Thread: Trip to South America

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Default Trip to South America

The wife and I are looking into planning a trip to South America next year. Who here has been and what insight can you provide?

We are open to exploring different countries and have about 10 days total we can take for the trip.

It's hard to nail down where to go because there are so many wonderful countries to explore.... except for Venezuela at the current moment.

Default Re: Trip to South America

I spent a week in Bolivia for my brother’s wedding. I had Great time, but if I were to go back to South America, which I hope to do, I would probably like to go to Peru, Chili, and Brazil. Machu Picchu in Peru and the Patagonia region of Chili/Agentina would be high on my list of places to visit. Have fun!
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
    Bill Shankly, YNWA!

My wife is from Cali Colombia and I have traveled there many times. Colombia gets a bad rep from cartels years ago - but things there now are about as normal as any country.

Really enjoyed Cartagena - very historic area, modern, safe, etc. Some great excursions to little islands, snorkeling, etc

Have also traveled to the "coffee" region of Colombia - around Armenia. Very beautiful.

Anyway - if you are thinking about Colombia send me an email with any questions

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cocky Doodle View Post
    My wife is from Cali Colombia and I have traveled there many times. Colombia gets a bad rep from cartels years ago - but things there now are about as normal as any country.

Really enjoyed Cartagena - very historic area, modern, safe, etc. Some great excursions to little islands, snorkeling, etc

Have also traveled to the "coffee" region of Colombia - around Armenia. Very beautiful.

Anyway - if you are thinking about Colombia send me an email with any questions
    Colombia is an option and I'll shoot you a PM if we decide on that, but I'm also thinking Peru, Chile, Ecuador, and Bolivia.

that sounds amazing cockypanther. I personally would love to go to Brazil and see the Christ the Redeemer statue

I had a great trip to Peru once. Started in Lima. Flew into Cusco and did the Inca ruins nearby and the Urubamba Valley. Then took the train to Macchu Pichu. On the same trip we also went up the Amazon to the Tambopata Research Center and spent a couple of days hiking in the rainforest. One of my favorite trips.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
    that sounds amazing cockypanther. I personally would love to go to Brazil and see the Christ the Redeemer statue
    They have one in Santiago, Chile and one in Cochabamba, Bolivia as well. I went to the one in Bolivia and it was pretty awe inspiring. The trip up the mountain on a road without any guard rails was a little less enjoyable.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
    Bill Shankly, YNWA!

I would love to go to Peru to see Machu Picchu.

I think Rio would be a fun/interesting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by markp_vip View Post
    They have one in Santiago, Chile and one in Cochabamba, Bolivia as well. I went to the one in Bolivia and it was pretty awe inspiring. The trip up the mountain on a road without any guard rails was a little less enjoyable.
    Wow I didnít know that

All American"all the way" cockalicious's Avatar

I have been to 43 countries and Brasil is one of my Favorites. The people are nice the food is awesome the scenery is stunning, however its important you know where you are and are aware to avoid danger. PM And I will be happy to set you guys up with a plan, you just need to know where not to go and to be low key and dress down.

Been to Argentina several times to fish in Patagonia. The lakes region inclusive of Bariloche and St Marin de los Andes.
    Careful with money the ARS is about 40 peso to 1 US$. there could be severe unrest soon. DO NOT wear a rolex in SA. there's a huge market in stolen Rolex's there - We were mugged in BsAs and my wife's watch was ripped from her arm. I had a major injury in the attack. There's a cocaine derivative called paco which is cheap and addictive and leads to crime in many areas.
    Read the papers from the areas you wish to visit and you'll get a view. Patagonia is safe though - north of Bariloche to south of Cholila is fantastic.
    What time of year?
    under a coconut tree!

I hate you...go to Argentina and eat at Don Julio's.

Quote Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
    There also have one on a mountain overlooking Cali