Thread: Cheerleaders

Default Cheerleaders

To All The Moms & Dads out there that have a daughter that is cheering for the Varsity or JV Varsity - does your school acknowledge and give credit to these great student athletes that make up the cheer leading squads on all major high school levels????

My daughter did Varsity Cheer leading at Midland Valley High School and they won everything in the Southeast both her junior and senior years. She later did two years cheer leading at USC-Aiken and then was on the USC DANCE TEAM at USC in Columbia. She was an excellent cheer leader and also dance team member at USC in Columbia, SC. I don't think that ever got the recognition that they deserved for not only being "quality athletes" but also being a part the athletic program at each school.

How many of you Gamecock Parents have felt this sentiment or have stories to share about cheer leading being done fairly or within the rules at USC OR at their respective high schools???

Lock Down Corner SterlingBrooks's Avatar

Default Re: Cheerleaders

I clicked on this thread all excited.

Quote Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
    To All The Moms & Dads out there that have a daughter that is cheering for the Varsity or JV Varsity - does your school acknowledge and give credit to these great student athletes that make up the cheer leading squads on all major high school levels????

My daughter did Varsity Cheer leading at Midland Valley High School and they won everything in the Southeast both her junior and senior years. She later did two years cheer leading at USC-Aiken and then was on the USC DANCE TEAM at USC in Columbia. She was an excellent cheer leader and also dance team member at USC in Columbia, SC. I don't think that ever got the recognition that they deserved for not only being "quality athletes" but also being a part the athletic program at each school.

How many of you Gamecock Parents have felt this sentiment or have stories to share about cheer leading being done fairly or within the rules at USC OR at their respective high schools???
    My oldest granddaughter was a cheerleader at Woodmont HS for two years. My wife and I
    attended a lot of her competitions during those two years and we were extremely proud of
    the work she and her team mates put in. .. She eventually got out of it because the level of
    competition required more of her time than she was wiling to put into it. She became more
    interested in social life during HS than in Cheerleading and the competition.
    We have a niece who wanted to get into some kind of sport when she started going to
    Middle school in Laurens but because she hadn't played any organized sport before then
    she found out it was going to be all but impossible to make the Softball, Basketball or
    Volleyball team which is what she was talking about doing. She had an older friend who was
    on the Dance team for Laurens HS Band and helped her workout and get familiar with some
    of their basic routines. Nicole (my niece) enjoyed doing that a lot and tried out and made
    the JV Dance team starting in the 8th grade. She stayed with it until she graduated at
    Laurens and my wife and I met up with my brother during those years at several High
    Schools in SC to watch her team complete in the band competitions over those years.
    Laurens was one of the better bands in SC and won a lot of those competitions. Nicole
    became the captain of the dance team her Senior year and won several awards as the
    leader of the dance team and color guard. I'll join you in saying that those who compete
    in Cheerleading and drill teams work extremely hard at what they do and don't get nearly
    the recognition for their efforts as they should.

I was fully expecting to open the thread to hot Carolina cheerleaders and a group of cows dressed as clempson cheerleaders. Pssst what a let down!

Also please dont try to make people think that cheerleading is a sport. It's cheering for a sport. Don't confuse the two.

From what I have seen to borrow from someone else'e post, there is a difference between cheering for a sport and cheering as a sport. Students involved in competitive cheering can get credit (might count as a PE type class 1 credit hour per year on the team - same as any student athlete). Those involved in cheering for a sport do not get credit.

WE NEED PICS!!! Whether you are cheering 'as' or 'for', nowadays you need to be extremely athletic to cheer. This falls in the figure skating or pro wrestling category for me, even NASCAR to an extent, in that you have to be athletic but you have to be artistic too...it is probably more like figure skating in that your competition, when cheering 'as', is not on the field with you while you are competing. My favorite cheering teams are for beach volleyball, they cheer in bikinis. We do needs pics, and lots of them, to fully explore this topic.

"Fear causes hesitation,
    And hesitation causes
    Your worst fears
    to come true." Bodhi.

"Fear causes hesitation,
    And hesitation causes
    Your worst fears
    to come true." Bodhi.

:
    Attached Images Attached Images