Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: It seems many of you overestimated the Gamecocks after one game

Default Re: It seems many of you overestimated the Gamecocks after one game

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    And if anyone here thinks it's going to get better for us, short term, when UGA is pulling in Top 5 classes, and Clemson pulling in top 10 classes when we're recruiting in the mid to high teens, you're fooling yourself. Unless there is a monumental shift in the local recruiting landscape, that is not going to change in the near future. We are going to be playing catch up to those two programs.

Again, this is just a dose of reality for everyone this afternoon.
    I will just never agree with you on this. It's lazy to think we can't be successful while other programs are successful locally. We are already beating UGA and Clemson for kids that they want. Not in large numbers, but it's happening. Just because UGA and Clemson are winning doesn't mean we can't win.

Somehow, Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia are all in the Top 7. Geographically, they all compete with each other for recruits. It's just lazy to think we can't. Auburn wasn't anything special until Cam Newton. Bama wasn't anything special until Saban. Georgia wasn't anything special until Kirby, and Clemson wasn't anything special until Watson. I'll give you the fact that 3 of these teams are traditional powers, but the point is, anybody can compete. Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
    I will just never agree with you on this. It's lazy to think we can't be successful while other programs are successful locally. We are already beating UGA and Clemson for kids that they want. Not in large numbers, but it's happening. Just because UGA and Clemson are winning doesn't mean we can't win.
    Last year, we had the 18th best class on 24/7 and rivals. UGA was #1,#1, Clemson was #7/#8.

Right now, we have the 16th best class right now on 24/7 and rivals. UGA is #1,#1, Clemson is #5/#8.

Simply looking at the numbers, if we try to go head up with those two teams, how are we going to surpass them? Simple answer is, we won't. They will continue to put better talent on the field for the foreseeable future (3-4 years) If we try to play their game, we're going to have similar results to last Saturday.

So the solution is to play a different game then they are. I never said we couldn't compete with, or beat them. I said it was going to be a longer process for us. And we're going to have to play differently. We're going to have to play smarter. Our coaches and players are going to have to work harder. We are going to have to play mistake free football vs them. I trust our coaches to do this.

And one more thing, if anything will be the downfall of these teams, it will be their arrogance. Regardless of what Alabama fans say, Saban won't be there forever. I personally think he wants to surpass the Bear's record then he's going to seriously think about calling it quits. When he does, there will be a seismic shift in the college football landscape. Will Kirby or Dabo be considered for the Alabama job? How will that effect recruiting? Those are the type of opportunities that a team like ours has to take advantage of.

Ten years ago this season Clemson hired Dabo. And give Clemson credit, they stuck with him. We all need to give Coach Muschamp time to let the process work. I honestly think he's the perfect coach for this team. I think he understands the landscape here, and nobody works harder than he does. As bad as last week stung, we have to realize the level of competition we were up against.

This is not a sunshine pumping post. This is a dose of reality.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Last year, we had the 18th best class on 24/7 and rivals. UGA was #1,#1, Clemson was #7/#8.

Right now, we have the 16th best class right now on 24/7 and rivals. UGA is #1,#1, Clemson is #5/#8.

Simply looking at the numbers, if we try to go head up with those two teams, how are we going to surpass them? Simple answer is, we won't. They will continue to put better talent on the field for the foreseeable future (3-4 years) If we try to play their game, we're going to have similar results to last Saturday.
    I hear you, but we're two years removed from being a 3-9 team. Clemson is 2 years removed from back-to-back national title appearances (winning one). They're supposed to have those recruiting classes. If we give Muschamp the time and resources he needs here, I think we can consistently grab a top-10 recruiting class. To be at 16 right now after 4 years of not even being ranked in an AP poll is pretty damn impressive. We can do much better, and I'm confident we will.

Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.
    I disagree they should not be ranked ahead of UGA at present not based off of the past 2 seasons if that is the basis for early season polls
    Gamecock born, Gamecock bred
    When I die I'll be Gamecock dead...
    Currently raising more Gamecocks to carry the torch!

I hear you, but we're two years removed from being a 3-9 team. Clemson is 2 years removed from back-to-back national title appearances (winning one). They're supposed to have those recruiting classes. If we give Muschamp the time and resources he needs here, I think we can consistently grab a top-10 recruiting class. To be at 16 right now after 4 years of not even being ranked in an AP poll is pretty damn impressive. We can do much better, and I'm confident we will.
    I concur.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Quote Originally Posted by CockyLifer View Post
    I disagree they should not be ranked ahead of UGA at present not based off of the past 2 seasons if that is the basis for early season polls
    I mean, I agree, but being 2nd or 3rd makes no difference as far as the playoff is concerned.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Somehow, Auburn, Alabama, Clemson, and Georgia are all in the Top 7. Geographically, they all compete with each other for recruits. It's just lazy to think we can't. Auburn wasn't anything special until Cam Newton. Bama wasn't anything special until Saban. Georgia wasn't anything special until Kirby, and Clemson wasn't anything special until Watson. I'll give you the fact that 3 of these teams are traditional powers, but the point is, anybody can compete. Clemson had no advantage over us 5 years ago. None. Today, they're the #2 team in the country. It's not a fluke.

ON TARGET!!! Fire For Effect!!!

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot View Post
    There are definite areas for concern, but we won't face another team that can manhandle us like UGA did until we face Clemson. At least we hope.
    Texas A&M looks like a strong possibility

IMO, there are no guaranteed wins and people saying this is a definite win make me cringe.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
    Texas A&M looks like a strong possibility
    Hard to say about A&M. They certainly looked very good against Clemson, who is a legit title contender, but I think they were definitely up for that game. Interested to see how they play against a normal opponent.

Clemson did have an advantage over us 5 years ago. We just didn't know it. While Spurrier and Co. were coasting on previous recruiting classes, Dabo and Co. were absolutely tearing it up on the trail. You are right in that its not a fluke. Dabo just's one of the best recruiters in the country and he and his staff worked very hard it. Champ is also an excellent recruiter, he's just got a VERY steep hill to climb here to close the talent gap. For the very reasons you mentioned.

Champ is going to have to find that one recruit. The recruit who turns the tide for us. Spurrier often said Lattimore was that recruit for him.

Quote Originally Posted by beak2 View Post
    IMO, there are no guaranteed wins and people saying this is a definite win make me cringe.

These are the same people that will want to fire Champ if we do not win. Some people get way too high and way too low.

So the solution is to play a different game then they are. I never said we couldn't compete with, or beat them. I said it was going to be a longer process for us. And we're going to have to play differently. We're going to have to play smarter. Our coaches and players are going to have to work harder. We are going to have to play mistake free football vs them. I trust our coaches to do this.

And one more thing, if anything will be the downfall of these teams, it will be their arrogance. Regardless of what Alabama fans say, Saban won't be there forever. I personally think he wants to surpass the Bear's record then he's going to seriously think about calling it quits. When he does, there will be a seismic shift in the college football landscape. Will Kirby or Dabo be considered for the Alabama job? How will that effect recruiting? Those are the type of opportunities that a team like ours has to take advantage of.

Ten years ago this season Clemson hired Dabo. And give Clemson credit, they stuck with him. We all need to give Coach Muschamp time to let the process work. I honestly think he's the perfect coach for this team. I think he understands the landscape here, and nobody works harder than he does. As bad as last week stung, we have to realize the level of competition we were up against.

This is not a sunshine pumping post. This is a dose of reality.
    Why do people continue to think that Saban is in any hurry to retire? He'll coach til he's dead or his health no longer allows him. Do you think he would rather be anywhere other than coaching football?

He's similar to JoPa and the Bear. Football IS his life. There is nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
    Why do people continue to think that Saban is in any hurry to retire? He'll coach til he's dead or his health no longer allows him. Do you think he would rather be anywhere other than coaching football?

He's similar to JoPa and the Bear. Football IS his life. There is nothing else.
    I agree with that.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?

I will continue to "overestimate" forever to thee

The chicken got plucked on Saturday. I didn't think they'd win, but I was hoping it would be a closer game.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
    His program is so far behind. We didnít hire Muschamp for this BS. Heís supposed to be a good recruiter but clearly is not getting it done.
    You do realize we only won 3 games the season before he got here, and that his recruiting classes have rivaled the ones Spurrier had during the peak of his tenure, right?
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

Pompous Ass Hillbilly GregoryHouse's Avatar

This is why I say we overestimated the gamecocks after one game.

You all got so gassed up that now you are jumping out the window and off the bandwagon at the very first loss.
    I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.

I sure thought we would play a closer game with Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
    This is why I say we overestimated the gamecocks after one game.

You all got so gassed up that now you are jumping out the window and off the bandwagon at the very first loss.
    You must be new here