Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many drops since BMac came to the sideline?

Default How many drops since BMac came to the sideline?

Just curious if anyone has kept track.

Receiver play has obviously stepped up the past 2 games, with a few ridiculous grabs, most notably Deeboís TD grab against UT and Edwardsí big gainer against Ole Miss. Shi also has had some nice grabs.

Iím a little curious why the coach being on the sideline makes so much of a difference in whether a receiver can catch the ball or not? It canít just be accountability.

Deebo had another huge grab yesterday where Jake threw the ball down around Deeboís knees. In previous weeks thereís no way it would have been a catch. Yesterday it stuck to his hands like he had a gallon of stickum on his hands.

Default Re: How many drops since BMac came to the sideline?

Quote Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

Receiver play has obviously stepped up the past 2 games, with a few ridiculous grabs, most notably Deebo’s TD grab against UT and Edwards’ big gainer against Ole Miss. Shi also has had some nice grabs.

I’m a little curious why the coach being on the sideline makes so much of a difference in whether a receiver can catch the ball or not? It can’t just be accountability.

Deebo had another huge grab yesterday where Jake threw the ball down around Deebo’s knees. In previous weeks there’s no way it would have been a catch. Yesterday it stuck to his hands like he had a gallon of stickum on his hands.
    There’s just something to be said about being able to look your guys in the eye between plays. It creates accountability, and it gives BMac a better ability to keep his finger on the pulse of his offense. However, it only works if you’ve got a guy in the booth who you absolutely trust. Luckily, Werner is a true vet up there.

Plus, BMac is just one of those guys that players love. Having him down there just elevated their game.

And I’ve been saying this was the fix for a couple weeks now. I’m glad BMac tried it, I’m glad it worked, and I’m glad he’s got a guy up in the booth he can trust. It should give him the confidence to stay down there.

Wasn't there a poster on here that stated the biggest difference in the wr group this year from last was their coach got a promotion and wasn't having the same face time? Now who was that insightful poster?...

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    Wasn't there a poster on here that stated the biggest difference in the wr group this year from last was their coach got a promotion and wasn't having the same face time? Now who was that insightful poster?...
    It was you. lol.
    "I'd rather have to say whoa than giddy-up" - Coach Will Muschamp

Receiver play has obviously stepped up the past 2 games, with a few ridiculous grabs, most notably Deeboís TD grab against UT and Edwardsí big gainer against Ole Miss. Shi also has had some nice grabs.

Iím a little curious why the coach being on the sideline makes so much of a difference in whether a receiver can catch the ball or not? It canít just be accountability.

Deebo had another huge grab yesterday where Jake threw the ball down around Deeboís knees. In previous weeks thereís no way it would have been a catch. Yesterday it stuck to his hands like he had a gallon of stickum on his hands.

I only remember one outright dropped pass yesterday and think it was Smith. Much improvement!!

Quote Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
    Yeah, or that guy who started an entire thread about the solution being BMac on the sideline...

Maybe we just get it.

So are the drops still on Bentley?

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
    Yeah, or that guy who started an entire thread about the solution being BMac on the sideline...

Maybe we just get it.
    Took y'all long enough

I know Smith had two yesterday. Something is up with him. I wonder if he's pressing too much.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofnerf View Post
    Couldn't watch the game yesterday, so I watched it today on WatchESPN.

The broadcasters remarked during the game that him being down there to encourage them calmed the receivers down and was good for their confidence.

We were out of synch on offense at a point in the season that it was costing us games.

McLendon is an unproven OC, but I am encouraged that he made the corrections necessary to get us more productivity on game day.

Some disappointing losses this season, but I think it bodes well for next year and also the rest of the season.

Denson came so close to being stripped on that last long run, though.

We gave up 617 yards to Ole Miss and still won the game. Defense may win championships, but offense keeps people interested in the game.

It was a fun game to watch and I liked the aggressive play-calling.
    BMac has proven enough to me. I know thatís not the case for everybody yet, but I think heís been great.

Couldn't watch the game yesterday, so I watched it today on WatchESPN.

The broadcasters remarked during the game that him being down there to encourage them calmed the receivers down and was good for their confidence.

We were out of synch on offense at a point in the season that it was costing us games.

McLendon is an unproven OC, but I am encouraged that he made the corrections necessary to get us more productivity on game day.

Some disappointing losses this season, but I think it bodes well for next year and also the rest of the season.

Denson came so close to being stripped on that last long run, though.

We gave up 617 yards to Ole Miss and still won the game. Defense may win championships, but offense keeps people interested in the game.

It was a fun game to watch and I liked the aggressive play-calling.

BMac is rubbing gorilla glue on their gloves between drives

I really don't understand or really think his presence on the sidelines is what is making a difference. But sometimes strange reasons seem to work and it's working now so let's stick with it!

Quote Originally Posted by WeDemBoyz View Post
    I really don't understand or really think his presence on the sidelines is what is making a difference. But sometimes strange reasons seem to work and it's working now so let's stick with it!
    It's just a psychological difference. They aren't better athletes when he's down there, but they may be improved mentally. Think of it this way, the only offensive coaches on the sideline are Bobby Bentely, Wolford, and Washington (who moved to the booth). If you're Jake or the receivers, who do you go talk to when things go wrong?

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

McClendon moving to the sideline has been a huge success and it needs to be permanent. It has not only benefited him but also the players. He has called 2 straight gems.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
    It's just a psychological difference. They aren't better athletes when he's down there, but they may be improved mentally. Think of it this way, the only offensive coaches on the sideline are Bobby Bentely, Wolford, and Washington (who moved to the booth). If you're Jake or the receivers, who do you go talk to when things go wrong?
    There’s no question that moving BMac to the sidelines has worked for the offense. However, I’m just not putting it together in terms of the WR drops. I can understand a receiver needing some input during the game if it’s an issue with alignment or route running or what have you. But do they need input during the game on how to catch the ball.

If it’s an accountability thing, then it’s sad that a major contributing factor to 2 of our 3 losses were due to that. WR should be able to catch a ball with or without the coach on the sideline.

There’s no question that moving BMac to the sidelines has worked for the offense. However, I’m just not putting it together in terms of the WR drops. I can understand a receiver needing some input during the game if it’s an issue with alignment or route running or what have you. But do they need input during the game on how to catch the ball.

If itís an accountability thing, then it’s sad that a major contributing factor to 2 of our 3 losses were due to that. WR should be able to catch a ball with or without the coach on the sideline.
    Well, I think it works in two ways.

1. McClendon can see for himself which receivers are looking/feeling good at any given time. Being in the booth, McClendon can't see which players are locked in and which ones aren't. He just has to trust them.

2. If players want the ball, they have to show BMac that their heads are right between every play. At a position like WR, you want a guy with confidence/swagger, and you have to show the guy calling plays you're in the right headspace.

I'm not going to go as far to say that ALL of our success last week was because BMac is on the sideline (it could be, but I'm not ready to say that). But I do think having the ability to see/feel the energy of your guys helps you call plays better.

EDIT: Again, the whole thing only works because Werner is in the booth. Anybody else, and I don't think you see BMac down on the sideline.

If C2 doesn't trust you.. CoverTwo's Avatar

You don't have to go any further than the player interviews last week where the majority said that having BMac on the sideline was a big help because of what he was able to do as far as coaching and motivating. His presence down there has provided a much needed boost to confidence.
    Follow me on Twitter! @Ch4ncey

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan

Quote Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
    You don't have to go any further than the player interviews last week where the majority said that having BMac on the sideline was a big help because of what he was able to do as far as coaching and motivating. His presence down there has provided a much needed boost to confidence.
    He really is just one of those guys that players love to play for. For example, I think it makes sense that Roper would be in the booth and nobody would care, while players want BMac on the sideline.

I'm glad the change was made to have BMac down there, but we're extremely fortunate to have Werner up in the booth. That guy knows his stuff.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

i dont think him going to the sideline means the receivers or anybody else wont make mistakes but its had an overall positive impact we're you see a great rhythm develop and overall good balance where jake is making plays with his arm and legs, the rb's are contributing so that guys arent feeling the pressure they did previously where they felt they had to do too much.

that said he was on the sideline last year and we had the fewest drops in the sec.