Thread: Best Seafoood Restaurants In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant

Default Best Seafoood Restaurants In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant

If you had to pick your best 5 seafood restaurants in the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant, SC area, what would they be.

I have been to Charleston/Mt. Pleasant many times in my life, but I would like to pose this question to people who actually live in this area and get their opinion of what the locals think is the best.

Planning on another trip down there in the end of October or early November.

Default Re: Best Seafoood Restaurants In Charleston/Mt. Pleasant

Everybody likes something different, but here are a couple of places I enjoy.

Anson
    Peninsula Grill
    The Marina Variety Store (Great Brunch)
    The Wreck (if you just want good ole fried seafood)

I was going to say Marina Variety Store for breakfast too. Great view and very good food. Can't go wrong with the Low Country Hash Browns, if you like fresh shrimp.

Back in the day when I grew up on James Island, I'm dating myself here, but I loved The Trawler over in Mt Pleasant. But didn't it burn down, was rebuilt and then burn again?

Last time I was home I ate at Bowen's Island Restaurant - right before Folly Beach. Decent food but go when it's cooler outside as they only have fans, no AC.

1st Team All-SEC RoosterBooster's Avatar

A little out of Charleston, but I like See Wee. Second on the Marina, Anson's and the Wreck.
    Roadside, Hank's, and Bowen's Island.
    Codfather.
    I HATE ORANGE

Quote Originally Posted by RoosterBooster View Post
    A little out of Charleston, but I like See Wee. Second on the Marina, Anson's and the Wreck.
    Roadside, Hank's, and Bowen's Island.
    Codfather.

I approve of all these.

I love some Bowen's island. There are few things more Southern than shucking oysters, drinking beer, and sitting on a dock.

I want to also give a plug for the more upscale restaurants. Reservations on short notice will be tough, but they (almost) all offer a full menu at the bar and a few if I remember right have a longer communal table for walkins?

Not all seafood,but:
    Oriental Cuisine
    Old Towne
    Leyla
    Magnolia's

1st Team All-SEC RoosterBooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by St. Louis Gamecock View Post
    Back in the day when I grew up on James Island, I'm dating myself here, but I loved The Trawler over in Mt Pleasant. But didn't it burn down, was rebuilt and then burn again?

Last time I was home I ate at Bowen's Island Restaurant - right before Folly Beach. Decent food but go when it's cooler outside as they only have fans, no AC.
    Trawler burned down, rebuilt, Hugo got it, rebuilt again and then the owner retired probably 15 years ago.
    I HATE ORANGE

Whatever fish special Langdons in Mount Pleasant is having will not be a disappointment. HOpe you have an expense account though. Worth every penny still.

Though not strictly seafood, we love the Old Village Post House on Pitt Street in Mt. Pleasant. Great food and a lovely place to take an evening stroll.

I really like the Original Crab House on the Ashley River - under the draw bridge. Food is great and the view is awesome.

RB's in Shem Creek is very good at times and just good at times. Don't know what the locals think of this place?

Fight, Win, Kick Ass Copperhead's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    I really like the Original Crab House on the Ashley River - under the draw bridge. Food is great and the view is awesome.
    Wappoo Cut actually

Fight, Win, Kick Ass Copperhead's Avatar

Back in the day, when the Clipper and Thunderstar were still there and Reds was an actual ice house with shrimp boats and long-liners were four and five deep against the docks, all the seafood on Shem Creek was fresh catch. I believe the only fresh seafood left on Shem Creek anymore is at The Wreck. Oh yeah, and Mt. Pleasant Seafood. Shrimp from the Magwoods/Winds of Fortune
    IE. The true locals, not counting the crudloads of transplants, don't eat on Shem. We drink there!

That being said, the last time I was at Fleet Landing on Concord Street, it was pretty damn good. Bowens Island of course. Definitely check out Cane Rhum Bar on East Bay St downtown. They have some really good happy hour specials and food. Ahi and mahi

Had lunch yesterday at Fleet Landing.Nothing to write home about,except for the tomato and cucumber salad.The make it with balsamic vinegar and basil.It was really good.

Well I finally got down to the Mt. Pleasant/Charleston area and I went to The Wreck over at Shem Creek. Ain't nothing to look at - as it was like one person said to me about the place; "It's like eating on someone's garage or back porch", but I will have to say that the fried seafood we got there was "very, very, good" and it does have a great - certain - feel - about the whole place. As ugly as the place looks on the inside, there was a large party of pretty women and several guys who got tables outside near the water and just sat out there and drink wine and beer and looked to be having a great time. Left there and went around to RB's and sat at the bar and had some drinks with my wife and enjoyed the company of several other couples that were doing the same thing. Enjoyed both of these places.

The next evening - we went downtown and did the carriage ride thing for my wife and had an excellent time as I am a history buff and can never get enough of learning more and more about historic Charleston. We timed it so that we could walk over to Hank's Seafood Restaurant for "happy hour" and had a couple of drinks and then sat down to what I consider the "best seafood meal I have ever had in Charleston, SC" and I have eaten at a lot of places. The seafood I got was a combo plate of grouper and shrimp - with mashed taters and collard greens and everything was just awesome. The collard greens had to be the absolute best I have had in many, many, years!!! Of course you are going to pay a little bit more here - due to the atmosphere of the place and the great service you get while you are there, but I would highly recommend this place to anyone who wants a "little bit above" for supper one night.

I still have a few other places that I will still continue to go and eat at when in the Holy City, but Hank's is now up there on my list of places to go.

Thanks to those of you who offered up their opinions of great places to eat at while down in Charleston/Mt. Pleasant, SC.