Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Volleyball 2018 Season***

Just go for the ball JerseyBird's Avatar

Default Re: ***Volleyball 2018 Season***

Figured as much, but still a win is better than a loss under any circumstances
    Beat, um, somebody!

USC sweeps Colgate Sunday to move the season record to 9-1 .

I'm very pleased with this team so far. We have plenty of offensive weapons, not even counting Ezell's serve. She has over twice as many aces as the no.2 server in the SEC. When she's "in the zone," her serve is a game changer.

Hopefully we can build on that performance this weekend. We'll have to play UVA and VCU in Virginia, on the same day. Both teams are better than their records indicate.
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/banner%20big%20lebowski.jpg

Volleyball's three match tournament at VCU has been cancelled .

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...cancelled.aspx

USC wins their first SEC match of the season , vs Mississippi State here in Columbia . Score was 3-0 , and set scores were 25-17, 25-22 & 25-18 . USC ran a well-balanced offense , with 13 kills from Mikayla Shields , 10 kills from Brittany McLean and 9 kills from Mikayla Robinson . LSU comes to town Sunday for a match at 1:30 pm .

We go 2-0 to start SEC play for the first time since 2008 with a 3-0 win over LSU

Also 11-1 overall
    Beat, um, somebody!

USC goes to 3-0 in the SEC with a 3 set sweep of Alabama on the road . Scores were 26-24 , 28-26 & 25-19 . The gamecocks now head to Georgia for a match at 2pm Sunday .

I love the new coach's attitude. He doesn't want the team to get too high or too low. So I'm not going to get too carried away. But, dang, that was a good performance. This team is getting better as the season progresses.
    http://cdn.theatlantic.com/static/mt/assets/culture_test/banner%20big%20lebowski.jpg

I watched the replay after I got home from women's soccer and it was pretty impressive . I was expecting maybe a five set match , but our blocking seemed to make the difference when the sets were close . Great team effort .

Wasn't able to watch it but I followed Alabama's version of Gamecast on the phone from when it was 12-6 in the third set and was impressed that when they pulled to within 21-19, we then scored the last 4 points to take the match. Allowing a full comeback there could have easily shifted momentum to the point of losing the whole match. Was surprised that Alabama didn't call timeout at all during our final run.
    Beat, um, somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post
    Wasn't able to watch it but I followed Alabama's version of Gamecast on the phone from when it was 12-6 in the third set and was impressed that when they pulled to within 21-19, we then scored the last 4 points to take the match. Allowing a full comeback there could have easily shifted momentum to the point of losing the whole match. Was surprised that Alabama didn't call timeout at all during our final run.
    A team only gets two timeouts per set and Bama used 2 during our 9-0 run to start the set.

I'm kind of glad they came back and made it competitive in the 3rd set. So much of volleyball success is predicated on how well do you handle adversity. We gutted it out there at the end.\

QUOTABLE: TOM MENDOZA
    "I'm really proud of the way the team battled each set on the road against a strong Alabama team. There were times each set that Alabama was taking the momentum and our players stayed composed and responded as a team, which is great to see. We need to be cleaner offensively, but our attackers showed great resilience especially late in the sets. The SEC is so strong right now, so we're excited for the road win and we'll turn our focus to another very strong team in Georgia."

USC came from 2-0 down to beat Georgia 3-2 . USC won the final set 15-13 .

Beat, um, somebody!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBird View Post

I'll go you three better, one for each conference win so far:

!!!

One of the best comebacks I've seen by a Gamecock team, in any sport. This team plays with great effort, and today that effort was rewarded.

Mikayla Robinson named SEC defensive player of the week .

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...he-season.aspx

USC suffers their first conference loss , 3-0 at Missouri . Scores were 25-22 , 25-11 & 30-28 .

South Carolina rebounded from its first loss of the SEC season with a 3-1 win over Texas A&M (10-7, 3-2 SEC). The Gamecocks were able to execute a clean match and took advantage of Aggie errors to move to 14-2 overall for the season and 5-1 in SEC play. We're also 7-0 at home.

The win was just the second ever in the all-time series (12 meetings dating back to 1993). The Gamecocks had been swept in each of the previous three meetings, and had not defeated A&M since 2013.
    The Gamecocks are now 6-1 for the season against teams currently ranked in the RPI top-100. Nice weekend all around for Gamecock sports!

https://gamecocksonline.com/news/201...-showdown.aspx

I thought this was the best match we played this season . Texas A&M took Florida down to the wire in Gainesville Friday night , losing in set five 15-13 . They are a very aggressive serving team and we handled their serves about as well as could be expected . When they couldn't force us into many errors with their serving they began to press and make some errors of their own . I'm starting to think we might actually have a shot vs Florida on the 12th , but we haven't whipped Florida since back when assistant coach Shonda Cole was playing .

Quote Originally Posted by scfastpitch View Post
    I thought this was the best match we played this season . Texas A&M took Florida down to the wire in Gainesville Friday night , losing in set five 15-13 . They are a very aggressive serving team and we handled their serves about as well as could be expected . When they couldn't force us into many errors with their serving they began to press and make some errors of their own . I'm starting to think we might actually have a shot vs Florida on the 12th , but we haven't whipped Florida since back when assistant coach Shonda Cole was playing .
    You're right -- that may have been the best match we played all season. The 4th set was definitely the best set we've played. Coach has been saying that if we stay balanced, we'll play better late in games and late in the season.

A&M had one player with around 80 attacks over the weekend and she simply wore out. In contrast, our players looked fresh. I really believe in this team as the match goes longer.

As far as Florida, what I like about the new approach of "never get too high, never get too low" is that it doesn't matter what happens against the Gators. We're 14-2 and in position to make the tournament. Win or lose, we play Georgia Sunday. There won't be a let down.