Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Collard Greens - Who Loves Them

Default Re: Collard Greens - Who Loves Them

Quote Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
    I think that Hanks and Peninsula Grill have the same ownership. Peninsula had my favorite collards for years. They make a rich ham stock and braise them in the stock. It bet Hanks uses the same recipe.

My wife got their recipe and I am going to have her make them the same way that Hank's did. The only thing that I might do a tad bit different is that I like to put a little bit of cabbage in with mine. My mother always did it that way and I forgot why she said she did, but it does make them taste a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaCJAM View Post
    Love them cooked with bacon and finished off with some vinegar. I'm hungry now.

I have used both bacon and fatback to cook them. It is getting hard to find really good fatback anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
    Coming up as a boy we had many a meal weren't nothing but collard greens and corn bread.
    Also Mustard Greens, which can be picked then regrow like weeds. We always had a patch in back yard.
    Don't want to see another collard/mustard green in this life OR NEXT!!!!!

My friend, I understand your feelings about this. I too had to eat many a meal of any type of greens and just cornbread or hoecake with it. Ham was also cheap and very plentiful back when I was a kid and to this day I seldom will eat ham. It took me awhile to get back to really loving collard greens/spinach/turnip greens, but once I got a little older - I realize just how good they really tasted and I love them now.

Quote Originally Posted by brace View Post
    Nobody makes Better collards than me, only person comes close is my wife! I make tons of greens for my coworkers and my family during the Holidays, people eat my greens cold cause they canít wait to get them home and warm them up!

Well my friend, if I get back up towards Greer, SC and I am hungry for collard greens - I know who to call on now!!

2nd Team All-SEC Senior Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    My friend, I understand your feelings about this. I too had to eat many a meal of any type of greens and just cornbread or hoecake with it. Ham was also cheap and very plentiful back when I was a kid and to this day I seldom will eat ham. It took me awhile to get back to really loving collard greens/spinach/turnip greens, but once I got a little older - I realize just how good they really tasted and I love them now.

Maybe I will try again. Ate a ton of grits too but still like grits.

OORAH!!!!!!!

Nope!

Every spring down at the local "hangout" we would cook up a big mess of poke salad. Sides were butter beans, cornbread and fried fatback. We called it our "spring cleaning". It was very good, washed down with a beer or 12.

My Dad's family basically survived on collards, cornbread, & pork in the winter months. There was a skill involved in "turning under" the collard plants so that they wouldn't be damaged by frost or rot if too far underground and would stay relatively fresh all winter.

I've never been a big fan but as I've gotten older my tastes and probably body needs have changes so maybe it's time to try them again.

gt
    Here's to you, Feisty and Spurd&Fthrd.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMule View Post
    My Dad's family basically survived on collards, cornbread, & pork in the winter months. There was a skill involved in "turning under" the collard plants so that they wouldn't be damaged by frost or rot if too far underground and would stay relatively fresh all winter.

I've never been a big fan but as I've gotten older my tastes and probably body needs have changes so maybe it's time to try them again.

It is amazing at what your grandparents/great-grandparents survived on during the hard times. I did not care a lot for collard greens until I was older and then as my taste buds got older - they became a staple part of all of holiday dinners. I love turnip greens and spinach too, but collard greens get my top vote.

Sounds like your grandparents really had a knack for growing collards and knew all the right things to do to protect them from the harsh cold weather. I had a Great-Aunt whose husband would make "collard crout" in one gallon glass jars and have them all over their house. You could smell it before you walked into their front yard. Of course nobody had a/c back then and it was just an old mill home, but they sure did make a lot of that stuff!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    I have used both bacon and fatback to cook them. It is getting hard to find really good fatback anymore.
    Fatback is also a very good choice. Can't go wrong either way.
    ♫...Here's a health, Carolina, forever to thee!♫

I like em when they are done right. Seems like a lot of BBQ joints use too much vinegar.

1st Team All-American TastyLicks's Avatar

Do ya'll boil your collard greens? and how do you know how much to get since they presumably boil down so much. If you were having like 30 people over for thanksgiving or something it seems like you would need a ton of greens! like "back up the truck and dump those greens right in the pot".. lol

My cockatiels love them. They eat the stems first.

🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓🏈🐓

I save that for New Year’s Day.

Now cabbage, I can eat that all year

Quote Originally Posted by TastyLicks View Post
    Do ya'll boil your collard greens? and how do you know how much to get since they presumably boil down so much. If you were having like 30 people over for thanksgiving or something it seems like you would need a ton of greens! like "back up the truck and dump those greens right in the pot".. lol

Yes, we did collard greens for about ten people and we used about 6 bunches. I wash all of my collard off first (first washing) and then gently tear leaves from stems. After doing about two bunches - then I wash them all over again and make sure that I get all the grit and dirt off of them and then put them in a one gallon plastic freezer bag and then proceed to do the next four bunches we have. It is time consuming, but I don't want any stems on my collard greens and I also want them clean with no grit.

My wife has a "special recipe that we got from Hank's Seafood in Charleston, SC" and it is off the walls great. We had them yesterday and will have another batch on Saturday when my daughter and several grown granddaughters visit us.

Ain't nothing better than great Southern Collard Greens. Yes, after all the washing and tearing off the stems, we boil them down with other ingredients that my wife adds. She got her recipe from Hank's Seafood in Charleston, SC and has added a few things to it and it is just better!!!