Thread: Large BBQ Pit Cookers

Default Large BBQ Pit Cookers

Anybody out there own or want one of those huge competition pit cookers. I saw some last night on the Bar-B-Que Pit Masters Show and they were cooking "Whole Hog - Ribs' - Hams - & Shoulders". Those guys had some great looking cookers that surely cost them a lot of money. I guess that they would be too large for anyone who was just a weekend want-to-be-pit-master - like me!!!

Some of the guys that were competitive pit masters - also stated that they make and sell their own version of these very large pit cookers. After seeing these models last night and also seeing other people who make their own "cinder block pit cookers - for such things as whole hog cooking" and some people that are in the BBQ business also do it on more simple type of cooking pits too - I wonder if paying that kind of money would be a waste of time - unless you were into competitive BBQ cooking?

Default Re: Large BBQ Pit Cookers

I have a large smoker that was made out of an old hot water heater. It is excellent for cooking a lot of meat at one time. However, if you’re cooking anything other than huge amounts it is pretty worthless. It takes too much energy to try to cook for even a small group of people.

For the money, a "Cajun microwave" can cook a lot of food and versatile.

https://www.lacajachina.com/100-Lbs-...p/lcc-g101.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post

That box is pretty cool. But DAMN, thats alotta charcoal. Musta been at least 10-15 bags overall???
    Wooooo!

Been caught moddin' Spur's Addiction's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ut_vols13 View Post

I have a neighbor down the street who has something like this. Never knew what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    Anybody out there own or want one of those huge competition pit cookers. I saw some last night on the Bar-B-Que Pit Masters Show and they were cooking "Whole Hog - Ribs' - Hams - & Shoulders". Those guys had some great looking cookers that surely cost them a lot of money. I guess that they would be too large for anyone who was just a weekend want-to-be-pit-master - like me!!!

Some of the guys that were competitive pit masters - also stated that they make and sell their own version of these very large pit cookers. After seeing these models last night and also seeing other people who make their own "cinder block pit cookers - for such things as whole hog cooking" and some people that are in the BBQ business also do it on more simple type of cooking pits too - I wonder if paying that kind of money would be a waste of time - unless you were into competitive BBQ cooking?

Since I usually cooked chicken,ribs,or Boston Butts I sold mine and bought a Traeger.Can still do the low and slow and its much easier to store and keep.

Pit Barrel or Ugly Drum Smoker

I use to have a 55 gallon drum that someone made into a nice grill with legs, counter top and upper rack. It would take 30 or more lbs of charcoal to properly heat it up. I used it about three times a year and it worked good for large cooking events, but other than that it was not much good to a weekend pit master.

I am getting closer to getting me a RECTEC Pellet Grill and then I can do the low, slow, thing, and set it and forget it!!!

I saw a big grill that "Google Company" purchased from this guy in Texas to cook for all of their big company parties and I think it cost over $500,000 to make. The thing had "gold plated rims" on it and 5 different cooking stations. It was amazing to look at and it could do about anything you wanted to do or cook on it, but it would have taken a knowledgeable crew to properly know how to cook on it and make it flow smoothly.

This one is big. I keep on eating and I may be in the running.

Order Of The Spur

I miss Old Cocky Talk

I have a Lang 36" that I do my larger cooks in. It's not big enough for a whole hog, but I can get about 60lbs of butts in there at one time. I wish I would have gotten the 48" just because I love doing big cooks. Still wouldn't be able to get a full hog in, but would be more fun.

https://www.langbbqsmokers.com/lang3..._original.html

Now, when I'm just doing some smoked meatballs, chicken breast, wings, or a single brisket I used my Smokey Mountain 18"

https://www.amazon.com/Weber-721001-...mokey+mountain
    Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

Quote Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
    I agree with Cack.

I have been watching a lot of the previous episodes of "Man - Fire - Food" and I amazed at the way that many different people around the nation have made large pit cookers out of the most simplest things - such as a bare spot of dirt - with a bunch of concrete blocks around it and of course a metal grading inside and then cover it with a piece of tin. I have seen "swing-sets - with chains coming off the A Frame Part and the meat hanging over the coals". It is so amazing at what these people cook and how they do it. Yes, they do cook for large crowds and most of them are chefs or owners of a BBQ Restaurant and getting all of this free press, but occasionally they have a "regular Joe" that just loves to cook for people and is very good at it.

I think if I needed to do a large hog or a bunch of Boston Butts - then I could most likely put together a suitable pit for something like this in a day or so. Have any of you ever done something like this?

I have a friend who rented one from the MWR about 10 years ago. (Spoiler: He never returned it.) Anyways this thing could easily fit two small hogs on it with room to spare.
    ----------------------------------------------