. Not happening.
    "A nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its laws made by cowards and its wars fought by fools." - Thucydides

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

No, because they will never be in a P5 conference; they will always be the fake roosters.

----------------------------------------------

I think something like FAU is their ceiling, not even a South Florida or Central Florida.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonioCock View Post
    I think something like FAU is their ceiling, not even a South Florida or Central Florida.
    Depending on how things go at FAU that ceiling may get raised up quite a bit. Lane Kiffin may be a gigantic asshat but he's raising that school's profile and if he stays a bit longer they could string together some conference titles and maybe be that non Power 5 team playing on NYD.

I'd rather have coastal or ecu in the sec than missouri

I bet they give us a scare with all the offensive changes. You know they will be coming in like this is the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Order 66 View Post
    I bet they give us a scare with all the offensive changes. You know they will be coming in like this is the Super Bowl.
    I'll be interested to see how it plays out. I get what you're saying about the offensive changes but this style of offense could also increase the level of blowout that it is. If our defense can get some stops early I think we run away with the game, if they can't it could be a contest in the 2nd half.

Coastal is interesting. They won't rival us or Clemson in football for a very, very long time. If ever...maybe. But they proved their chops to some extent by winning the CWS in 2016. There was a time when we would have scoffed at them in baseball as well.

That campus is stunning and the location is unbeatable, just 20 minutes from the beach. The football is stadium is small, but very attractive.

CCU is absolutely laser-focused on growth and are seemingly doing everything right. If you told someone 20 years ago that we'd be playing CCU for our home opener in football in 20 years, they'd have laughed in your face...b/c CCU didn't even field a football team until 2003. Now they're in FBS. They aren't screwing around.

If I were in USC's AD, I wouldn't be worried about them as a rival......but I'd be keeping an eye on them.
    Last edited by Lancelot; 08-10-2018 at 07:59 AM.

1st Team All-American Cockhornleghorn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by evilpoptart View Post
    I'd rather have coastal or ecu in the sec than missouri
    The SEC isn't going to add small potatoes schools like that. Mizzou adds 2 large TV markets; they're only leaving if by their own accord.