Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 392

Thread: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

  1. #181
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by GeoCocky66 View Post
    I think that he does get involved with a number of marginal players hoping that he can help straighten them out, not just as basketball players but as grown men. To me, it's part of him that stems directly from his past experiences and something that I respect about Frank. Damontre Harris was the Florida transfer (he was also dismissed from there), and you can add Eric Cobb, who transferred to UConn where he was also suspended. Demetrius Henry and Shamiek Sheppard, among others, had suspension issues and never accomplished much after leaving. The career ending injury was Temarcus Blanton, but he had that even before coming here and it was always questionable as to whether he'd be able to play. Thompson and Gill (who I don't recall having any personal issues) were probably the two that have had the most success, though I liked Jamall Gregory and think that he could have a really good senior season at Jacksonville State.
    Great post and I think you have focused on something about Frank that we should admire and encourage. However, I don't think the school itself feels that way. It almost seems like the University sees men's BB as a trouble spot and a burden rather than an opportunity. I also agree with VBCock about Thompson. I want to see how Keita does this year for St. Johns.

  2. #182
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    We have 9 scholarship players for the Upstate game. If we can stay out of foul trouble, and don't get anyone hurt, we should be fine. Excited about the start of the season!!!
    Only 9? Who's missing for tonight?

    I just checked the roster and leaving off Couisnard and Bolden I see 11.

  3. #183
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Only 9? Who's missing for tonight?

    I just checked the roster and leaving off Couisnard and Bolden I see 11.
    Frink and Moss are out with injuries.

  4. #184
    If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    40,198

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I want to see how Keita does this year for St. Johns.
    I believe he is in line to start.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

    As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

  5. #185
    Bowl MVP GeoCocky66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Irmo
    Posts
    2,349

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    I believe he is in line to start.
    By default, apparently. He has beefed up a little from his time here and is now playing post. Interesting story on his situation at SJU:

    https://www.rumbleinthegarden.com/20...en-sedee-keita

  6. #186
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    Frink and Moss are out with injuries.
    Serious or just something minor? We might need both later on.

  7. #187
    1st Team All-SEC markymark550's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Irmo, SC
    Posts
    4,889

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    Serious or just something minor? We might need both later on.
    I believe both have minor leg injuries. Moss' is an ankle injury and last I saw would be out until next week. Frink's is a knee injury. Martin said he's "close" to being ready, but not quite there.

  8. #188
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Bryant is a player many have not talked about in depth. He has tremendous athletic ability and can really jump. He will play much taller than his actual height. Picture a shorter Silva.
    After our first game everyone seems willing to talk about Bryant. I was high on him when we signed him and even more so after seeing him last night. As noted I pictured him as a shorter Silva but he is much quicker than Chris. He has great moves to the basket. If he can develop a mid range shot he will be All SEC in his time here.


    Lawson is going to be good and counting the three freshmen who did not play last night I think this is going to be Frank's best class in his time here.

  9. #189
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    After our first game everyone seems willing to talk about Bryant. I was high on him when we signed him and even more so after seeing him last night. As noted I pictured him as a shorter Silva but he is much quicker than Chris. He has great moves to the basket. If he can develop a mid range shot he will be All SEC in his time here.


    Lawson is going to be good and counting the three freshmen who did not play last night I think this is going to be Frank's best class in his time here.
    I agree. Bryant is what Eddie Fogler calls a "quick twitch" athlete. So is Lawson. Bryant missed 2 or 3 shots at the rim last night that in time he will make. Probably slam them! And I agree that this freshman class is Frank's best at USC. I hear Couisnard is really good and I also like Frink and Moss. Hope we get to see them all play this season.

  10. #190
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    I agree. Bryant is what Eddie Fogler calls a "quick twitch" athlete. So is Lawson. Bryant missed 2 or 3 shots at the rim last night that in time he will make. Probably slam them! And I agree that this freshman class is Frank's best at USC. I hear Couisnard is really good and I also like Frink and Moss. Hope we get to see them all play this season.
    I saw him next to Silva and he (Bryant) looks taller than 6'6". He might be over 6'7" and he has long arms. Bryant, Lawson and Minaya are going to be the keys to this team growing and improving this year. I think we've seen all we are going to see from the others. Except Gravett looked a lot more comfortable freed from running the point. I saw some really athletic moves from him in the USC-Upstate game.

  11. #191
    Old Dixie Youth Eug Cock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Drain, Oregon is horrible...don't move here from California
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    If we can keep the younger guys healthy and out of trouble I'm feeling pretty good about the team moving forward.
    “I have one and I don’t get along with mine. That tells you how much I don’t like agents.”
    -Frank

    "We follow the rules here."
    -Boom

    "Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
    -HBC

  12. #192
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
    I saw him next to Silva and he (Bryant) looks taller than 6'6". He might be over 6'7" and he has long arms. Bryant, Lawson and Minaya are going to be the keys to this team growing and improving this year. I think we've seen all we are going to see from the others. Except Gravett looked a lot more comfortable freed from running the point. I saw some really athletic moves from him in the USC-Upstate game.
    We might see better play from Campbell as he practices and plays games. I'm a little disappointed in Kotsar on offense. His defense is fine. But I was hoping he would be a little better on offense this season. He might loosen up as the season goes. And we still have Cuisnard, Moss and Frink who have not played in a regular game yet. The team has potential that it has not seen yet. I thought Gravett was very good in that first game, except for shooting fg. He was the leading rebounder with 12!

  13. #193
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Gravett looks much more aggressive than in the past. I look for him to have a very good year. I also think he will be a good shooter for us. He shows much more confidence and looks the part of a good team player.

  14. #194
    Old Dixie Youth Eug Cock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Drain, Oregon is horrible...don't move here from California
    Posts
    311

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
    Gravett looks much more aggressive than in the past. I look for him to have a very good year. I also think he will be a good shooter for us. He shows much more confidence and looks the part of a good team player.

    He seems more comfortable in general to me...the game is slowing down for him some I think. Let's just hope that sticks as the competition gets tougher.
    I'm definitely liking what I'm seeing from him so far though.
    “I have one and I don’t get along with mine. That tells you how much I don’t like agents.”
    -Frank

    "We follow the rules here."
    -Boom

    "Our history is not all that super before we got here..."
    -HBC

  15. #195
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
    We might see better play from Campbell as he practices and plays games. I'm a little disappointed in Kotsar on offense. His defense is fine. But I was hoping he would be a little better on offense this season. He might loosen up as the season goes. And we still have Cuisnard, Moss and Frink who have not played in a regular game yet. The team has potential that it has not seen yet. I thought Gravett was very good in that first game, except for shooting fg. He was the leading rebounder with 12!
    He hasn't learned that when you get the ball in the paint you don't pull the ball down. You keep it high and use your body and go to the basket. But part of that is he doesn't jump well. Still, he's a big guy with good upper body strength. He could overpower smaller guys if he would be more aggressive.

  16. #196
    Recruit PokemNdaToof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lexington SC
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Re Cuisnard... I know USC is not allowing him to play pending some internal clearance situation, but is he enrolled and practicing with the team? Is he allowed to be on the sidelines, just not dressed out? Basically, is he allowed to do EVERYTHING except PLAY in a game???
    Wooooo!

  17. #197
    1st Team All-SEC Wisercock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    4,341

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Quote Originally Posted by PokemNdaToof View Post
    Re Cuisnard... I know USC is not allowing him to play pending some internal clearance situation, but is he enrolled and practicing with the team? Is he allowed to be on the sidelines, just not dressed out? Basically, is he allowed to do EVERYTHING except PLAY in a game???
    He is listed on the roster so I am pretty sure he is in school and practicing. They don't want him to play in a game in case it is later found that he is ineligible. When that situation will be resolved is a mystery wrapped inside an enigma.

  18. #198
    Starter Spur20001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Greenwood, South Carolina
    Posts
    1,256

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Back to the title of this thread: Through our first two games we have not looked good. I have not seen anything from Kotsar, Silva has not played like the Silva I know, our defense and lack of rebounding was awful in game 2. Our shooting has not been good. I am very impressed with Bryant and Lawson. I also think Gravett will have a good season. Minaya has not played well but I think he will. Hate to say it but I don't see Cudd helping us now or in the future.

    Too early to say how the season will go but I do think we will play much better especially when we have all our players dressed out. We are short one body due to the transfer having to sit out this season. We are also short three freshmen who have not played. This equals 25% of our players, comparable to football missing 21 players and baseball missing 9 players. It is very hard to look good or win when you are short this many players.

  19. #199
    Household Name kingofnerf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Straight Outta CLA
    Posts
    6,460

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Frank has trouble managing veteran players that intentionally do their own thing in games instead of playing within the system.

    In that respect, it doesn't really matter who you're recruits are if he can't find the handle on this problem.

    He's afraid of retaliation from parents if he tries to handle it the old school way and he doesn't seem to know an alternate way of handling the problem.

    He's said as much in several pressers this season and last.

    The upperclassmen should be leading instead of being the problem children at this point in their careers here.

    If Tanner would help him find a solution to this problem (assuming Tanner is not the problem), Frank would have consistent winning seasons and NCAAT trips here.

    I think the FB program has the same problem as well. JMO.

  20. #200
    Household Name thumpin big's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Brevard, NC
    Posts
    5,186

    Default Re: How Good Can Frank's Team Be?

    Frank has been coaching a good while, so he knows how to handle all kinds of players. But, he does not like it when players don't play the way he has taught them to play. He was mad at Silva the last game because Silva wouldn't guard ball screens the way Frank had taught him to. Frank doesn't yell at players when they play how he wants. But it bothers him when guys who have been in his program for two or three years don't follow instructions. Can't blame him for that. I expect Silva and Kotsar to play much better Tuesday night.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •