Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chicken Bog

Default Re: Chicken Bog

Quote Originally Posted by PharmSC View Post
    Would anyone care to share a recipe or some tips? I grew up in Horry County but my parents didn’t so they don’t know how to make it. Now I live in Arkansas where it doesn’t exist. My attempts at making it just haven’t been quite right...

This is what I do to make my version of Chicken Bog.

First I cook in a large pot - about 2 - to 1 1/2 lbs of chicken. This is a couple of chicken breasts and the rest is chicken thighs.

After the chicken is boiled and cooked - about 55 minutes to an hour. I take the chicken out of the pot and allow it to cool. When I put it back into the pot - it will be torn apart into small pieces of chicken.

Then I add about 16 ounces of chicken broth to the pot - and season according to what your taste are - I add salt, pepper, Old Bay - Lemon Pepper - Onion Powder - Garlic Powder or whatever you like best.

I then add - 1 lb of pork sausage after cutting it into small slices. After this is done - then I add any additional seasoning - according to taste. Then I have my wife cook the rice - it is about two cups - and once it hits the chicken broth - it immediately soaks up all the water. So, I add some "heavy cream - two to three large spoonfuls of sour cream - and maybe a little bit of milk". I also add the "small pieces of chicken back into the pot - along with some Worcestershire sauce - liquid smoke - maybe a few drops -- or whatever you like best. Experiment to what you like best. That's what I had to do until I got it down right to a place where my family really loves it now.

After rice is cooked and taste just right - then I taste the end result and see if it needs any additional seasonings and then let it simmer for 20 to 30 minutes - and then we start eating it.

My recipe might be a tad bit different from anything that some of you might have had before - but it is amazing and the whole thing is NOT SOUPY - BUT IS MORE LIKE A CREAMY MIXTURE AND IT SHOULD HAVE AN ABUNDANCE OF PEPPER TO IT. THE RICE SHOULD BE COOKED WELL AND NOT BE HARD OR CRUNCHY. THE RICE SHOULD BE SOFT AND TASTE GREAT.

That being said: It is called Chicken Bog. If you come from a different part of the state - you can call it what you like - but we folks in the midlands and other parts of the state call it Chicken Bog.

I may have to try this over the weekend. I love a good stew or casserole that you can eat on for a few days.

I am 100% in the chicken pilau (pronounced purr-low) camp. It is not mushy, soupy, or adulterated with vegetables.

1) Take one medium size chicken (say six pounds range), remove the giblets.

2) Place the chicken into a stock pot and barely cover with water. Add two tablespoons salt and two bay leaves. Turn to high, bring to a simmer, then turn down to low and simmer around 40 minutes more (it will take a long time to reach a simmer, we're looking at about an hour total here).

3) Remove the chicken and set aside.

4) Remove 8 cups of the water used to boil the chicken. Skim the water from the top so you collect all that good chicken fat floating on top, this is key.

6) Empty the rest of the pot and wipe away any scum or junk that is stuck to the pot.

7) Return the 8 cups liquid with a smoked sausage (or two if you like) smoked sausage sliced into discs. Add four cups parboiled rice (you can find this is any grocery store), a little salt, and a LOT of freshly ground black pepper. Stir and then turn on the heat and cook the rice completely. Do not touch!

8) While the rice/sausage cooks, shred the chicken.

9) When the rice is fully cooked, fluff with a fork and stir in the shredded chicken. Taste and add more pepper if you want.

That's it.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoCCUChants View Post
    I'm from Georgetown and we call it perlou, or pileau, or perlow, etc. I now live in Myrtle and it gets under my skin a little when everyone calls it bog. Same with Frogmore Stew...hate when it's called a lowcountry boil. Anyways, the biggest difference I've found in a perlou and bog is that the bog is a bit more wet and sticky whereas the perlou the rice is a bit more separated.
    Perlau/pilaf/pirlou/pilau - and probably a million more different ways to spell it - describes many different recipe rice dishes. It is our region's version of Jambalaya and Gumbo. It can involve red rice, shrimp, peppers....there's even an okra pilau recipe that only has bacon in it as the meat ingredient. I have an awesome Hampton Plantation Shrimp Pilau recipe that has bacon and shrimp in it. The main primary ingredient in Perlau seems to be rice, but after that the sky's the limit.....

Chicken bog is simply chicken bog. There's no shrimp, no peppers (if done right), no hot spices. And damn well no okra. Some people add liver, some add egg, but 99% of all the bog I've ever cooked and eaten - and I've been to more Loris Bog-Off festivals and eaten more Shriner money-drive bog meals than I can begin to count - have all had rice, chicken, sausage, onion, and that's about it. Maybe salt and pepper to taste. Chicken bog has always been chicken bog......

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Perlau/pilaf/pirlou/pilau - and probably a million more different ways to spell it - describes many different recipe rice dishes. It is our region's version of Jambalaya and Gumbo. It can involve red rice, shrimp, peppers....there's even an okra pilau recipe that only has bacon in it as the meat ingredient. I have an awesome Hampton Plantation Shrimp Pilau recipe that has bacon and shrimp in it. The main primary ingredient in Perlau seems to be rice, but after that the sky's the limit.....

Chicken bog is simply chicken bog. There's no shrimp, no peppers (if done right), no hot spices. And damn well no okra. Some people add liver, some add egg, but 99% of all the bog I've ever cooked and eaten - and I've been to more Loris Bog-Off festivals and eaten more Shriner money-drive bog meals than I can begin to count - have all had rice, chicken, sausage, onion, and that's about it. Maybe salt and pepper to taste. Chicken bog has always been chicken bog......
    As have my pilaus growing up. Never had chicken pilau with anything other than that. Hell, if I went to Georgetown and said the word pilau, the only thing that would come to mind is chicken pilau. Not debating the meaning of pilau, because Im aware that it can be a variety of rice dishes. With that said, my dad made that variet of shrimp pilau, wth the bacon and shrimp. I sure do miss that.

So long as ya'll don't make this one on Gameday, we're good...
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post

This.

The only difference is that I have never even had onion in mine (at least not enough onion for it to even be noticeable).

Chicken Bog is a very simple rice, sausage and boiled chicken recipe.

Quote Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post

Exactly how I make mine.

I do know that as a few have stated, generally when you get it, some places make it dryer than that, which is also good.