Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Women's Soccer 2018 Season***

Just go for the ball JerseyBird's Avatar

Default ***Women's Soccer 2018 Season***

Thanks to Furmancock for pushing me to start the new season thread. We opened last weekend with 2 wins at home, 1-0 over Fordham and 2-0 over College of Charleston.

Tomorrow night is the big Palmetto Series matchup hosting Clemson, which will be shown on the SEC Network at 7:00
    Beat, um, somebody!

Default Re: ***Women's Soccer 2018 Season***

One thing quite impressive is that we opened the season ranked #5, which I'm surprised at given the graduation of McCaskill. The SEC Coaches' Poll put us only 4th in conference, which sounds a little more realistic. But we'll see what happens as the season progresses
    Beat, um, somebody!

Unfortunately we will be without our top defensive player Grace Fisk . Grace has one more game with the England U20 team . Maybe our top returning offensive player , Elexa Bahr , has been injured . Last I heard Bahr was about ready to play , but I don't know what kind of shape she is in . Also Ryan Gareis , who played a lot as a freshman has been injured . Win anyway , I guess .

“Reykjavik, Iceland – Freshman Selma Sol Magnusdottir has been named as one of the 23 players for the Iceland women's soccer nation team, announced by the Football Association of Iceland yesterday. Iceland will play a pair of games at the start of September against Germany and the Czech Republic as a part of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification.

Magnusdottir will leave to join the Iceland national team on Saturday August 25. Iceland will play against Germany on September 1st and then against the Czech Republic on September 4th. With the dates of those games Magnusdottir will miss games against NC State (Aug. 26), William & Mary (Aug. 30) and Purdue (Sept. 2).”
    https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...fications.aspx

South Carolina vs. Clemson tonight at 7pm at Stone Stadium! It will be aired on SEC Network!!! GO COCKS!

0-0 at the half. C'mon Ladies.

ESPN is showing SC as #10 ranked, so definitely a difference of opinion.
    Bison

1-0 SC as Lauren Chang nets a ball from a beautiful cross from Magnusdottir at the 48 minute mark.
    Bison

Looking really choppy right now with lots of bad passes and long balls. Would like some more possession now that we have the lead.

Quote Originally Posted by JDuro View Post
    “Reykjavik, Iceland – Freshman Selma Sol Magnusdottir has been named as one of the 23 players for the Iceland women's soccer nation team, announced by the Football Association of Iceland yesterday. Iceland will play a pair of games at the start of September against Germany and the Czech Republic as a part of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup qualification.

Magnusdottir will leave to join the Iceland national team on Saturday August 25. Iceland will play against Germany on September 1st and then against the Czech Republic on September 4th. With the dates of those games Magnusdottir will miss games against NC State (Aug. 26), William & Mary (Aug. 30) and Purdue (Sept. 2).”
    https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...fications.aspx
    Give the Smith's credit for their international recruiting. I think it's pretty cool that we have a couple of international players that are good enough to play for their national teams.
    Bison

Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    Give the Smith's credit for their international recruiting. I think it's pretty cool that we have a couple of international players that are good enough to play for their national teams.
    She looks like the real deal tonight.

Yeah Fisk was probably the best player after McCaskill last year and Magnusdottir is looking great so far this year. Definitely look to be in good shape once all the international play is done
    Beat, um, somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
    One thing quite impressive is that we opened the season ranked #5, which I'm surprised at given the graduation of McCaskill. The SEC Coaches' Poll put us only 4th in conference, which sounds a little more realistic. But we'll see what happens as the season progresses
    Way to early to tell, but I'm thinking Selma Sol Magnusdottir may be the heir apparent to McCaskill. She seems to play with a fair amount of "take no shit" attitude, and has laid some lumber on a couple of Tigers with strong shoulder tackles.
    Bison

Looking a lot better right now, but would like that insurance goal.

SC looking really good right up to the point of delivery. If we can improve on those passes on the run, we might be really good.
    Bison

Interesting bit of information from the televised commentary. Apparently Coach Smith has 30 players on the team's roster. I believe the NCAA limits teams to only 14 scholarships, which would mean that over half the team are walk-ons.

Off hand, that seems like an awfully small number of scholarship players...only 3 "spares" over the minimum number to field a team. I would think 20 or 22 would be a more reasonable number, considering football has roughly a 4:1 scholarship ratio to number of offensive and defensive players needed (8:1 if you consider the football team can only field 11 players at a time).
    Bison

Do you think the baseball team has 70% of a person on the roster too?

Awesome to have more than 6000 people there tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by FurmanCock View Post
    Way to early to tell, but I'm thinking Selma Sol Magnusdottir may be the heir apparent to McCaskill. She seems to play with a fair amount of "take no shit" attitude, and has laid some lumber on a couple of Tigers with strong shoulder tackles.

Agreed - she's looking really strong so far

BTW 1-0 final
    Beat, um, somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by uscsabres View Post
    Do you think the baseball team has 70% of a person on the roster too?
    I'm not sure what 70% of a person means. College baseball is limited to 11.7 scholarships, and are frequently divided out in partial scholarships...and no I don't think 11.7 scholarships are enough for baseball either. Nor is it fair that schools like Vanderbilt and Virginia have huge endowments that allow them to supplement their 11.7 scholarships with financial aid/academic scholarships to virtually cover all of their roster. That's a huge part how both Vandy and VA have become national powers over the last ten years.

But like it or not, men's scholarships are always going to be limited by Title IX because of the large number allocated for football.
    Bison

high midi-chlorian count kick_ball's Avatar

Most sports outside of football and the basketballs have limited scholarship allotments and often spread them out among many athletes on the roster