Thread: Shi Smith Hypothetical

Default Shi Smith Hypothetical

So let's say Shi gets some snaps on D this week and flies around well, tackles well and just flat out makes plays on the ball.

Has he done enough to be a full time WR or do you think there's a chance he could move to S full time with a good enough performance?

Default Re: Shi Smith Hypothetical

Quote Originally Posted by ba55nec4r View Post
    So let's say Shi gets some snaps on D this week and flies around well, tackles well and just flat out makes plays on the ball.

Has he done enough to be a full time WR or do you think there's a chance he could move to S full time with a good enough performance?
    No way we switch Shi to D. He’s a proven sure handed receiver, would be foolish to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by ba55nec4r View Post

If he balls out then yeah, he should remain a safety for the remainder of the season but I also think his hands are too good not to have him playing offense and I think he will only play defense in an emergency situation. Personally if I were Joyner I wouldn’t mind filling in at safety at least I’m on the field but whatever

1st Team All-American Cockypantherfan's Avatar

Shi needs to stay at WR. He is a good offensive weapon.

I wish he would get more targets are wr. He's our next star.

Quote Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
    No way we switch Shi to D. He’s a proven sure handed receiver, would be foolish to do that.
    Yeah, he's sure-footed, with good football speed, is exciting to watch. He's had some big drops this year, though. Needs to get a little more sure-handed.

This is a stop-gap in a bad situation. Shi belongs at WR. We need more talent and depth at S from recruiting.

Shi belongs at WR, but why not use him on third downs or in obvious passing situations? I know we all think that it is one or the other with D and O but desperate times call for desperate measures.

If nothing else, it might broaden his appeal down the road...
    "Fear causes hesitation,
    And hesitation causes
    Your worst fears
    to come true." Bodhi.

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Yep, I can't imagine that Shi would get snaps at DB over others who were recruited for the position, and have time practicing and learning the schemes at the position during this season, off-season, and past seasons.

Horn - CB, N
    Nixon - CB, N
    Roderick - S
    Fenton - CB
    Montac - S
    Mukuamu - CB
    Dickerson - S
    Brown - S
    Gipson - S

If we can't find a rotation of 4-5 guys out of that group that we need to move WRs over, then we're in trouble....

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Yep, I can't imagine that Shi would get snaps at DB over others who were recruited for the position, and have time practicing and learning the schemes at the position during this season, off-season, and past seasons.

Horn - CB, N
    Nixon - CB, N
    Roderick - S
    Fenton - CB
    Montac - S
    Mukuamu - CB
    Dickerson - S
    Brown - S
    Gipson - S

If we can't find a rotation of 4-5 guys out of that group that we need to move WRs over, then we're in trouble....
    Here's the problem, you need to take Brown out of the mix he's at LB and has been for a while. That leaves us with 3 safeties and basically zero depth. If we suffer an injury Fenton may be in line to get some snaps at safety which leaves us with Nixon, Horn, and Mukuamu at CB. If any of them need to get spelled or suffer an injury that's where Smith comes in. He's like an emergency reserve, if we stay healthy he won't get PT there but we're 1-2 injuries away from needing him to step in and take some snaps. We're dangerously thin in the defensive backfield at the moment.

It probably would not work since he has not practiced at the position, better to leave him where he has been playing at this point. I guess we need to recruit more DB's, they drop like fly's during the season. I think we lost three in the last game alone.

1st Team All-American crowcutta's Avatar

like gotrice? just mentioned theyre mentally preparing him for corner in an emergency and not safety. theres zero chance he gets moved to defense full time unless once again its an emergency situation because noone can match his speed on offense. they feel he has the speed, skill, and background at the position to give us some snaps at corner in a pinch.

we went into this season not including players who got moved out of the secondary with 12 eligible scholarship db's on the roster. not including injured players we've currently got 8 scholarship db's available to play. next season we're probably returning 8 db's from the current roster. not that i have an idea of exactly how many db's muschamp wants on the roster at a given time, but i imagine muschamp will want to fill out the roster with at least 3-4 newcomers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocky2001 View Post
    Shi belongs at WR, but why not use him on third downs or in obvious passing situations? I know we all think that it is one or the other with D and O but desperate times call for desperate measures.

If nothing else, it might broaden his appeal down the road...
    I'd think we have to be absolutely desperate to put him at S.

Last time he played DB was HS. I don't think he faced many SEC quality WR's, TE's, and RB's at Union HS. He may still have instincts, but the game is a lot faster and more physical here. OC's would target him immediately if they saw him enter the game. It's a credit to him that the staff thinks he has the ability in a pinch to switch, but I hope it doesn't come down to reality.

But...it could work. I remember when Lou switched Corey Jenkins to LB late in the season, dude wound up spending some time in the NFL.

Biggest question to me, is what do we do with Jam? He's now had a couple of shoulder injuries, do we move him to offense next year?