Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Can We Upset Clemson?

Default Re: Can We Upset Clemson?

Quote Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
    When i was at USC i dated a model who later was in Victoia Secret catalog. Never thought that would happen. She later left me for Chris Kristofferson. It was fun while it lasted. My point is anything can happen.
    It's Kris ... and yes, she was hot back then ...

Heck no

All you Clemson Tigers Can Kiss My Garnet Ass -M.C.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
    You do realize Clemson is 6th in the country in rushing defense right?

Also I donít think you are going to like playing Lawrence over Bryant. Just my opinion
    Clemson has played two teams ranked high in the rushing stats, but they were both triple option teams, Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. Clemson has the speed and athleticism up front to defend the triple option. Which is fine because we do not run that.

Outside of those two, Clemson has not played much in the way of good rushing teams, or good offenses period. TAMU is probably the best in both categories and they got 500 yards of Offense.

A balanced attack and strong Offensive line can cause problems, and we have that. And Clemson is not nearly as strong in the back seven. If Bentley is on target early, and gets enough time for his WRs to get open, it will open up the run game.

To me, Lawrence is similar to Jacob Eason, former UGA QB. Same size, recruiting ranking, hype. In his last game against South Carolina, he single-handedly kept us in the game. We struggle against Dual Threat QBs, but handle Pro-Style guys pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
    Clemson has played two teams ranked high in the rushing stats, but they were both triple option teams, Georgia Tech and Georgia Southern. Clemson has the speed and athleticism up front to defend the triple option. Which is fine because we do not run that.

Outside of those two, Clemson has not played much in the way of good rushing teams, or good offenses period. TAMU is probably the best in both categories and they got 500 yards of Offense.

A balanced attack and strong Offensive line can cause problems, and we have that. And Clemson is not nearly as strong in the back seven. If Bentley is on target early, and gets enough time for his WRs to get open, it will open up the run game.

To me, Lawrence is similar to Jacob Eason, former UGA QB. Same size, recruiting ranking, hype. In his last game against South Carolina, he single-handedly kept us in the game. We struggle against Dual Threat QBs, but handle Pro-Style guys pretty well.
    Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We don’t have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Lawrence is far superior to Jacob Eason. No comparison really. He can make throws that Eason only dreams of.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I don’t look for that to change. They’re just in his head.

1st Team All-American Ace Dilcock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We donít have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Lawrence is far superior to Jacob Eason. No comparison really. He can make throws that Eason only dreams of.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I donít look for that to change. Theyíre just in his head.
    Players can and do improve. Jake was as lost as a ball in high weeds against Michigan last year, only to find his way late and pull out a W. Michigan has a similar D to Clemson, although not as good on Offense.

Jake seemed to catch on a little against Clemson last year as well, although it was much too late. And he did not play in the second half against Clemson in 2016. There is still hope.

Clemson is not that good on the O Line or the back seven on D.The key on Offense is misdirection and avoiding the initial push from the D Line - do that, and the soft underbelly is exposed downfield.

The last 2 games were unwatchable, I just want them to keep this one close. Watching Clemson hang 77 on Louisville, and then seeing how easily Ole Miss moved the ball on us has not left me with a good feeling.

I really don't think we can because their defensive line is gonna get some stops for them. We would need to only punt like 1 time to have a chance.

I hope the team doesn't have the same mindset as most of our fans...

"I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

What's the ceiling we can score against the Clemson defense? We've had 17 total points the last two years combined, so at best I think we can maybe hit around 24 or 27 points this year if we're on our A game.

Which also begs the question - can we hold Clemson to under that amount on defense? Probably not, given Etienne is very reliable for Clemson and their passing game is pretty good, but if we can stop one of the pass or run, I think we may have a small shot then.

My prediction: Clemson wins with a 40-14 type score
    If we were to somehow win: 27-24
    Do ya thing

Only if Venables turns over the coaching duties to Dabo and also lets him call plays.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
    What's the ceiling we can score against the Clemson defense? We've had 17 total points the last two years combined, so at best I think we can maybe hit around 24 or 27 points this year if we're on our A game.

Which also begs the question - can we hold Clemson to under that amount on defense? Probably not, given Etienne is very reliable for Clemson and their passing game is pretty good, but if we can stop one of the pass or run, I think we may have a small shot then.

My prediction: Clemson wins with a 40-14 type score
    If we were to somehow win: 27-24
    Depends on how soon they send in their guys for garbage time. We can probably score on their 3rd stringers late in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
    Clemson has among the best, if not the best, DLs in the nation. Without a doubt. Expecting anything less than us getting manhandled is just setting up for disappointment. They are more talented and deeper than across the board. We don’t have a single matchup advantage in this game.

Jake has performed absolutely horribly in 2 outings against Clemson. I don’t look for that to change. They’re just in his head.
    Exactly right on every point.

USC friends....we are setting ourselves up for a huge letdown if you expect anything short of a blowout vs Clemson. Its at their place. They’ll be ranked 1 or 2 with a weak ACC CCG opponent on deck so they wont be looking ahead. Hell we probably will be better than that ACC CCG opponent.

They have 5-6 NFL players on that DL 2-deep. Jake will have 3 seconds max to throw on most plays.
    We haven’t covered Hunter Renfro in years and wont start now.
    Lawerence is a 2021 1st round draft pick at QB. Sorry its just true.

Theres always that <%10 we stun them with an upset. But more likely its gonna be a 30-40 point blowout so lets just stop setting ourselves up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I hope the team doesn't have the same mindset as most of our fans...

They wont. Players always think they can win. All 18-22 year olds also all know they will be comfortable millionaires and retired at 40 and will meet the perfect wife at 25 and live happily and healthy for 100 years haha.

Theres no harm in seeing reality in this game though. Anyone who looks at USC vs Clemson and DOESNT expect a blowout loss is just In fantasyland

Quote Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
    Theres no harm in seeing reality in this game though. Anyone who looks at USC vs Clemson and DOESNT expect a blowout loss is just In fantasyland
    Hey Mom, I'm going to Disneyworld!!

You folks have let the past 4 years get in your heads....
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

2nd Team All-SEC Garnet Gamecock's Avatar

Sure, we can defeat Clemson. We just need to call "Kick Ass, on One!"
    Cream the Kadiddlehoppers!

We will have to come up with a extensive offensive gameplan to block their DL. Double teams, leave TEs and running backs in. I really dont know if we can.

Man it's just about time we give em another unexpected knockout blow in this series. It's been long enough since we won an unexpected one. If the ACC really is that bad, who knows, maybe we have a shot if we play lights out.

Still not too optimistic. But this the rivalry, the hatred. Anything can happen.
    Do ya thing

Yes! We can.
    We just have to score when we have the ball.
    Easy peasy!

We can but we won't.
    "After victory, tighten your helmet cord"
    -Japanese Proverb

From a gameplan perspective, the only way I see us having a chance is if we completely abandon the run early in the game. And when I say completely I mean it. Clemson blitzes every damn down when they play us and we get zilch at best running the football. We have to start off this game doing short passes and avoiding Clemson's defensive line altogether.

Yes it's a very one dimensional approach but we've seen two years in a row now where starting the game off with a balanced offense has just bitten us in the ass and stalled out drives quickly. I'm sure you all remember in 2016 in death valley how on our very first drive Clemson just blitzed and sacked Bentley twice right away, and got our RB for a loss on the other play. Quick 3 and out which got into Bentley's head right away. We can't start out this game watching them get after and pressure Bentley. He will crack big time.

Screen passes to the RB with blockers, quick slants over the middle, screen passes on the outside with Deebo, Edwards, and Shi so they can power forward for yardage. Just do things that get the ball off quickly and take Clemson's defensive line out of the equation.

Defensively I don't have a ****ing clue how to begin to stop them. I just hope that we are 100% on the injury front so that we are the best we can be. It's gonna take absolutely everything we've got. I suppose shut down Etienne and make Lawrence beat us through the air (which he definitely can, but it's better than getting pounded by Etienne and wearing our defense out). Try to turn it into the Ole Miss game.
    Do ya thing