Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: 2018 College Head Coaching Hirings/Firings

Default Re: 2018 College Head Coaching Hirings/Firings

Quote Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
    How the hell has Clemsonís staff remained yet again in tact?
    Time will tell, but it may be that what Dabo is building is more sustainable than what Saban has built at Bama. They will be on their 4th OC in 4 seasons and Tua will be on his 3rd. Itís a constant revolving door for that whole staff. Staff continuity is a huge deal for all sorts of things, not least of which is recruiting, but youíre also not having new coaching philosophies and so on.

Something is off in Bama.

First, Saban is a dick. That's been well established throughout his history. And I don't mean this to come off demeaning towards anyone with a disability, but he seemed so callous and indifferent and fixated at times, I've wondered if he isn't on the Autism spectrum. However, that being said, something was way off in the championship game. I've never seen a coach look so resigned to have his manhood removed during a football game.

Two, there's been an exodus of coaches for a long time from Bama, but the past few seasons, it's to another level. Long time coaches leaving for gigs that are mostly upgrades in titles, but still seem surprising.

C, and this is the weirdest of all, but I'm not sure the past few seasons Bama has had an identity. Before Kiffin, I knew Bama would be a beast on defense and run the ball over you. The could outtalent 99% of people of their schedule and the one team they'd meet they couldn't, you still knew in the fourth quarter what was going to happen on both sides of the ball. Hurts never fit the system and I thought Tua was the answer, but maybe it was just that they have so much talent that time wasn't spent establishing an identity. It's hard to know who you are as a team if you only play a team or two a year that challenges you.

I can see Saban going three ways. Most likely, he'll ride this out and lock down some assistants and win 4 more titles. Second, some random Tuesday in the next few years, Saban will announce his retirement. Out of the blue and completely tone deaf. Or, and this is the most intriguing to me, he'll stay around, win double digit games, but never have that dominant post-season team b/w Atlanta, CFP 2 games. They'll be good but not Bama. And he'll be pushed out a la Bowden.

Quote Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
    I can see Saban going three ways. Most likely, he'll ride this out and lock down some assistants and win 4 more titles. Second, some random Tuesday in the next few years, Saban will announce his retirement. Out of the blue and completely tone deaf. Or, and this is the most intriguing to me, he'll stay around, win double digit games, but never have that dominant post-season team b/w Atlanta, CFP 2 games. They'll be good but not Bama. And he'll be pushed out a la Bowden.

I'm calling it now, Saban has won his last CFP Title at Bama.

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post
    An interesting take for sure and I kind of agree. I was surprised at how badly he was out-coached in the NC game. He did not adjust well. The defense could not sniff getting to Lawrence and the defensive backfield was clueless at times. And the 4th down calls were a bit mystifying. A few worked - the really short 4th downs, but a couple of the longer 4th down calls were awful. Maybe that was the OC, but I am sure Saban weighs in on such critical plays.

When teams are this good for this long, something always starts to wane. I think UF went through it. Those 5 stars come in and think they do not have to work quite as hard and that a NC will come easy. It won't. This is hard stuff. There are lots of hungry teams out there.

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Bama played 4 Total Chumps this year to pad their record:
    Louisville
    ULL
    Citadel
    ArkSt
    Maybe their strength was suspect (this year)all along.
    Last edited by Senior Rooster; 01-11-2019 at 10:52 PM.

OORAH!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

Highly unlikely.

Are any of the clemson coaches taking a HC position?

1st Team All-American Roosterboy's Avatar

Combination of they have former clemson guys on staff/guys that grew up loving Clemson....with the fact they pay their coordinators well.

Venables is making $2 mil, Elliott and Scott are each making $850K.

The rest of the staff is making between $300K and $500K.
    Those lower teir assistants (Streeter, Hall, Conn, Bates) are all either Clemson guys, coming from HS, or a lower division school.

Hence why it is known Venables ain't leaving unless it is for a big HC gig, and since both his sons will likely play at clemson, I don't see him leaving until they graduate.

Scott and Elliott I could see leaving, but they are former Clemson players...the only way I see them leaving is if one asks for $1 mil...the money will eventually be spent, and someone won't be able to get the raise they want and will go to a HC job where they CAN get the money.
    Baseball
    SEC Champs: 2000, 2002, 2011
    CWS Appearances:
    1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
    Two-time National Champs

The Classic Double-Take ConwayGamecock's Avatar

Jaydon Hill and Chris Steele just lost their DB coach that recruited them to UF - he's now the DB coach at their bitter rival UGA....

Quote Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
    Jaydon Hill and Chris Steele just lost their DB coach that recruited them to UF - he's now the DB coach at their bitter rival UGA....

Awesome!

Les Miles made a nice hire getting Brent Dearmon on his staff as an offensive consultant (whatever the hell that is). His name may not be known now but I really think he is gonna be a hot commodity in a few years.

nm