Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

1st Team All-American Blitzkrieg's Avatar

Default Re: Official 2019 Atlanta Braves Thread

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    The stadium was absolutely beautiful. Makes Turner Field look like a steaming pile of you know what. I was in section 240, which is second level on the third base side looking right at the middle of left field. From looking around, I really don't think there's a bad seat in the house. Thought the fan experience was good. Didn't walk through the whole stadium to see everything though. When my phone charges up, I'll post some of the pics I took tonight.

As for the game, they won 11-7 with Markakis and Donaldson hitting solo shots. Top 5 of the lineup all had 2 hits a piece and all position starters except for Alex Jackson got a hit. I thought Newk was going to have a good game. He got through the first on 7 or 8 pitches, then it just fell apart for him in the 2nd. Touki Toussaint, just called up from Gwinnett, gave 6 excellent innings in long relief. He had some filthy stuff. I think he hit 94 mph on his fastball a couple of times and it sat at 91-92 for most of the game. He had an absolutely filthy splitter that went 86-88 and just had the bottom fall out. Made a few hitters look really bad on those and wound up with 7 K if I'm not mistaken. If he can keep that up, he's going to be really good.
    You picked a good one to go to, it was long though. Looking forward to the pictures, we haven't been to Sun Trust yet.
    Veterans: All gave some, some gave all.

I'm not the best photographer, but these were some of the better shots I got.

Name:  20190413_194057-756x1008.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  275.8 KB

Name:  20190413_190416-1008x756.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  249.9 KB

Name:  20190413_190406-1008x756.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  208.1 KB

Name:  20190413_190356-1008x756.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  233.7 KB

Nice!

Could've been a Contender COCKDIESEL's Avatar

Went last night for the Dbacks game. The stadium is great, not really a bad seat from what i could tell. There were plenty of concessions and lines were pretty short. The outside of the stadium looked great and there was a ton to do. It really helps me imagine what the thought was for the fireflies stadium in Columbia on a larger scale. As far as the game went, up until Max came out they played great and although they lost at least it was at the hands of Christian Walker who had a great game including the go ahead homer in the ninth.

Sure, he's got a fastball, but it's time to send Sobotka down to the minors. Maybe he can figure things out and get called back up later in the year.

Inexplicable that they didn't add anything to the pen this off-season. I didn't think they needed a starter with all the in-house options they had short of something that would have allowed them to bring in an ace type pitcher. But, I thought them adding to the pen was a forgone conclusion, and they did nothing. Of course, they also lied about having all this money to spend since I think their payroll is lower this year than last year.

Austin Riley with a home run in his mlb debut. Kid's got a smooth, powerful swing. Look forward to seeing him play more. Got a feeling he's going to force the team into keeping him in the bigs.

I love the Dallas Keuchel signing! Gausman and Folty suck ass right now, and though it may take a month or so to get him in the rotation, he'll be there for the stretch run. Hopefully we'll put Gausman or Folty out to pasture in the BP for low leverage situations and go get Bumgarner or Stroman at the deadline so the other can go too. Do that and grab a late innings guy as well, and this team can compete for a WS.

There is little downside to the signing of Keuchel. With Mike Fast and Brian McCann likely vouching for him I think that is a great sign. I hope he can get ramped up quickly at Gwinnett and get into the rotation. That being said, I wish the FO would sit Snit down and order him to have our pitchers skip starts or do a 6 man rotation. As previously mentioned, Gausman is a tire fire right now (he needs a DL stint to get his offspeed pitches worked out) and Folty looks lost. Snit is old school as hell, so I know he won’t embrace the analytical side of things, but I’m worried that we will see a repeat of last year with the regression of the entire team due to a lack of rest. Sadly this year, there is another team in the division that isn’t a complete train wreck, so we don’t have the buffer zone fall off.

I'd be in favor of a 6 man rotation, or at the very least give Toussaint and Newcomb some spot starts in place of Soroka and Fried. I do hope they more closely monitor their innings. It looks like (just quick and dirty observation, nothing actually calculated) that both are on pace to pitch 180+ innings this year. Counting their minors work, it would be the largest workload both have had as a professional. It would be about 60 more innings than Fried's previous high and about 30 more innings for Soroka. I saw a study a couple of years ago that stated when pitchers surpass their previous workload high by 40 or more innings, they're twice as likely to sustain a serious injury. Fried has already had Tommy John and Soroka was out half of last year due to shoulder problems, so it might get into trouble waters towards the end of the year.

As for Folty, 3 of his last 4 starts were ok (6 IP with 3 or fewer ER), so hopefully he can get back on track. I think the first few starts he was pressing and trying to do too much too soon.

Really excited about this Riley kid. Need to get Acuna, Albies, and Donaldson going.

I'd agree with Donaldson and Albies, but Acuna has been hitting well the last week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
    I'd agree with Donaldson and Albies, but Acuna has been hitting well the last week or so.
    Yeah, he's starting to heat up.

Nice comeback win against the Fish today for the sweep.

So, the only way Keuchel could pitch this weekend is if we have a pitcher placed on the DL. In theory, if Gausman gets shelled tonight and Keuchel pitches well in Rome, a phantom DL stint could happen for Gausman and Keuchel could be in line to start either Friday or Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
    So, the only way Keuchel could pitch this weekend is if we have a pitcher placed on the DL. In theory, if Gausman gets shelled tonight and Keuchel pitches well in Rome, a phantom DL stint could happen for Gausman and Keuchel could be in line to start either Friday or Saturday.
    The plan is to give him 2 starts in the minors to assess where he's at. If ready, they'll activate him then, which would probably have his Atl debut on the 20th or 21st. He's scheduled to start today for Rome, so it'll be interesting to see how he does.

When he is ready, there are still some guys that could be optioned. More likely imo is to dfa Blevins (again).

Correct, but if Gausman gets shelled tonight and Keuchel looks good I could absolutely see them changing those plans with the Phillies in town. Can’t afford to give away one of the games automatically with how the next few weeks of games line up.

Could've been a Contender COCKDIESEL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
    Correct, but if Gausman gets shelled tonight and Keuchel looks good I could absolutely see them changing those plans with the Phillies in town. Can’t afford to give away one of the games automatically with how the next few weeks of games line up.
    Touki and Newcomb have looked pretty good recently, could see one of them get Gausman or Folty’s next start if they both struggle early week.

Quote Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
    Touki and Newcomb have looked pretty good recently, could see one of them get Gausman or Folty’s next start if they both struggle early week.
    Well, we’re at 1 of 2 after last night.